Stevens admits his season may be over

Rock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, just because Stevens is hurt doesn't mean the season's over. The sun will come out tomorrow. Can we get Pat Burns and Lou Lamoriello to sing that? :lol:

You'll never get Lou to sing.

How much booze are you planning to put in Burnsie before you ask him for his "Little Orphan Annie" act???

:evil:

I'm po'd at him for not telling the truth sooner.  He should have just said he was still having symptoms.  I don't think any of us would have expected him back.

whistling.gif

PK, I've had a friggin' lousy week at work and, quite frankly, I'm ready to slap Stevens right now. Don't push it.

:argh:

:evil:

OK, I'm slightly better.

I hear you.  It sucks that after a long hard week we have to dread our hockey games now too...  :saddevil:

Pepperkorn, it's that bad, huh?

Isn't there any joy in Devil hockey beyond Scott Stevens for you? I hope there is.

May I suggest counseling?

Only kidding.......

You dope! I wasn't refering to Stevens at all in that post! For a great part of 2001-02 I dreaded my hockey and Stevens was there the whole way!

If Lamoriello is back at the arena tomorrow, or sunday, I will try to find out what's going on... If we lose the next two, it is doubtful that a cup run could be possible, although I doubt we will lose our playoff spot...

Right now we need scoring, and a revamped defense. Within this and last season I've noticed a lack of FO Winning %, and thats why we give up a lot of our goals, like in the playoffs last year against Anaheim, and in Nashville and others this year. Obviously Marty is a great goalie, but you can't expect him to get everything...

I'm not worried at all about goaltending, but most about defense, and the addition of some offense... Last year we had Nieuwendyk to score for us, and we gained a forward in Igor Larionov, who is yet to score a goal, and slows down the entire pace of the game, and should retire before people start yelling... 'IGOR SUCKS'. Obviously Lou and Pat have realized Larionov's inability to play the game of hockey outside of winning faceoffs which is the only thing he does well.

If only we could have kept Nieuwendyk, Daneyko, and Stevens we might have a chance at a cup. But as it looks right now, I feel that a failure in the second round will occur.

I hear you. It sucks that after a long hard week we have to dread our hockey games now too... :saddevil:

I know. My client lies and they want ME to apologize to HER. "The client is always right".

Well fvck that.

That's why I'm kind of over-reacting to Stevens being in denial about his concussion symptoms (that's what I'm now calling it instead of syaing he lied). The Flyer fans call it the denial phase and I guess, (God, it's hard to say this) they were right.

:saddevil::saddevil:

Geez, He only said it was possible. Let him rest another month.

But, as that month goes by and the trade deadline nears, they have to make a decision:

(1) if he is coming back lets do what we can to win this year or

(2) become a seller and load up for the post lockout years and a new arena!

I am starting to like #2 more and more. What can we sell? Well some of the spare parts can be used for draft picks (low ones albeit but I have faith in the devils scouting), Colin White - Gone, Gomez - Gone (Parise will take his place), Stevenson - gone, Brown, Marshall, Pandolfo, Gionta all expendable.

Basically Elias, Madden, Brylin, Brodeur, Hale, Martin, Rafalski, Langenbrunner, Neids are the only ones I'd keep. That are either emotional favs of mine, too much future potential or have more value here than you would get elsewhere. If Ahonen is as good as projected than I would even listen to offers for Brodeur.

I know I have just blasphemed in saying trade Brodeur but I personnally would like to have another 10 years of chances at the cup then this years slight one.

Before you light me up, I know you couldn't get rid of all of that especially this year but I can dream can't I?

Welp. The run is over. Let's all go cry in our beer.

Heh. It's a funny thing. People ask me all the time why I, living in Nova Scotia, would pick the Devils to be my favorite team. I mean, we're sorta close to Quebec & Montreal, but certainly not within a reasonable days drive. We're sorta close to Boston, but certainly not within a resonable days drive. So my high school was a mish-mosh of Islander fans, Capital fans, Montreal, Toronto, one Vancouver, a Detroit fan, two Calgary fans that I can think of.... my french teacher was a Nordiques fan. So with no real geographical team to hope for, everyone is a free agent. So why did I pick the Devils?

The stupid reason is that I needed a good grade on my Grade 8 drafting project and all the guys were doing silk screening of NHL teams, so I took the easiest logo to draw (almost picked Hartford! *phew*). The real reason is that that got me watching and following the team and after a few years I noticed how Lou was building this team. No part was bigger than the whole. Everyone was equal. Everyone had their role to play. How many times have I watched "Heaven" to see Stephane Richer say "this team has no superstars.. everyone has to contribute." Someone on another thread asked why we didn't go after Jagr. I'm a Devils fan because we DON'T go after the Jagrs. We win as a team. We lose as a team.

