Message to Lou: Use the Cap Space

devilsrule33

murray would be dancing in the streets if he could get this return for heatley. he could flip one of these guys for an established nhl player for sure. pacioretty, for example, has 2 years left on an entry level deal and is 3 years away from arbitration eligibility. even if he is only a 15-25-40 type of player that's still massive value when the going rate for this sort of player is around $2 million.

33: didn't see your post before making mine but a smart GM would be able to parlay this return into established players easily.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kovalev was signed because Heatley was supposed to go to Edmonton. It broke as a huge story that he declined the trade because he told the Ottawa management otherwise.

As he is my favorite player, he's being a baby... He wants to stay in Ottawa but wants to get his way 100%

Of course I don't know what they are personally thinking up there. No one does really...

There was also a deal in place with San Jose that didn't get much press because the Sharks are decently secretive. Heatley declined that trade as well.

He will most likely decline the trade to Montreal if the Habs actually clear cap space to make it happen.

The only team he is willing to go to is the Rangers sadly and they don't have anything to offer Ottawa that doesn't severely mess up their roster more than it already is.

This thread has taken a fascinating turn. It's like reading a tabloid magazine about the NHL, featuring Dany Heatley.

Tri, I agree that MTL would be screwed acquiring Heatley and barring other major moves. My point was simply that if they wanted to take on his salary, they could. Doesn't mean it's smart or going to happen, but it could be done - just like the Devils could, in theory, trade for Brad Richards. Definite potential to screw the pooch in the long-run (and possibly the short-run, too), but if the Habs were insistent upon landing Heatley, they could do it.

There are so many weird things going on with this Heatley discussion I don't even know where to begin. The one that most jumped out at me was that Kovalev was signed "because Heatley was supposed to go to Edmonton." Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Kovalev signed AFTER Heatley had openly rejected the trade to Edmonton? Now if Kovalev was signed as insurance in case Heatley moved on/held out/whatever, fine, and most people speculated that. But to sign him because Heatley was "supposed" to already be somewhere else, that doesn't hold water with me.

From what I understand, Heatley declining the trade wasn't a set in stone motion. He'd go to Edmonton if another team that was on his 12 team list didn't present a deal. I think Edmonton acted too fast in their offer... If they waited until mid-August, Heatley would be an Oiler... but no one knew that there wouldn't be any interest like this.

From what I understand, Heatley declining the trade wasn't a set in stone motion. He'd go to Edmonton if another team that was on his 12 team list didn't present a deal. I think Edmonton acted too fast in their offer... If they waited until mid-August, Heatley would be an Oiler... but no one knew that there wouldn't be any interest like this.

why would heatley know there was an offer for him? ottawa wouldn't get offers, then ask heatley, then decide if they should make the trade. obviously they would get offers, decide if the trade is fair, then ask heatley.

If you've been paying attention to how Murray has been doing things... you'll know this situation isn't being handled on a normal scale.

I personally think that Murray is tampering with the situation and lying to Heatley to keep him in Ottawa.

If you've been paying attention to how Murray has been doing things... you'll know this situation isn't being handled on a normal scale.

I personally think that Murray is tampering with the situation and lying to Heatley to keep him in Ottawa.

What the hell are you talking about? Tampering? Bryan Murray can do what he wants and owes Dany Heatley nothing. Heatley sandbagged the entire organization with this trade request.

Seriously, you have no idea how Murray is handling all of this. Edmonton acted too fast? Yes they wanted player like Heatley, but they should wait until August? Are you serious? The Sens had put a July 1st deadline on trading him. But the Oilers should have only offered the deal after the deadline and also waited until Heatley realized that no one on his "list" wanted him.

This is beyond ridiculous.

I told you I wasn't BSing. Neither the Habs or the Sharks can satisfy Murray so it seems that a three team deal is being discussed

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=463359

"According to The Ottawa Sun there is talk between the Sharks and Senators, but the Sharks may not have what Senators General Manager Bryan Murray wants for Heatley, so the deal is rumored to opened to a third team, reportedly the Montreal Canadiens."

That's a little different than Heatley going to the Canadiens. As in, that report speculates he'd go to the Sharks.

There's no confirmation in there that the Canadiens made an offer, much less an "unsatisfying" one for Heatley. The Canadiens are the third team in the ring to try and facilitate Heatley's movement to San Jose.

That's a little different than Heatley going to the Canadiens. As in, that report speculates he'd go to the Sharks.

There's no confirmation in there that the Canadiens made an offer, much less an "unsatisfying" one for Heatley. The Canadiens are the third team in the ring to try and facilitate Heatley's movement to San Jose.

