2010 NFL thread

MadDog2020

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in that "Deadskin" thread a few months back:

The Redskins looked to me like the most intriguing team in the league the last couple weeks. They blew last-minute leads against some top teams (Dallas, Philly, New Orleans when they were still undefeated, and San Diego). If they can come that close to beating teams of that caliber with that doofus Zorn at the helm, maybe they actually aren't that far off? If they held on in those games, they're a .500 team that went 6-2 down the stretch against top-flight opponents. Or course, maybe the 'Boys, Birds, Saints and Bolts all just fell into that same "trap game" mentality and woke up at the last minute ... literally.

Since then, they've replaced two of the most important elements on the team (retard Zorn and worthless Campbell) with a top coach in Shanahan and a stud QB in McNabb. Their defense is good. They have three guys who have been successful starters competing for the RB job, and competition usually breeds good things.

I dunno ... I kinda think the 'Skins might be pretty damn good next year.

I posted this in that "Deadskin" thread a few months back:

Since then, they've replaced two of the most important elements on the team (retard Zorn and worthless Campbell) with a top coach in Shanahan and a stud QB in McNabb. Their defense is good. They have three guys who have been successful starters competing for the RB job, and competition usually breeds good things.

I dunno ... I kinda think the 'Skins might be pretty damn good next year.

WAY too early to tell, but my thought on this is that they're missing the tied-for-second-maybe-third thing to be successful: good offensive line play. They get solid at some point on that line, and they could be a dangerous football team.

WAY too early to tell, but my thought on this is that they're missing the tied-for-second-maybe-third thing to be successful: good offensive line play. They get solid at some point on that line, and they could be a dangerous football team.

This is true, the O-line is very, very key and the 'Skins gave up 46 sacks last year. But, by the same token, the Steelers allowed 49 sacks when they won it all in '08.

Still, it's a weakness. You're absolutely right. If they solidify that, they can be very dangerous.

This is true, the O-line is very, very key and the 'Skins gave up 46 sacks last year. But, by the same token, the Steelers allowed 49 sacks when they won it all in '08.

Still, it's a weakness. You're absolutely right. If they solidify that, they can be very dangerous.

And its almost a lock that they will wind up with Okung out of Oklahoma St in the draft, who is the best OL in the draft. If everything goes to plan, then St. Louis take Bradford at 1, the Lions take Suh at 2, and the Bucs take McCoy at 3 so they can get him. I doubt he'd be able to step in and be dominate right away, but he's probably still an upgrade over what they currently have.

And its almost a lock that they will wind up with Okung out of Oklahoma St in the draft, who is the best OL in the draft. If everything goes to plan, then St. Louis take Bradford at 1, the Lions take Suh at 2, and the Bucs take McCoy at 3 so they can get him. I doubt he'd be able to step in and be dominate right away, but he's probably still an upgrade over what they currently have.

For whatever reason, the Redskins seem serious about being competitive this year.

They were just kidding around last year when they bought the best free agent? As long as Dan Snyder owns that team, they're going nowhere.

Overpaying an injury prone player like Hainsworth, hiring a coach with O experience like Zorn, to me signaled they weren't serious.

Your right: As long as Synder owns the team, they will go nowhere, but this off season, it looks like someone pulled the fire alarm before Synder could get involved in any decision making.

Overpaying an injury prone player like Hainsworth, hiring a coach with O experience like Zorn, to me signaled they weren't serious.

Your right: As long as Synder owns the team, they will go nowhere, but this off season, it looks like someone pulled the fire alarm before Synder could get involved in any decision making.

Kinda reminds me of the Yanks/the Steinbrenners. They went from gobbling up every big name that became available, no matter how bad of a fit, to singling out the right big names.

Whether or not Shanahan and McNabb turn out to be as good of a fit as Sabathia and Teixeira remains to be seen, but it definitely seems like they're stepping in a better direction than they used to.

He's going with his Yankees/Redskins analogy. Sabathia and Texiera are the first "big name" free agents the Yankees have brought in in quite some time that have fit well and lead them to a championship.

Thanks Marty. I never heard of either.

Thanks Marty. I never heard of either.

As well you should not.... the Yankee game was on at the bar last night, and I swear to God it made the director's cut of 2012 seem fast paced and full of excitement :P

But anyway.... it's been three whole days since the Redskins did something crazy, what will we do??? :noclue:

As well you should not.... the Yankee game was on at the bar last night, and I swear to God it made the director's cut of 2012 seem fast paced and full of excitement :P

But anyway.... it's been three whole days since the Redskins did something crazy, what will we do??? :noclue:

Do you hangout at a Seniors bar??? Do the TV's have "rabbit ears" to watch baseball? Might as well just watch paint dry.

