GDT:Winter Classic/ Team USA announcement

RSC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How the fvck Chris Drury made the Olympic team is beyond me. He is terrible. Just an awful pick. I cant stand Gomez and he is having a tough season but he still would have been a much better choice then Drury.

Edited by SickMan

2010 U.S. Olympic

Men's Ice Hockey Team

Forwards (13)

David Backes

Dustin Brown

Ryan Callahan

Chris Drury

Patrick Kane

Ryan Kesler

Phil Kessel

Jamie Langenbrunner ( A )

Ryan Malone

Zach Parise ( C )

Joe Pavelski

Bobby Ryan

Paul Stastny

Defensemen (7)

Erik Johnson

Jack Johnson

Mike Komisarek

Paul Martin ( A )

Brooks Orpik

Brian Rafalski

Ryan Suter

Goaltenders (3)

Ryan Miller

Jonathan Quick

Tim Thomas

Edited by funetiklee

I didn't see Gomez, or did I miss it?

He didn't get picked. There is absolutely no way USA medals with this roster. Komisarek is another one that stinks and got selected. I really don't care for Malone but he is having a good year so that pick I could live with.

How the fvck Chris Drury made the Olympic team is beyond me. He is terrible. Just an awful pick. I cant stand Gomez and he is having a tough season but he still would have been a much better choice then Drury.

Yep this is beyond comprehension. Gomez has twice the points so far this year, and probably four times the talent. I might hate Gomez but this is as illogical as it gets.

On a similar note, how Callahan was picked over Gionta is another shocker.

Edited by Amberite

He didn't get picked. There is absolutely no way USA medals with this roster. Komisarek is another one that stinks and got selected. I really don't care for Malone but he is having a good year so that pick I could live with.

I just do not see this team being able to stay with some of the powerhouse squads. I think Canada is going to take the gold...hopefully with Marty in net...

I was wrong about a lot of things with my US predictions, but not about Gomez being left off. Nice to see them go in a different direction.

I don't know man. Going in a different direction is one thing but you have to try to put the best team out there that you can. The most talented players in the world are playing in this tournament and you leave out one of the most skilled centers that represents your country and a guy like Drury makes it? I don't get it.

I don't know man. Going in a different direction is one thing but you have to try to put the best team out there that you can. The most talented players in the world are playing in this tournament and you leave out one of the most skilled centers that represents your country and a guy like Drury makes it? I don't get it.

Indeed, this "different direction" :rolleyes: will make the team miss the medal rounds.

Komisarek , over John Michael Liles <_<

A washed up pylon in Drury over Gomez :blink: I reckon because Burke didn't get Gomez when he was with the Ducks calls for spite here.

I wonder who is on the taxi squad ?

As far as the game was concerned, nice script there by the NHL. Beautiful dive by Savard near the end of the game and a nice missed call when the Bruins had seven men on the ice in OT. WTG NHL :yucky:

Drury is one of the ultimate leaders in the game. His attitude towards the game is everything Gomez's is not. Drury's a guy you want leading a fairly young team. SI did a great article on him a few years ago, and I could definitely understand why Burke wants him on the team.

Before Drury joined the Sabres--acquired from the Flames--the locker room music stayed on loud and long before games, and no one hit the weight room after. Drury walked in his first day and turned off the stereo. "I thought, What's wrong with this guy?" says Buffalo defenseman Brian Campbell. Late during an exhibition game in 2003, one rookie teammate fired off a sloppy pass that led to a scoring chance for the opponents. They didn't score. The Sabres led by four goals. Drury still chewed the rookie out, and when the player retorted that it was only preseason, Drury said, "I don't care. Don't ever do that again." He made a point of sidling up to Miller, then a rookie unsure of how to challenge Biron, and said, "You going to take this job or what?"

"It made me feel like it was O.K. to do what I needed to do," Miller says.

The players knew Drury's history. Everyone began watching how he prepared, stretched, made sure to eat the blandest food to guard against stomach upset. One by one after games, they began hitting the weights. They saw how he still loved the action, how he has to score during practice drills, how, even after Miller blocks his shot, Drury will hover around the net waiting for the puck: just one more shot. And they began to know that the player with the most remarkable resume refused to consider himself remarkable at all. "I'm not extraordinary," Drury says. "I have to work extremely hard because that's how I'm going to succeed. If I coasted or put on weight or didn't work on my game in the summer or didn't lift, I'd take a step back. I would never say, 'I'm good enough.' There's not time enough in the day for me to work on stuff I need to work on."

http://images.si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1104283/1/index.htm

Indeed, this "different direction" :rolleyes: will make the team miss the medal rounds.

