The Devils future

DevilMinder

Did you read my post? I didn't say I was in favor of the move. I spoke what I'd do, not anyone else in Bergen. Before you jump down anyone's throat read what they said. As for the Bergen Record poll the name of the paper says it all. Let the Record poll the entire state instead of just Bergen and Passaic counties.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read my post? I didn't say I was in favor of the move. I spoke what I'd do, not anyone else in Bergen. Before you jump down anyone's throat read what they said. As for the Bergen Record poll the name of the paper says it all. Let the Record poll the entire state instead of just Bergen and Passaic counties.

Read Z-Mans post in the other thread and your question will be answered.

But wouldn't that mean that there are fans of the Devils OUTSIDE of Bergen County? Y'know, selected from that other 4.4 million people in North Jersey?

Yeah, but no ones gonna buy season tickets that doesn't have them now, and the Bergenites would sell their season tickets, because no one wants to go to Newark from North Jersey, PERIOD.

I hope to get season tickets next year, :pray: and I am DEFINITELY from outside Bergen County! :P

And that's whether they're in CAA or Newark!

Edited by poohbear

Well, dj, this is one of three Devils forums I visit and all three have a majority who want Newark. There was a poll on this topic in the early fall when the Nets were still here and Newark was still barely even a possibility and those in favor of moving the team to Newark outnumbered those against by a margin of 2:1. There were two different petitions both of which were signed by a vast majority of the active members of this and the other two forums I post in.

Polls are nice, but only the people who will buy tickets matter in the end.

Why don't we poll Ranger$ fans and see what they think. That's the same as polling Devil's fans who don;t go to games.

But wouldn't that mean that there are fans of the Devils OUTSIDE of Bergen County? Y'know, selected from that other 4.4 million people in North Jersey?

Yeah, but no ones gonna buy season tickets that doesn't have them now, and the Bergenites would sell their season tickets, because no one wants to go to Newark from North Jersey, PERIOD.

I hope to get season tickets next year, :pray: and I am DEFINITELY from outside Bergen County! :P

And that's whether they're in CAA or Newark!

Well they won't be in Newark until atleast 2007, so you should know that you'll be coming to Bergen County for a few more years at least...

A renewal is most likely.

Thats like saying let the state poll college guys who won't buy season tickets, just not season ticket holders...

I realize not all of the season ticket holders live in Bergen county, but honestly guys, if the Devils move to Newark, without a doubt, ticket sales would go down.

I'd even make a bet on it...

Who is gonna own the team???? Chambers has this Newark idea fixed in his head, and we already saw what a great job instate investors did with the Nets.

By the way guys, I asked Lou what he thought of the Newark arena tonight, and he shook his head and said... "It's all politics."

He's obviously not in support of it.

Lou has been in the press saying how the Devils need a new facility and Newark is where to be. Did it even cross your mind that when he said "its all politics" that he meant the fact that there are delays in getting it done are due to politics? Whatever.......good game tonight. We had a ton of chances and like usual couldn't bury them. Solid win though. The devs have started to play Devils hockey again.

Lou has been in the press saying how the Devils need a new facility and Newark is where to be. Did it even cross your mind that when he said "its all politics" that he meant the fact that there are delays in getting it done are due to politics? Whatever.......good game tonight. We had a ton of chances and like usual couldn't bury them. Solid win though. The devs have started to play Devils hockey again.

The way he came off was that he didn't support it.

I think he feels comfortable where he is.

Lou has been in the press saying how the Devils need a new facility and Newark is where to be.  Did it even cross your mind that when he said "its all politics" that he meant the fact that there are delays in getting it done are due to politics?  Whatever.......good game tonight.  We had a ton of chances and like usual couldn't bury them.  Solid win though.  The devs have started to play Devils hockey again.

The way he came off was that he didn't support it.

I think he feels comfortable where he is.

Oh really? I've heard Lou say, both last year and recently this year that a renovation at the CAA is not an option. Unless he's talking out of both sides of his mouth he's obviously not in favor of staying where he is.

