There are less than 5000 people here

metallidevils

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lemme tell you a little story about the Nets and their tickets. Last year, my little brother's elementary school got a bunch of vouchers for four free tickets to a Nets game, and you just had to walk up to the box office at CAA and get them. Now, you'd think these tickets would be nosebleeds, or at least upper level, right? My family (I didn't go, because the NBA sucks) got THIRD ROW FROM THE FLOOR.

A few weeks ago I went to an AIDS awareness seminar with my high school. The Nets were sponsors and gave EVERYONE who went 2 lower level tickets to a choice of one of four games. That's when you know it's bad.

When it comes to the Nets attendance its just piss poor. I mean I have gone on ebay a few times and bought tickets for about $3 $4 a pair and thats pushing it.

Now this is my first year being a Devils Season Ticket Holder (I'm 17) and I have absolutely loved it! Although it is kind of depressing when the arena is empty, I do enjoy it when we have 16k plus in attendance(the 11/28 game was POPPPIN!!). I also like to think of myself as the New Jersey Devils youngest season ticket holder as well(its unoffical but I should try and find out) Believe me my friends think I'm crazy for spending my money on the Devils but I tell my mom everyday that the Prudential Center has become my second home. But what you guys might find most shocking besides my age is that I am from New York!

I cannot blame you one bit. The Rangers are an organization is chaos, are again a non-factor and probably will not even make the eighth seed and miss the playoffs like so many other years. The Rock (Prudential Center) is a beautiful state of the art facility and is a superb arena to watch a hockey game. So much so that MSG is using most of their ideas to renovate the Garden, which is a dump. Sadly, the 'world's most famous areans' is a lousy and dirty mess so I can honestly understand your love for The Rock and your desire to be a Devils fan.

As always for Devils fans, enjoy the season!

This is awful.

The answer has not changed as it remains the same and can be summed up in one word: Marketing.

The New Jersey Devils are an elite organization and team and we (the fans) have truly appreciated all the triumphs and joys that they have provided us during the past 27 years (okay, perhaps not too many during the first 5 or 6 seasons, :lol: )

Where do they fall short? Marketing! The Devils need to blanket the region and go hard in Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Middlesex, Union, Monmouth, Ocean, Sussex, Warren, Somerset, Hunterdon, Mercer, Rockland (NY) and Orange (NY).

Start by opening 'Devils Den' kiosks in the malls, Newark Airport and Penn Station. I travel a bit and every airport I go to the local team's clothing and other items are plastered everywhere! Why not here?

Have huge Devils banners at all the rinks, make occasional stops to pass out some t-shirts and hats. Provide large banners with the season schedule and a beer vendor to all sports bars in the counties listed above. Get that Devils logo in everyone's face. Have the Devils' mascot appear at high school hockey games unannounced to take photos, pass out pocket schedules, perhaps a few t-shirts, pens, etc.

Start producing DVDs for sale of great moments in Devils history, great players, etc. You have to keep marketing, marketing, marketing.

I need to chime in on this topic. First some background. I'm 39 and have been a fan since the mid 80's. I went to a few games in the 1990's at Brendyn Byrne Arena, aka Continental Airlines Arena and I'll agree it was a dump. Last year at work I discovered a coworker who loved the Devils as much as I did and we decided to get partial flex plan tix to 8 games. We also went to other games that were offered as specials. Those include throwback price night, college night (friend who could get tix), and various other specials that brought the price down to about 40 bucks a ticket.

The hardest part for me is finding another fan who is willing to go to the games.

The next thing that is highly annoying for me is that the section I sit in, normally 120 area is 60 face value and for partial flex plan holders it's 52 dollars. For full Season it's 40 dollars i believe. If I bought the full season, they Devils marketing dept will offer college night and other specials for 35 dollars. That's insulting. You screw the season ticket holders by making them pay 5 dollars more per ticket? What incentive is it to buy full season when there are all these specials during the year? IT's great to get other fans in the stands but for fans like me who arn't rich but would love to go to a lot of games it makes me wait for the specials instead of buying full or even half season tickets.

The Devils need to get fans interested in hockey for the long haul. I like what they are doing with the mites on ice and youth hockey programs in New Jersey. That will help in the long run. Also the alumni games are nice for building community relations. All good.

The bottom line is dollars for me and also finding other fans to go with. It's cheaper to buy on stub hub sometimes that at the box office. Those convienince fees are a joke.

Scoops... OUT

The next thing that is highly annoying for me is that the section I sit in, normally 120 area is 60 face value and for partial flex plan holders it's 52 dollars. For full Season it's 40 dollars i believe. If I bought the full season, they Devils marketing dept will offer college night and other specials for 35 dollars. That's insulting. You screw the season ticket holders by making them pay 5 dollars more per ticket? What incentive is it to buy full season when there are all these specials during the year? IT's great to get other fans in the stands but for fans like me who arn't rich but would love to go to a lot of games it makes me wait for the specials instead of buying full or even half season tickets.

The nights when there are ticket specials valued at less than STH prices are rare, so you don't go to 3/4 of the games.. You get the season tickets because you get a very low price for all 41 games.. You also get the various bonuses like playoff and Cup tickets (that alone is huge) plus you get the STH barbeque and the renewal prizes (I got platinum lounge tickets for Friday's Ottawa game.. these tickets are impossible to find)..

So when you factor in that the special price nights are rare AND you get a lot of cool stuff AND you know if the Devils go deep in the playoffs you'll be there without getting raped on StubHub.. Seems worth it to me and thousands of other fans B )

Sorry Colin didnt mean to burst your bubble their.

But I am glad that I am part of the Devils Legion. I kind of like it how we have built our teams over the years on chemistry and not just throw money at people (For example the Rangers and Gomez deal) our depth is far greater then most teams and thats why we make the playoffs every year. Although I wish we would sign one big named guy besides having the Great Brodeur already with us.

As far as the ticket situation is concerned I do believe that the reason we also dont draw as well as we could is because our location. I mean just look at the Knicks they are a poor playing team(although I am a fan of them still) and they sell 98% of their seats consistently. Its because they are so centrally located thats its pretty much an easy ride to get to. But as long as the Devils keep up what were doing this season numbers will begin to rise. But we need a big playoff run even a Stanley Cup to help boost sales for years to come!

it sucks to watch a hockey game when your row is full too. unless you're an attention whore, it shouldn't matter if anyone is there.

The lack of a crowd has a definite influence on the ambiance and the involvement of those who are there. I've seen crowds go from 5000 to 4000 to 3000 to 2000 to "I can almost count the people" down here and if you don't think it makes a difference you are mistaken.