Komisarek , over John Michael Liles <_<

A washed up pylon in Drury over Gomez :blink: I reckon because Burke didn't get Gomez when he was with the Ducks calls for spite here.

Do you watch hockey? John-Michael Liles has been a healthy scratch in Colorado. The Komisarek pick was an obvious one since Burke paid a lot of money for him, but Liles had no business being on this team. I'll take Drury voer Gomez any day of the week.

Edited by devilsrule33

Yep this is beyond comprehension. Gomez has twice the points so far this year, and probably four times the talent. I might hate Gomez but this is as illogical as it gets.

On a similar note, how Callahan was picked over Gionta is another shocker.

I am surprised and disappointed that Gionta didn't make it. I know he was recently injured for a short time, but he had been playing great for the Canadiens, or so I thought.

Back to today's game for a second, I am surprised that so many in here were saying it was boring. I thought it was pretty exciting, even while it was 1-0 for a long stretch. And I hate Philly as much as the next guy, but their fans really brought it today. Their "Let's Go Flyers" chants were very loud. Had it been the Devils and Flyers at Giants Stadium and we heard those chants, it might've been embarrassing for us. Although our fans definitely would've been prepared to chant back. I think the Boston fans got caught off-guard at first. But they responded nicely with many chants of their own as the game wore on.

Drury is one of the ultimate leaders in the game. His attitude towards the game is everything Gomez's is not. Drury's a guy you want leading a fairly young team. SI did a great article on him a few years ago, and I could definitely understand why Burke wants him on the team.

Well I would never defend Gomez as a leader because there is no question that he is not. But I will also say that Drury's leadership qualities have been overblown to ridiculous proportions imo. He sure looks like a hell of a leader based on his work with the NYR. People point to his work in the 01 playoffs. Real need for leadership on that Colorado squad. Personally I always considered him an average player at best.

I appreciate work ethic and a guy like Gomez does seem to lack in that department but at the same time skill and ability are very important as well. But this USA squad has tons of leadership as it is. Parise is one of the hardest workers in the league. sh!t, Langs is the captain of our team. Gomez has played in many big games and I just cant see how Drury's alleged leadership qualities are going to provide more to USA then the skills and experience Gomez will bring to the table. One may have a better attitude then the other but I don't think there is any question at all that Gomez is a better player. Intangibles can only do so much for you in a short tournament like this imo.

I don't think his leadership abilities are overblown. How do you motivate overpaid millionaires? No one was able to get Gomez motivated in New Jersey. Who is going to get Redden going? For all we know he has done wonders for a lot of the young kids there. But the article I posted, shows he completely transformed the entire Sabres locker room and turned that team into a Cup contender. Daniel Briere credits him with changing his career.

Now is he one of the most overpaid players of all-time. Absolutely. But that's Glenn Sather for you. Gomez didn't belong on this team.

Do you watch hockey? John-Michael Liles has been a healthy scratch in Colorado. The Komisarek pick was an obvious one since Burke paid a lot of money for him, but Liles had no business being on this team. I'll take Drury over Gomez any day of the week.

Yes I do watch hockey, why do you ask ?

I just don't think Drury over Gomez is a wise choice, and I disagree vehemently that Drury is a leader. I have never seen any evidence to support the claim of Drury being a leader.

So I guess the qualification for Komisarek is that Burke paid a lot to get him to Toronto. What about Komisarek's ice hockey ability ? I thought that was a qualifier to make the team, and not a player's salary ?

I'd have picked JML over Komisarek for sure.

Just a different opinion, that is all. But I find it ironic that you'd pick a player with half the points of a player left out (Gomez-Drury)

And yet support the pick of a high salaried player over a player who has been a "healthy scratch" (Liles-Komisarek) That looks like a contradiction to me.

Yeah Drury hasn't been much of a leader for the Rangers this year or a player for that matter since he has 14 points and a -7 in 35 games. I suspect he got picked for his mythical ability to score clutch goals as much as his leadership, and he did have a huge goal to stun the Rangers in the playoffs a couple years back but who, exactly is going to be USA's second-line center? Ryan Kesler?