I am much more interested to see more details about Big Ben and hopefully JAIL.

Do you hangout at a Seniors bar??? Do the TV's have "rabbit ears" to watch baseball? Might as well just watch paint dry.

I am much more interested to see more details about Big Ben and hopefully JAIL.

The Yankees won last year.... front runners ahoy!!

(don't worry I had two hockey games on in front of me... it's cheap beer and shots night so I was a lil fuzzy by the time the Rangers lost, so I looked left and saw the paint drying.... and HALF the TVs are almost HD now!!! :cheers: )

and apparently NFL.com thinks Marshall might be another option for the skins....that move, I think, would make them pretty legit in terms of at least having a chance in the East...but Marshall is likely to stay with the Broncos, in my opinion anyway, this year....

LOL.

In the Jets continued effort to get press to sell PSL's, they have entered talks with Miami's Jason Taylor, who the Jets feel will sign with them in the next few days.

The Jets continue to try and build the best damn football team of 2001.

In the Jets continued effort to get press to sell PSL's, they have entered talks with Miami's Jason Taylor, who the Jets feel will sign with them in the next few days.

The Jets continue to try and build the best damn football team of 2001.

I understand the "sideshow notion" of my teams' trend(s) in signing players past their prime (Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brett Favre, Ty Law, Bubba Franks, etc) however, -I would like to point out: *that since 1997.. they've had only 3 losing seasons, and have managed to play in 2 Championship games. Though that may not equate in winning any Superbowls, they have perennially remained competitive over the past 15 years.. which I believe separates them from teams like Oakland & Washington.

Furthermore.. it becomes exceedingly difficult to take any\all negative comments spoken on my beloved Jets, as anything more than empty hatred BECAUSE --> the one's so eager to slam on them.. rarely say anything positive regarding the Jets! Things such as good drafting.. (Keller, Washington, Greene, D`Brick, Mangold, J-Co, Revis, Harris, B. Smith) smart moves\trades.. (Scott, Pace, Braylon, Cromardie, Jenkins) ..and other constructional upper managerial decisions.

Will I have alot of egg on my face, if any of these offseason signings blow up? --Of course. But what if they pan out? What if the Jets find their way back to the Final Four? What if LT busts out 1,300 or JT manages 12+ ? Will the haters eat their crow with pride, or continue their usual spin campaigns? :noclue:

I understand the "sideshow notion" of my teams' trend(s) in signing players past their prime (Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brett Favre, Ty Law, Bubba Franks, etc) however, -I would like to point out: *that since 1997.. they've had only 3 losing seasons, and have managed to play in 2 Championship games. Though that may not equate in winning any Superbowls, they have perennially remained competitive over the past 15 years.. which I believe separates them from teams like Oakland & Washington.

Furthermore.. it becomes exceedingly difficult to take any\all negative comments spoken on my beloved Jets, as anything more than empty hatred BECAUSE --> the one's so eager to slam on them.. rarely say anything positive regarding the Jets! Things such as good drafting.. (Keller, Washington, Greene, D`Brick, Mangold, J-Co, Revis, Harris, B. Smith) smart moves\trades.. (Scott, Pace, Braylon, Cromardie, Jenkins) ..and other constructional upper managerial decisions.

Will I have alot of egg on my face, if any of these offseason signings blow up? --Of course. But what if they pan out? What if the Jets find their way back to the Final Four? What if LT busts out 1,300 or JT manages 12+ ? Will the haters eat their crow with pride, or continue their usual spin campaigns? :noclue:

I am a semi-Jet fan and I go to a lot of games with friends who have been season ticket holders since they moved to Giants stadium.

As a football fan I was very impressed by Tannenbaum and his great drafting and hiring like Bill Callahan and obviously Rex Ryan along with more of our talent (Scott, Mike Pettine, Jim Leonard).

But my gripe with the Jets is that the owner seems to be involved more with PR stunts (Favre, LT and now Jason Thomas) to sell PSL's than winning football.

The Jets, after last season looked like the team to beat, but the obvious roster mistakes (Jones, Feely, etc.) makes me question them as an organization. They had a great base but the loss of Jones in the locker room and the backfield will probably cost them the playoff this year.