Just Some Info On Burns

Derek21

While I agree that Marty's being ridiculously overplayed this year, I also agree that it's not neccesarily a Burns issue per se...after all Jacques started Marty literally every game in the second half of 1996, leading to him being finished by late March. Larry started him like the first 20 games of 2002. And now we have Burns overplaying him after Schwab's problems.

Lou is all business in that box. Just him, Johnny, and Jacques. Lou shows NO emotion throughout the game, just stands in like 3 different spots, never talks, and looks at the TV in there for every replay. Stevens shouldn't be in there. If Stevens says he will get too fired up watching the game, even Lou would kick him out.

While I agree that Marty's being ridiculously overplayed this year, I also agree that it's not a Burns issue per se...after all Jacques started Marty literally every game in the second half of 1996, leading to him being finished by late March. Larry started him like the first 20 games of 2002. And now we have Burns overplaying him after Schwab's problems.

It makes me wonder that even if we DID have a backup that SOMEONE could be confident in, if they'd actually get to play more than five times a year.

I understand that Schwab has the mysterious groin problem, but why wasn't Burns confident in him (say, last season, or before he hurt his groin this year?) It really irks me because Marty simply SHOULD NOT be playing 75 games a year, he'll keel over before the first round even starts. I know Marty loves getting all the playing time and he says he can handle it, but he obviously cannot -- he's showing a lot of signs of wear and tear lately, sure he's still making great saves and playing above average, but he's making a lot of dumb plays and a lot of gaffes with the puck as well. No goaltender should play the amount he plays, but it's like we're up against a wall here -- no coach seems to be confident in ANY backup goaltender that Marty may have.

What if we went out and got Irbe as a backup? I bet Burns STILL wouldn't play him...

I agree with CRASHER, throw Clemmensen in for a few games. What's the worst that can happen? He's not that bad of a goalie, and in his limited time here, he's played very well, hell, he just got outplayed by Kolzig, but I don't even think Marty could have even outplayed Ollie, he was just THAT MUCH on top of his game that night. I'd rather have a rookie out there for a few games than have Brodeur out there night in and night out, for the same reasons as CRASHER mentioned, too. I'd rather have a rested Marty than a Marty who just doesn't look sharp...and if that takes putting the backup netminder in there for a couple games (mind you, they don't even have to be consecutive...just SOMETHING), then DO IT.

Irbe has lost it. He was good in 2001-02, until he lost it and Weekes had to come in and save their butts in the playoffs and bring them to the Finals.

Irbe has so many weaknesses. He stands up way too much, he seems to be caught by surprise way too often. Just no. Clemmy is already better than Irbe now-a-days. Clemmy is an improvement over Irbe.

Plus, I would have to go to the arena with sunglasses since the glare from his HUGE WHITE pads will be too much for my eyes. And that god awful helmet. :lol:

I still think Irbe is capable of playing a good 10-15 games a year, he's itching to get back to competition especially after the Canes banished him (which was BS, IMO). I dunno, I've always liked Irbe, and yeah he had a bad playoff, but Weekes was just riding a hot streak at the time. I also think Weekes is a very good goalie, but still, Irbe isn't THAT awful IMO.

It's obvious that Burns has zero confidence in Clemmensen. The reason I suggested Irbe (I wasn't suggesting we GET him, I was just throwing a name into the mix) was because he's a vet who still had a little bit left in the tank, MAYBE Burns could possibly muster a little confidence in HIM.

While I agree that Marty's being ridiculously overplayed this year, I also agree that it's not a Burns issue per se...after all Jacques started Marty literally every game in the second half of 1996, leading to him being finished by late March.  Larry started him like the first 20 games of 2002.  And now we have Burns overplaying him after Schwab's problems.

It makes me wonder that even if we DID have a backup that SOMEONE could be confident in, if they'd actually get to play more than five times a year.

I understand that Schwab has the mysterious groin problem, but why wasn't Burns confident in him (say, last season, or before he hurt his groin this year?)

Here's the thing, when they have a Beezer, a Schwab or a Terreri they'll get around 10-12 games a year - well usually anyway, Scwhabbie got only 9 last year. If the backup is an unproven like Clemmy, Damphousse, Ahonen, Shulmistra, Schwab (his first tour of duty) they'll get 5 games a year if they're lucky. Marty playing 70 games a year is one thing, he's proven he can do that and have deep playoff runs...but when they push the envelope too far like they're doing now and they've done a couple of times in the past then it becomes counterproductive.