If we can't move on from the loss of one player, we're no better than the Hasek Sabres, the Kariya Ducks, or Lemieux Penguins. I didn't think we were like that. I guess I'm being corrected.

BTW - I also have a hard time hating the Senators. Again no megabucks superstar, just a bunch of guys that can contribute. Some role players. A lot of different guys that chip in on the score sheet. Strong D. Only chink in the armor that I can see is that I don't know how far Lalime can carry them. I like the Sens more than the one-line Canucks. Teams with a lot of character players, not just one. Teams with leaders in the dressing room, not just one. Teams that combine their efforts to form a whole, not depend on one part. Stevens may have been a big piece of that puzzle - perhaps the biggest piece - but we have to get back to what this franchise has stood for forever: "What is on the front of the jersey is more important that what is on the back of the jersey."

---------

BTW - I felt pretty damn tired after lunch today. I think I have post concussion syndrome. :rolleyes:

The real reason is that that got me watching and following the team and after a few years I noticed how Lou was building this team. No part was bigger than the whole. Everyone was equal. Everyone had their role to play. How many times have I watched "Heaven" to see Stephane Richer say "this team has no superstars.. everyone has to contribute." Someone on another thread asked why we didn't go after Jagr. I'm a Devils fan because we DON'T go after the Jagrs. We win as a team. We lose as a team.

And thats why Lou isn't retiring #3. :huh:

Well I guess we can't blame the doctor for being overcautious anymore if he's really still having symptoms. By his estimate, he's suffered five concussions? :blink: Maybe they're finally catching up to him now :saddevil:

BTW good post Don...this team almost always does better when people don't expect much from them. As badly as they've played recently I'd still give them a chance against anyone in the playoffs, if they get their heads out of their butts and start playing with the grit they did last year.

Don, if you notice I was more pissed at Stevens for not being up front and saying he's still having symptoms sooner. I WANT the team to be ABLE to move on. I WANT Lou to be able to KNOW what he has to do.

I understand that no one is bigger than the team. That's part of why this denial phase pisses me off so much. That and, as I said, the fact that my client recently lied to me and managed to get me blamed for it. So people being less than truthful are not high on my list right now.

There really isn't anyone on the Devils roster that can fill Stevens skates. On or off ice.

White is an idiot.

Hale is a rookie.

Brown? :rofl:

Just no serious physical "presence" other teams need to watch for on the ice.

Why didn't you mention the other defensive players in your posts?

-Nieds

-Raffy

-Martin

There really isn't anyone on the Devils roster that can fill Stevens skates.  On or off ice.

White is an idiot.

Hale is a rookie.

Brown? :rofl:

Just no serious physical "presence" other teams need to watch for on the ice.

Why didn't you mention the other defensive players in your posts?

-Nieds

-Raffy

-Martin

Because they're not physical presences, so to speak, they're our puck-moving defensemen. So they're not going to take Stevens' place from a physical standpoint.

Fatigue is just when you feel incredibly tired and your limbs feel heavy and you feel like you generally can't be bothered. The sky seems grey and all the world seems beige.

Sounds like depression to me.

<_< Sounds like a load.

I KNOW I deleted it ---- but I can't NOT say it. Headaches I get. Dizziness i get. The BLAHS???? I DO NOT GET THIS!! ???? :rant: WHAT ??? HE HAD A FRICKIN NERVOUS BREAKDOWN? I prescribe a month at the shore to take in the waters and get some sea air. STEVENS HAS THE VAPORS! I CANNOT DEAL!!! He sounds like a jerkoff! My hero is painting himself out to be a delicate flower jerkoff! This is so humiliating :saddevil: such a lameassway to go down.

:rant:

Fatigue :rolleyes: It just seems unStevens -- this puts pansy-whipped just SOOOOO far under the carpet I can't even handle it! Even Arnott wouldn't pull THIS sh!t! :puke:

Anyhow No WAY is the team finished! They DO need a backbone. but heck maybe they never had one . I guess he's as wuss a leader as they said. Lead by example. and he really IS like I imagined... Ferdinand the bull. That was my favorite bedtime story when I was little.

all I can think is the end of Being There:

...and you're name really IS Chance....

...and you really ARE a gardener, aren't you?

at leasat I know... or at least can let go thinking I know :)

OY VEY :argh:

I just had to be usual fly off the handle uncontained self. :evil: I don