2010 NFL thread

MadDog2020

How is it the Jets do what they can to strengthen their already stout D and then decide to completely implode on offense and become a pass heavy team?? Are they seriously going to rely on Sanchez to do it all? That's what they seem to be showing with this latest acquisition and then the previous moves letting Thomas go and signing a broken down LT to accompany a disgruntled RB who wasn't even sure if he could play football again after last year's injury...

I guess that's the fun of waiting 'till the season starts to see how the moves pan out but fans have to be baffled...

and in a side, slightly related note, congrats to the Steelers for taking a stand on players who continue to have off the field issues. I commend them on being consistent and making an example out of a player who has had more than one recent run ins with the law!!! Bravo!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 5th Round pick is a STUPID low cost for a guy like him.... really.....there's gotta be something else going on under the radar here.... I know he's a pain in the neck and all....but holy hell......

The interesting thing is the fact that both Braylon Edwards and Holmes could spend the first 4 games on the suspended list...looks more like Holmes' suspension is almost definite and Edwards is just a possibility...

Jets motto for 2010 season? "See the Yankees aren't the only team who can try to buy a championship."

Then again at least of the 3 big acquisitions only 2 of them are morally questionable...

The interesting thing is the fact that both Braylon Edwards and Holmes could spend the first 4 games on the suspended list...looks more like Holmes' suspension is almost definite and Edwards is just a possibility...

Jets motto for 2010 season? "See the Yankees aren't the only team who can try to buy a championship."

Then again at least of the 3 big acquisitions only 2 of them are morally questionable...

It's like I told the Steelers fans when they whined at me for picking on them when it's their turn on the "convict players" wheel.... they take turns bringing in the dirtbags and seeing if they can be the one to make them see the light.... every team does it....I really don't care about it anymore

But when a team gives up THAT valuable a player for such a low return it's a MAJOR warning sign.....

Wow, Tannenbaum strikes again. Great deal for the Jets on paper.

This helps the team on and off the field. With all the questionable characters acquired this off season they don't need to do the hard sell on the PSL's , they can just have the new players buy them for all their illegitimet offspring.

It's like I told the Steelers fans when they whined at me for picking on them when it's their turn on the "convict players" wheel.... they take turns bringing in the dirtbags and seeing if they can be the one to make them see the light.... every team does it....I really don't care about it anymore

But when a team gives up THAT valuable a player for such a low return it's a MAJOR warning sign.....

So you rag on a franchise when some of their players turn out to be bad eggs (note: not that the franchise intentionally sought out to acquire players who already had proven to be bad eggs ... there's a huge difference), and then when they cut said bad egg loose you still find fault?

Good for the Steelers. Thanks for the Super Bowl, Santonio, but you turned out to be a scumbag. The Rooneys don't accept that, and nor should they. The NFL has increasingly become a harbor for people to be the scum of society but still be millionaires who live slightly above the law and are adored by millions because of their physical talents. It's sickening. Good for the Rooneys. They sent a message that if you want to play for the most storied franchise in the nation's most popular league, you better have your act together. Big Ben, I'm looking at you.

I'm proud to be a Steelers fan today.

So you rag on a franchise when some of their players turn out to be bad eggs (note: not that the franchise intentionally sought out to acquire players who already had proven to be bad eggs ... there's a huge difference), and then when they cut said bad egg loose you still find fault?

You read my facebook sh!t enough... who DON'T I rag on???

If they tossed ALL their bad eggs one the coin turned on them Big Ben would be on the street too.... any fan who thinks a team places morality over winning is just fooling themself and this is a FACT

And there are some players that after they serve their time become good citizens (Tank Johnson comes to mind)

Did I say I was bagging on them cutting him, I just find it alarming (as in something WORSE might be going down here) to cut a #1 WR loose in a league that puts such an emphasis on the passing game and big-time WR's to let one go for merely a 5th Round pick.... i find that suspicious that something worse or bigger MIGHT be going on.....Jesus, it's a legit statement!

Good for the Steelers. Thanks for the Super Bowl, Santonio, but you turned out to be a scumbag. The Rooneys don't accept that, and nor should they. The NFL has increasingly become a harbor for people to be the scum of society but still be millionaires who live slightly above the law and are adored by millions because of their physical talents. It's sickening. Good for the Rooneys. They sent a message that if you want to play for the most storied franchise in the nation's most popular league, you better have your act together. Big Ben, I'm looking at you.

When they trade Roethlisberger too you can claim the moral high ground, but until then it's a lot easier to make an example out of dumping a receiver when they're a dime a dozen other than the top guys who don't even get traded for much themselves.

When they trade Roethlisberger too you can claim the moral high ground, but until then it's a lot easier to make an example out of dumping a receiver when they're a dime a dozen other than the top guys who don't even get traded for much themselves.

If criminal charges ever actually come up against Roethlisberger, my money is on the Rooneys shipping him out too. He's already being treated like a player with two strikes (i.e. being told not to attend the veterans summer training camp, meeting with Goodell, etc.).

And Santonio was far from a "dime a dozen" wideout. Dude is severely talented. But, then again, so was Plaxico, and Pittsburgh let him walk before he became too big of a problem.

You read my facebook sh!t enough... who DON'T I rag on???

