Message to Lou: Use the Cap Space

devilsrule33

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Habs aren't done. They are looking to clear cap space.

More bs from your "friend" Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)?

I wonder him nay HABS hits he'll generate from this one.

Edited by DevilinLA

Lou isn't going to just waste money. Remember, in this economy, regardless of cap, teams have to be smart with their money. You cannot sign every 'low risk-high reward' player to one year contracts and just hope for the best and if they don't work out say 'oh well, it was a one year contract.' It's still money, it is still wasted. Unless it is something this team could: a) build on; b) instruct upon, it is a useless transaction. Adding Zubov won't do too much for this team, other than burn at least 2 million. There are options out there, at the prices through trade, while the free agent market is low. Even signing a player like Malhotra won't do much when there is not the space for him, if anything it makes the team worse going to the future when players like Pelley do not develop and end out with a snubbed career.

Actually Ek got this info from me.

I hope you're joking.

Either way, anyone considering any type of credible career in sports journalism should be distancing themselves from this prince of hockey-wanna-be-journalism fools.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) is to sports journalism what YouTube is to cinema.

A case of where the accessibility of technology dilutes the "art" of the actual profession.

Edited by DevilinLA

Going back to one of our recurring names, Jason Williams - I was thinking this morning that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Detroit offer him something (he'd help offset the loss of Hudler to the KHL)... and lo and behold I find a report that the Red Wings have made an offer, a one-year deal. Seems about right.

re: Eric Belanger - who was it that was saying he had the potential to be an 80-point player just last year? Was that Lemaire?

edit: Yes, it was. Look at that, memory serves. I guess Jacques said that in the opening of the 2007 season, given the context here.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores108/108285/NHL830029.htm

And Belanger had one less point in 4 more games the next season. This just gives us a head up to take anything Lemaire says about offense with a grain of salt.

I hope you're joking.

I'm not. I get a good deal of info on the down low before things happen. He gets some info from me as I chat with him regularly. If you want to know the deal with this trade, PM me... I'll tell you. Just don't want to put it out in the open.

I'm not. I get a good deal of info on the down low before things happen. He gets some info from me as I chat with him regularly. If you want to know the deal with this trade, PM me... I'll tell you. Just don't want to put it out in the open.

Nothing against you personally 26, but the "I got the inside track" and name dropping is getting a little old.

Right, some 20-something dude in Jersey has the "insides" on the hockey workings of Montreal - before any of the MAJOR writers of the MAJOR media outlets with their years of source contacts in the profession has the story.

I prefer not to get my sports journalism from someone "Working on" their stuff straight out of, or still in college.

With the exception of about 3 people there (whose careers have been proven over time), I will never consider anyone who associates with Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) a legit source or journalist.

I think it says alot about that part of the industry when anyone who can put up a blog (basically fans with computers) is now a journalist.

Hey whatever man... I understand you not believing me. The story will break Friday or Saturday of either a major deal going through, or the second GM running his mouth about what the Habs offered because this guy has been botching up the whole summer.

Hey whatever man... I understand you not believing me. The story will break Friday or Saturday of either a major deal going through, or the second GM running his mouth about what the Habs offered because this guy has been botching up the whole summer.

Sent you a PM to better convey my point. No disrespect intended.

and i ask again: where is the cap room? if the habs waive georges laraque, they're down to 52.3. but they have to get down to 49.3 to add heatley. so even if plekanec + goes in the deal and they get heatley, they have 10 or 11 forwards signed and they're pretty much at the cap (and that's with laraque waived). it'd be a super tight fit - they'd probably have to go with 20 skaters for a good portion of the year.

Edited by Triumph

and i ask again: where is the cap room? if the habs waive georges laraque, they're down to 52.3. but they have to get down to 49.3 to add heatley. so even if plekanec + goes in the deal and they get heatley, they have 10 or 11 forwards signed and they're pretty much at the cap (and that's with laraque waived). it'd be a super tight fit - they'd probably have to go with 20 skaters for a good portion of the year.

Ah fvck it I don't care if I get in trouble...

Everyone here knows I love Heatley... and besides the Devils, I'm a Habs fan. So I'd love the two to meet.... but that's why I'm scratching my head...

Gainey offered Max Pacioretty, Matt D'Agostini, Ben Maxwell, and a 1st rounder to Ottawa for Heatley and a 5th.

The cap numbers don't add up, and Gainey is trading three very young VERY promising players... this guy is Sather-esque.