Yeah that's the whole thing. Montreal is after Marleau as well... The Canadiens don't have the cap space to pull off the Heatley trade they wanted, and would send the same players to Ottawa, Ottawa sends Heatley to the Sharks, the Sharks would send Marleau to the Habs.

IF the Habs pull off either situation, they will have two of the top lines in the league while having NO depth. I question how Gainey is running things.

Yeah that's the whole thing. Montreal is after Marleau as well... The Canadiens don't have the cap space to pull off the Heatley trade they wanted, and would send the same players to Ottawa, Ottawa sends Heatley to the Sharks, the Sharks would send Marleau to the Habs.

IF the Habs pull off either situation, they will have two of the top lines in the league while having NO depth. I question how Gainey is running things.

habs have plenty of depth. it depends on what they give up in this deal for marleau. i don't think the price should be exorbitant - plateau is overpaid and he's on the last year of his deal. pacioretty, 2nd, 3rd could get it done, or pacioretty, d'agostini, 3rd, imo.

I don't know Tri... I would NOT want to give up Patches or D'Ag if I was Montreal. Both are young and very promising.

i don't think both are 'very promising' - i mean, both are probably nhl players, but i don't think either really has superstar potential. d'agostini looks to be a 40-60 point RW, pacioretty around the same on LW. now pacioretty is very valuable, but i'd hope that montreal recognizes how valuable a super-cheap young player is in this day and age - i doubt montreal has to give up both guys.

For those keeping score, Marleau would have to agree to such a deal, seeing as he has a NTC.

Exactly. I don't know why his name has been thrown around so much this summer.

Actually, I was also pointing out that in your trade scenario both Heatley and Marleau would have to agree to waive their NTCs.

Plus, MTL acquiring Marleau is about the same as them acquiring Heatley in terms of the implications for the salary cap both this year and next. (see earlier pages in thread for revisit of that discussion)

Actually, I was also pointing out that in your trade scenario both Heatley and Marleau would have to agree to waive their NTCs.

Plus, MTL acquiring Marleau is about the same as them acquiring Heatley in terms of the implications for the salary cap both this year and next. (see earlier pages in thread for revisit of that discussion)

I know you're just trying to be an a$$hole, so mission accomplished.

1.3 mil (the differences of the contracts) is a lot when determining which players to include in an offer and how to clear space.

And I know they both have NTC. I'm not retarded.

And this is Marleau's last contract year. So next year is not a factor.

Edited by njdevil26

Not trying to be an a**hole, just pointing out that I didn't get why you were saying the Canadiens wanted to get Marleau if they facilitated a trade for Heatley. They'd take on a lot of salary for one year of Marleau and then lose him to free agency. If they give up the names listed before - Pacioretty, D'Agostini + draft picks - that's a lot for a one-year rental, wouldn't you agree? Especially since it would put them over the cap.

Or do you think that Montreal's feeling big pressure on the heels of a "disappointing" centennial season so they're trying to make an even bigger splash than when they brought in the Mites on Ice line? It's possible.

And by typing "see earlier pages" that was more in reference to other posters coming in so they wouldn't restart that whole debate from earlier.

Let's try to avoid the name-calling, shall we?

As you can see, Montreal has pretty much re-vamped their roster. With exception to a few players, it didn't seem like Gainey was interested in retaining a core.

Marleau was rumored to be targeted by the Canadiens at the deadline and on draft day if the Habs couldn't land Vinny Lecavalier. As you can see, none of this happened.

From what I make of this, the Habs were in it for Heatley and presented a package to Ottawa. They were searching for a minor deal to make to clear cap space for Heatley and couldn't. San Jose is looking to land Heatley as well and has higher priced assets to make cap space. So it seems as if Montreal is going back in the direction of Marleau because it seems a three team deal could bring them either Marleau or Heatley.

Marleau makes more sense in my eyes for Montreal because they need a center. Gomez-Gionta, Cammalleri-Marleau making up two lines (with plug ins) makes for a powerful offense.

The reason why one year of Marleau makes a lot of sense for Montreal is because after the season, his 6.3 comes off the books and (previously the players traded for Marleau are off the books) and they can focus their finances on re-signing Price, Halak, Mara, Chipchura, Lapierre, Latandresse, Sergei Kostitsyn, Glen Metropolit, and Tomas Plekanec who ALL need new contracts next year.

Forgive me for the name calling. It's been a bad day. That's very unlike me.

Edited by njdevil26