Yes, but again you probably misread his meaning. When he said it was just politics and was upset, he could have just as easily been upset that the arena was not going through. Of course there is the possibility he could recognize Newark's not perfect but that it's the only sure way to keep the Devils in NJ and Lou wants to keep the Devils here.

Yes, but again you probably misread his meaning. When he said it was just politics and was upset, he could have just as easily been upset that the arena was not going through. Of course there is the possibility he could recognize Newark's not perfect but that it's the only sure way to keep the Devils in NJ and Lou wants to keep the Devils here.

Its not the only way, I don't know why you guys keep saying that....

Yes, but again you probably misread his meaning.  When he said it was just politics and was upset, he could have just as easily been upset that the arena was not going through.  Of course there is the possibility he could recognize Newark's not perfect but that it's the only sure way to keep the Devils in NJ and Lou wants to keep the Devils here.

Its not the only way, I don't know why you guys keep saying that....

Because the majority owner of the Devils, Chambers is from Newark. The Newark Arena is his dream. He wants to revitalize the city. If he can't get the Newark Arena, he'll just sell the team. And there are plenty of other cities that want an NHL team. There weren't a lot of in-state buyers for the Nets.

That's all well and good but it doesn't mean squat when you're buying a team...all prospective owners want to look at is the bottom line. What are prospective owners going to look at when they see the Devils...a team that's losing money in its current location and a team with no other arena plan in sight if the Newark thing falls through. 95% of businessmen (at least) are going to conclude that it's not good business to stay in New Jersey. ESPECIALLY with a winning team, they can sell out some other city in no time.

That's all well and good but it doesn't mean squat when you're buying a team...all prospective owners want to look at is the bottom line. What are prospective owners going to look at when they see the Devils...a team that's losing money in its current location and a team with no other arena plan in sight if the Newark thing falls through. 95% of businessmen (at least) are going to conclude that it's not good business to stay in New Jersey. ESPECIALLY with a winning team, they can sell out some other city in no time.

I think the bottom line is that regardless of where the Devils go in NJ attendance won't be the best.

If we win another cup I believe attendance will go slightly up, and will be an incentive to both keep season tickets, or for people who want them to buy them.

I know a lot of you want a Newark arena, and you have good reasons for it, but I feel that I am informed, yet unable to spread my knowledge and facts, because of my lack of the ability to EXPLAIN.

Or maybe its just my lack to post fact, I don't know, what I do know, is that CAA will sell more tickets than a Newark arena.

I imagine Continental Airlines would be in support of the Newark arena, because people could jump off an airplane and go right to the arena in a few minutes...

But aside from the proximity to the residents of central NJ, it is closer, and they may go to more games, and they may produce season ticket holders.

But also what will happen is that people from North jersey, will sell their season tickets, buy less or no tickets, and may not produce more season ticket holders.

These are bad things for NJ, and it is a confusing picture for many.

But a lot just see the simple picture which is that, people don't want to go Newark.

I believe a lot of you have great points... I just want to see what happens.

And would rather have the Devils stay at CAA, then go to Newark.

I personally would not go there, and don't personally know anyone who would and have attempted to use speculation from others and myself, as well as little fact, to enforce my point.

I have come on a little strong, as well as other things, but just don't like the idea of a sports organization in a place like Newark, and have attempted to prove why.

Obviously I can't do that without the constant batter of a board of people who only want to read what they want to read.

:noclue:

Stubbs...........you already said the 15 minute difference doesn't bother you. So now what you're saying is that as much as you love the Devils, the fact that they'd move to Newark would keep you from going? Just because of this stigma you've attached to the name Newark???? That's stupid....What are you going to do if everyone gives the arena rave reviews and there are better crowds over there? Imagine if there were some nice bars and restaurants right across the street to go to before or after the game......you'd pass this up because it's in Newark, which admittedly you barely know???? Why do think it is absolutely impossible for Newark to improve???