If they tossed ALL their bad eggs one the coin turned on them Big Ben would be on the street too.... any fan who thinks a team places morality over winning is just fooling themself and this is a FACT

Again, no actual charges have ever been brought up against Ben. I know, I know ... "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ..." If any of this stuff turns out to be true about him, I'll burn my Roethlisberger jersey. But, it is also still entirely true that the only thing Ben is guilty of is still acting like an immature college kid.

Santonio was arrested for pot possession, had domestic abuse charges, is now being sued for assaulting a random woman at a club and will be starting the season in the press box. It's not quite apples and oranges, but it also isn't apples and apples.

If a single one of these accusations against Ben turn out to be true or if he slips up in any way again, I still think he's as good as gone. Could be wrong. But that's just how I think the Rooneys roll. I respect them for a lot of the same reasons why I respect Lou. They're very similar in a lot of ways.

Did I say I was bagging on them cutting him, I just find it alarming (as in something WORSE might be going down here) to cut a #1 WR loose in a league that puts such an emphasis on the passing game and big-time WR's to let one go for merely a 5th Round pick.... i find that suspicious that something worse or bigger MIGHT be going on.....Jesus, it's a legit statement!

Ah, OK. My bad. I jumped to conclusions cuz, ya know, in your own words "who DON'T I rag on???" Very valid point.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

I have to agree. Good for the Steelers. They did the same thing to Burress and won a championship afterwards. I admire and respect the Rooney's for their higher standards, I expect Big Ben to be gone too if he doesn't clean up his act or perceptions about him.

I expect they sign Leftkwich in the next few weeks in case Big Ben gets suspended.

I know it doesn't completely even out the football value of the trade, but keep in mind New York only has Holmes for three-quarters of the season, thanks to his stoner suspension.

Apparently, the Steelers just signed a few Free agent wide recievers and have a few young WR's ready to step in and they were about to just release Holmes before the Jets called.

I believe this helps the Jets to acquire him via trade rather than as a free agency since they were part of the final four.

I know it doesn't completely even out the football value of the trade, but keep in mind New York only has Holmes for three-quarters of the season, thanks to his stoner suspension.

Well the first 4 games of the NFL season aren't extremely crucial, as long as you are not 0-4 or 1-3 which I doubt the Jets will be..no issues there.

Holmes is 26 and entering his prime...for a LOW end 5th round pick.

The Steelers can spin this anyway they want, it was a terrible trade.

Well the first 4 games of the NFL season aren't extremely crucial, as long as you are not 0-4 or 1-3 which I doubt the Jets will be..no issues there.

Holmes is 26 and entering his prime...for a LOW end 5th round pick.

The Steelers can spin this anyway they want, it was a terrible trade.

except the suspension is just for the substance abuse policy and not his pending assault charges...that means a 5th for a WR who may or may not play half a season...don't get me wrong its a good trade for the Jets without a doubt...I just think that the biggest question about them isn't this trade its more of their entire offseason plan...it reeks of WTF? sauce...

How are the Jets buying anything? It's not like they paid big money for Tomlinson (and dumped Jones and Feely over chump change) or Taylor because of the FA rules. Cromartie and Holmes were trades. Maybe they're selling out - in more ways than one - but they're sure as shooting not blowing the payroll up :P

How are the Jets buying anything? It's not like they paid big money for Tomlinson (and dumped Jones and Feely over chump change) or Taylor because of the FA rules. Cromartie and Holmes were trades. Maybe they're selling out - in more ways than one - but they're sure as shooting not blowing the payroll up :P

The Jets are going about this all the right way in terms of acquiring through trades rather than FA because of their cap limitations being a final 4 team.

Tannenbaum is a genius in some respects, but I still question the backfield without TJ. But that O-line is still one of the best

That part was in jest, I was merely joking about the big name acquisitions they've taken part in getting. So pip pip and cheerio sir, as a Cowboys fan I know all about that! :)

I understand the "sideshow notion" of my teams' trend(s) in signing players past their prime (Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brett Favre, Ty Law, Bubba Franks, etc) however, -I would like to point out: *that since 1997.. they've had only 3 losing seasons, and have managed to play in 2 Championship games. Though that may not equate in winning any Superbowls, they have perennially remained competitive over the past 15 years.. which I believe separates them from teams like Oakland & Washington.

Furthermore.. it becomes exceedingly difficult to take any\all negative comments spoken on my beloved Jets, as anything more than empty hatred BECAUSE --> the one's so eager to slam on them.. rarely say anything positive regarding the Jets! Things such as good drafting.. (Keller, Washington, Greene, D`Brick, Mangold, J-Co, Revis, Harris, B. Smith) smart moves\trades.. (Scott, Pace, Braylon, Cromardie, Jenkins) ..and other constructional upper managerial decisions.

Will I have alot of egg on my face, if any of these offseason signings blow up? --Of course. But what if they pan out? What if the Jets find their way back to the Final Four? What if LT busts out 1,300 or JT manages 12+ ? Will the haters eat their crow with pride, or continue their usual spin campaigns? :noclue:

I, For one, will be continuing my usual spin campaign. :P Btw, if JT signs with the Jets, he's dead to me. Unforgivable.

Edited by MadDog2020