Us Census Worker Found Dead

David Puddy

Well, if you didn't know, she is the one who raised a great deal of suspicion about the census and stated she wouldn't participate or give any information beyond the number of people in her household. So, yeah, it's an offhand comment, but it's not without merit.

I did some work for the census in the fall and am currently training to do more field work where I'd have to knock on every door and interview people to get their correct address and basic information about their house such as whether or not they have any basement or garage apartments.

Of course we don't know the details here. We don't know whether this guy is a more extreme version of Ashley Todd, but that is doubtful considering the circumstances. We don't know if he stumbled across some sort of illegal activity, though it doesn't make sense to make it look like a lynching in that case.

What I can tell you is census data is confidential, and cannot be shared with anyone outside the Census Bureau. The penalty is up to 5 years in jail and up to a $250,000 fine. The Census Bureau knows where this man was assigned to work. They at least know the exact block he was assigned to, the path he was supposed to travel, and may even know the exact addresses he was supposed to visit. However none of this can be shared with the FBI due to Title 13 of the US Code. So even if this guy did stumble across something illegal, he couldn't report it without violating the law.

Frankly it scares me. I know personally of many census workers who have had dogs sicked on them (one lady I'm training with was bitten twice) and have had guns pulled on them in the course of their work. There's just so much anti-government sentiment out there that people are distrustful of what are just regular people working a temporary job to earn some money.

With all the hype, you'd think everyone out there is working for ACORN or something. But really, there's no job interview. You take a test, and you're hired based only on your test score and geographic area assuming you pass a standard background check. Most of the people I work with are retirees, unemployed, housewives, or self-employed/commission workers looking to earn some steady money. The right-wing echo chamber, which Michele Bachmann is part of in this case, could definitely lead to people assuming census workers are "feds". All it takes it one psychopath to take this too far, and it could lead to a situation like this.

I know she has problems with it..................but for the lefties running WILD on their sick blogs blaming her and Beck, as you did.................reprehensible.

The wink and a nudge isn't a crime...but when you say things like...

People need to be "armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back." She then told listeners that Thomas Jefferson told us that "having a revolution every now and then is a good thing."

She is a Christian fundamentalist moron, who leads a certain group of people with stupid ideas, flawed logic, and paranoid fantasies.

I hate to agree with leeds but this is the same bogus argument people tried to put on video games and violent movies. Simply put, if someone is deranged or disturbed enough to listen or mimic what someone else says blindly then they probably weren't all there to begin with.

It's a terrible thing that happened, but correlation is not causation.

I hate to agree with leeds but this is the same bogus argument people tried to put on video games and violent movies. Simply put, if someone is deranged or disturbed enough to listen or mimic what someone else says blindly then they probably weren't all there to begin with.

It's a terrible thing that happened, but correlation is not causation.

I think there is a clear difference between artistic things (music, movies, videogames) supposedly inciting people to cause violence...and elected officials who are supposed to lead people.

I think there is a clear difference between artistic things (music, movies, videogames) supposedly inciting people to cause violence...and elected officials who are supposed to lead people.

Sure and if she said "I want my denizens to go out and kill government workers" then I think you have a legit claim towards inciting riots. But to make vague comments about citizens loosing their freedoms and having government take over their lives, no matter how legitimate the claim is or isn't, really can't be tied to some guy murdering a census poller. Another gray area I suppose about where that line is drawn, but I don't think anything any of the republicans have said has really crossed it.

Sure and if she said "I want my denizens to go out and kill government workers" then I think you have a legit claim towards inciting riots. But to make vague comments about citizens loosing their freedoms and having government take over their lives, no matter how legitimate the claim is or isn't, really can't be tied to some guy murdering a census poller. Another gray area I suppose about where that line is drawn, but I don't think anything any of the republicans have said has really crossed it.

Yeah i think most of the party has been very careful how they craft their words. They have for the most part kept it as a "Wink and Nudge". But Bachman has literally called on people to take up arms..I think she has crossed the line a few times.

The wink and a nudge isn't a crime...but when you say things like...

People need to be "armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back." She then told listeners that Thomas Jefferson told us that "having a revolution every now and then is a good thing."

She is a Christian fundamentalist moron, who leads a certain group of people with stupid ideas, flawed logic, and paranoid fantasies.

Holy smokes, that sounds like the Obama administration ;)

here's some more quotes from Bachmann.

"Take this into consideration. If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the Census Bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations at the request of President Roosevelt, and that's how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps," said Bachmann. "I'm not saying that that's what the Administration is planning to do, but I am saying that private personal information that was given to the Census Bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up, in a violation of their constitutional rights, and put the Japanese in internment camps."

"Take this into consideration. If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the Census Bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations at the request of President Roosevelt, and that's how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps," said Bachmann. "I'm not saying that that's what the Administration is planning to do, but I am saying that private personal information that was given to the Census Bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up, in a violation of their constitutional rights, and put the Japanese in internment camps."

Was this statement true or false? If false then it is irresponsible. If it is true then what is your issue?

................annnndddddd......................??????..............

• 2 weeks later...

................annnndddddd......................??????..............

I believe hes using the quote to say that her point was essentially DON'T TELL 'EM ANYTHING or you'll be put in an internment camp.

That being said, I think hes right. But it should be noted that who ever did this was crazy to begin with.

I almost worked for the census this year doing the same thing, but school kept me out of it. Scary.

• 1 month later...

We're just getting to this now? and it happened how long ago?

I have to read this link to see if they have any new info, but they had suspected it was drug related -- paranoid druggies thinking it was a front for Narc investigations.

AHHH -- now I see 731's update. Thanks for that info -- I had wondered how it all turned out and only came in the thread to see what they concluded. Trauma... very sad indeed.

Edited by Pepperkorn

We're just getting to this now? and it happened how long ago?

I have to read this link to see if they have any new info, but they had suspected it was drug related -- paranoid druggies thinking it was a front for Narc investigations.

They were pretty sure it was a suicide from the start but they were waiting to get the DNA stuff back to put the bow on the package.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.