Kinda figured it was Heatley nj26 was referring to... not too many high-priced stars are on the chopping block right now. Still don't see how it would work numbers-wise if those were the terms... as Tri pointed out, they're far from cap-flexible.

I guess they could waive Hamrlik and Laraque. That would put them at 48 and change, 55.5 with Heatley on the roster. Their defense would take something of a hit - top six of Markov, Spacek, Gill, Mara, Gorges, and O'Byrne - and they'd be pretty screwed come next year with re-signing Price, Halak, Sergei Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Lapierre, Chipchura, and Plekanec (UFA)... but hey, for a one-year splash they could make it happen.

Kinda figured it was Heatley nj26 was referring to... not too many high-priced stars are on the chopping block right now. Still don't see how it would work numbers-wise if those were the terms... as Tri pointed out, they're far from cap-flexible.

I guess they could waive Hamrlik and Laraque. That would put them at 48 and change, 55.5 with Heatley on the roster. Their defense would take something of a hit - top six of Markov, Spacek, Gill, Mara, Gorges, and O'Byrne - and they'd be pretty screwed come next year with re-signing Price, Halak, Sergei Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Lapierre, Chipchura, and Plekanec (UFA)... but hey, for a one-year splash they could make it happen.

they'd basically have to trade price in the off-season. oh and all their young, cheap players would be gone besides yanick weber. i cannot imagine that this offer ever took place. nhl ready guys on entry-level deals are insanely valuable (although d'agostini is arb-eligible next year i guess).

they'd basically have to trade price in the off-season. oh and all their young, cheap players would be gone besides yanick weber. i cannot imagine that this offer ever took place. nhl ready guys on entry-level deals are insanely valuable (although d'agostini is arb-eligible next year i guess).

It's a situation where Murray is demanding the world for Heatley still, which is why Heatley is still a Sen... The Habs believe they have a salary dumping deal in place with another team which is where the rumor came last night where the Habs were looking to dump salary. The offer has been made by Gainey... but it's not official until the Habs can clear up the space which I have no idea how they are going to do that.

Couple of things. This is till probably BS. And this kind of goes against what Murray said he wanted from Heatley...and that was solid NHL bodies. He got that in the Oilers deal (Penner, Cogliano, and Smid) and that was far from demanding the world for Heatley. And the reason Heatley is still a Senator is not because of Murray but because Heatley refused a deal to the Oilers and is being difficult. Not that many teams are interested either.

26: When and where did this love for Heatley come from?

Tri: Habs still have P.K. Subban

Edited by devilsrule33

Couple of things. This is till probably BS. And this kind of goes against what Murray said he wanted from Heatley...and that was solid NHL bodies. He got that in the Oilers deal (Penner, Cogliano, and Smid) and that was far from demanding the world for Heatley. And the reason Heatley is still a Senator is not because of Murray but because Heatley refused a deal to the Oilers and is being difficult. Not that many teams are interested either.

26: When and where did this love for Heatley come from?

Tri: Habs still have P.K. Subban

The Oilers offered up the most for Heatley. Murray took the bait. Heatley wants to play for a good team. Murray is forced to look for lesser deals now. If I were the Sens I would do that deal because Patches and D'Ag are solid young guys that won't cause a cap probably which Ottawa currently has.

As for Heater, I've liked him since he was on Atlanta. I saw an awesome player in him immediately. A big guy that can skate and has an absolutely devastating shot, consistent, all around solid player. I've always wished he was a Devil.

The Oilers offered up the most for Heatley. Murray took the bait. Heatley wants to play for a good team. Murray is forced to look for lesser deals now. If I were the Sens I would do that deal because Patches and D'Ag are solid young guys that won't cause a cap probably which Ottawa currently has.

As for Heater, I've liked him since he was on Atlanta. I saw an awesome player in him immediately. A big guy that can skate and has an absolutely devastating shot, consistent, all around solid player. I've always wished he was a Devil.

Be honest here. You have no idea what's going on with Healtey and specifically his mindset. Maybe he just doesn't want to play in the the city of Edmonton like everyone else. Maybe he actually never really wanted to leave Ottawa until a few personal things went down. And I have to question your watching of Heatley because he is not a very good skater.

Who knows how much power Murray has? Some people are speculating that Melnyk had a lot to do with the Kovalev signing. Would he want to lose Heatley for a few players that might not help the team this season. I think if they trade Heatley...they are looking for some players that can get them to the playoffs now.