Martin Brodeur on WFAN

oofrostonoo

I don't know who's worse in this discussion, those of you that are naive enough to think Marty would never go play for another organization.. or those of you convinced he's as good as signed with the Canadiens in 2 years.

I'm not saying he's good as signed, just that it wouldn't shock me. It also wouldn't shock me to see him retire as a Devil.

It would surprise me if he played out his contract and went to Nashville or something. What I'm saying is that logically there aren't many places for him to go, especially if he manages another cup in Jersey during the next few years. At 40 and a UFA, he'll be looking for comfort, convenience, and a shot at some more success.

Yep. Like Roy. And Thibault. And Theodore. And Huet. C'mon Tri, you know the atmosphere Montreal. The media runs that team, and they are very very fickle when it comes to goalies. Goalies get run out of town for the next big thing all the time up there.

If Marty became a free agent and expressed interest in Montreal, that city would explode at the chance to sign him. The pressure on the team to sign him would be unbearable.

why would you run a goalie out of town to sign a 41 year old goalie? it doesn't make any sense at all.

huet didn't get run out of town - the canadiens drafted a goalie 5th overall in 04, and he was going to start. you never receive full value for goaltenders anyway. i think it is very, very unlikely that brodeur would ever play in montreal.

why would you run a goalie out of town to sign a 41 year old goalie? it doesn't make any sense at all.

Because that's what they do. Theodore was the toast of the town until he started to play poorly, and then he was blamed for all of Montreal's woes.

huet didn't get run out of town - the canadiens drafted a goalie 5th overall in 04, and he was going to start. you never receive full value for goaltenders anyway. i think it is very, very unlikely that brodeur would ever play in montreal.

Price was drafted in 2005 and was thrown into the AHL as soon as his junior season ended so he could play for the Bulldogs in the playoffs. The next year, Huet was the guy in Montreal until Price (who was rushed into the NHL based on 20 AHL playoff games) started playing well, and then since the fans and media started calling Price the next Dryden or Roy, Huet was expendable. Relying on 2 rookie goalies going into the playoffs is poor planning, and probably cost them. Price didn't have an amazing playoff and there was no veteran to step in and take the heat. I lived with a Canadiens fan during a lot of this. He sent me plenty of articles that described the mindset up there. They had all but started engraving the cup up there that year. Look at whats going on now between Halak and Price.

I didn't say it was a definite, I'm just saying I could see them toss some bucks his way. Are you telling me that if Price falters (which, by the way, I doubt) that they wouldn't feel pressured to do something? Again, I feel Price will shape into an amazing goalie, but funny things happen sometimes.

I just want Marty to retire in Jersey.

This thread is a farce. Honestly. Marty was asked a question. No athlete or coach ever gives a definite answer one way or the other when asked a question like this. Ever. The Miami media always used to ask Marino if he would retire a Dolphin... I NEVER heard him give a straight answer. Guess what he did? Retired a Dolphin- and with an offer from Minnesota to play for a Super Bowl contending team to boot. Relax people. Marty won't play for another organization. If I was a mod, I would've locked this thread already it's so ridiculous.

This thread is a farce. Honestly. Marty was asked a question. No athlete or coach ever gives a definite answer one way or the other when asked a question like this. Ever. The Miami media always used to ask Marino if he would retire a Dolphin... I NEVER heard him give a straight answer. Guess what he did? Retired a Dolphin- and with an offer from Minnesota to play for a Super Bowl contending team to boot. Relax people. Marty won't play for another organization. If I was a mod, I would've locked this thread already it's so ridiculous.

2d29jpd.jpg

I wonder how many times the No. 1 sportstalk-radio station in the NJ/NY metro area has interviewed the greatest goaltender in the world, who also happens to play in this same area, before this.

The FAN can eat the corn out of my sh!t. They are a pathetic NY baseball/football station. Nothing interesting about them . They are irelevant to anything sports minded especially hockey.

The FAN is a terrible sports station to listen to for anything other than constant baseball all year long and football during football season. Other than that, they really know next to nothing on any other topic. Steve Sommers knows hockey but is a rangers fan and I cannot stand to listen to him on that topic. A few years back when Anaheim won the cup I think it was the FAN or maybe ESPN radio that announced the next day that Scott and Dan :blink: Neidermayer had won the cup as brothers.

As for Marty, I think it wouldnt shock me to see him in Montreal for his final season just because he probably wants to do it if he were given a realistic oppotunity to play on a winning team there. I certainly would hate to see it happen and it may not happen, but I wouldn't be too suprised to see it.

There are so many possible scenarios for what could happen in 2 1/2 years from now that to speculate or worry about this makes no sense. Who knows what kind of player Marty will be by the time his contract's up? We may be begging him to retire by then.

The only thing I find worth commenting on is, if he's still an effective goalie AND decides he wants (or is forced) to go elsewhere, I wouldn't hold it against him in the slightest. Look at the list of the top ten all-time winningest goalies and how many teams each of them played for (I noted separate tours of duty with the same team as two separate teams in my counts):

1) Marty (1)

2) Roy (2)

3) Belfour (5)

4) Joseph (7)

5) Sawchuk (7)

6) Plante (5)

7) Esposito (2)...his career path is closest to Marty's, in that after playing briefly with Montreal in his first season, he played the rest of his career for one team (Chicago). His 418 wins with one team was the record for that category until Marty obliterated it some time ago.

8) Hall (3)

9) Fuhr (6)

10) Osgood (4)

Would it be great to see Marty retire having worn nothing other than a Devils' jersey? Sure. But should he decide to go to another team, for whatever the reasons, considering that he'll have put up almost all of his numbers HERE, always took less than market value to remain HERE, won three Cups and broke "unbreakable" records HERE, I find impossible to think that such a decision will cheapen anything he accomplished here even a little bit. If anything, I think he's more than earned that right.