Jiigy On The 'lanche

westcoastdevfan

WZIP 1025 AM reported earlier today that JS Giguere is close to a deal with the Colorado Avalanche. Rumors surrounding the potential deal between Anaheim and Colorado include two first round draft choices, Rob Blake, Alex Tanguay, and two third round draft choices. There is also a buyout clause that Colorado would have to fulfill to complete the transaction. Colorado management reportedly would pay Giguere a six year $52 million contract that includes a $12 million signing bonus.

The deal makes sense for the Avalanche with the recent retirement of Patrick Roy. Said Av executives, "...the retirement of Roy is an issue that we have to deal with quickly. We've added more depth at other positions, but are not as deep as we'd like at goal. We hope to have this wrapped up as early as Tuesday..."

This would essentially wrap up the most important trade on the minds of the Avalanche. JS Giguere was not available for comment, but sources close to Anaheim and Giguere have said that the deal makes sense for them as well. Budgetary concerns weigh heavily on GM Brian Murray's mind and previous decisions have already left the Mighty Ducks without the services of their captian Paul Kariya. There are also rumors swirling around Adam Oates, who's $3.5 million option was not picked up. Restructing seems to be the course Anaheim is taking. They feel with the additions of Tanguay and Blake, they can add speed, strength, and experience to fill areas that are not as deep as they'd like. Disney has been shopping the Mighty Ducks for two years now and it seems, from recent moves, that they want to make the team as feasibly attractive to potential buyers as possible...

If you think about it, Giguere is already considered a god by the Denver media and fans for beating the Wings in the playoffs. But it would be suicide for the Ducks. Tanguay and Blake are not franchise players. Giguere has great potential to be a player to build a team around. Since they lost Karyia to the Dives who would the Ducks have to build a team around?

Or it would be the most brilliant move ever as Giguere shows himself to be the flash in the pan one-hit wonder fluke who got exposed in the Finals :D

The Avs would do it if Gigeure's contract would put them overbudget, which it would, so they'd have to get rid of the most overpriced player on the team.. which is Rob Blake..

I don't think the Ducks would do it, the PR would be awful and Martin Gerber nor Ilya Bryagalzov are NHL ready.

Gigeure probably won't match his playoff performance this year, but he is still a top 10 goaltender in the NHL. I would not be surprised to see a big downturn this year, but he will have just signed a new contract, and that rarely goes well for young players.

Wow...wow. I've seen some bad ones before but that may take the cake. Why in the world would the ducks want to take on Blake's contract when they can't even re-sign Oates?

Although if it did happen, the Colorado franchise would be ruined after the lockout...which I wouldn't mind seeing.

The Avs obviously need a goalie, and they can deal from their strength at forward. Look more along the lines of a three way deal, ultimately with CuJo landing on the Avs.

Let's say this works... Gigeure becomes a Duck... Ducks lose tons of fans with losses of Kariya, Gigeure, and Selanne (in more ways than none)...

...then the NHL starts to crack down on goalie equipment... those high shots start going in (the raising-the-pads bar is eliminated), those shots that hit the sides of the pads start going in, and the fiv-hole gets wider and wider...

...nothing would please me more than the Avalanche missing the playoffs next year... except for another Cup of course!

D=((((() D=((((() D=((((()

I must be the slowest person in the world... I've been thinking what is that? a fat smiley, a duck run over by a car (or Stevens) or what??? I finally saw what it was... and boy do I feel stupid, haha -_-<_<-_-:mellow::huh:^_^:o;):P:lol: B)