I guess it's a fair question to ask of Burns though considering he did start Schwab a grand total of 9 times last year (including the last game of the season which meant very little except for the Jennings Trophy anyway). I remember in January and February last year I thought Burns was going overboard and Marty had kind of an uneven few weeks during that period. Even Jacques and Larry would have probably played Schwabbie at least two-three more games last year. Hell Jacques actually played Dunham in about 15 games each of his last couple of years (one was the stupid get him in 25 games season, but he also got like 13 or 14 starts the next year too).

If the Devils were thinking about trading Ahonen, and think he is good, they should be giving him the starts when Marty sits to try and show the league his talent. Its really tough to have value when you've never faced an NHL shot, but a few hot games and all of a sudden people go off the deep end for goalies.

-Scott

Very good points guys. I have to agree Marty is playing WAY TO MUCH. Not only do you have to factor in him playing about 75 games a year but thrown in the fact that with the exception of 1996 he has played in the playoffs every year. Thats a boat load of playing time. And the fact that last year was a long one for Marty with winning the cup the guy simply needs a break.

We all know Brodeur wants to play every night and I wish he could play every night. Well he basically does but he is human. He needs a damn break every now and then.

It has become more apparent of late that it's time to sit him for a few games. We need him sharp and focused once the grind of the playoffs come. 2 of the last 3 season have been long ones for Marty. And with the amount of games he plays in the regular season a burnout is not unlikely. This team is going as far as Brodeur carries them. They will not win a cup with Clemmensen between the pipes.

Burns better get is act together and give him some rest or it's going to be a quick exit from the playoffs this year. If we have to play the Sens again I want Marty at nothing less than 100%. Thats one team I don't want to play with a tired Brodeur.

Yet I really don't see Burns giving him that much rest the remainder of the season.

If the Devils were thinking about trading Ahonen, and think he is good, they should be giving him the starts when Marty sits to try and show the league his talent. Its really tough to have value when you've never faced an NHL shot, but a few hot games and all of a sudden people go off the deep end for goalies.

-Scott

My question about Ahonen is, WHY haven't we seen him in at least ONE game yet? I understand we want to take our time and develop him, but it's been quite some time now and he has yet to see any form of NHL action. Now I'm not saying throw him in 30+ NHL games in one year, but at least call him up and dump him into a game just to see where he's at.

Are we still grooming him to be the next starter here? Once Brodeur is gone, Ahonen will be considerably older, and if he's STILL with the team, will he be with Albany or will be be the backup here? Even at that, who's to say Brodeur is even going to slow down as he gets older? He's just playing more and more, and it doesn't seem like that's goign to change anytime soon...

About the Brodeur debate, Crasher. Normally I'd agree with you but on the other hand, hasn't Schwab been sidelined with a few injuries?? We are trying to avoid drawing a really difficult first round opponent and gain ground on Philthy somehow. And let's face it, Marty gives us the better shot of winning over Clemm at this point.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But not this season. The East is as tough as it's ever been. It's not going to matter where the 8 teams finish because they're very evenly matched. The Devils shouldn't be so worried about winning the division because it may not do them any good. Same thing for trying to finish 1st or 2nd. Why finish that high when you might have to draw the Isles or Habs? I wouldn't want to play either. And it's the same for Boston, Toronto, Tampa and Ottawa.

There's no easy opponent this time. Brodeur needs to rest sometimes. And who says Clemmensen can't get it done? He played very well in the games he got into. And the Devils still play a smart system.

I don't see the Devils winning anything this year without Stevens. They need their Captain.

There's no easy opponent this time. Brodeur needs to rest sometimes. And who says Clemmensen can't get it done? He played very well in the games he got into. And the Devils still play a smart system.

I don't see the Devils winning anything this year without Stevens. They need their Captain.

That's the problem, Derek, it's not US who thinks Clemmensen can't get it done -- it's BURNS who thinks that. He simply has no confidence in Clemm, otherwise he would have played a couple more games by now. Hell, even in a couple games I thought Marty should have been pulled, but he wasn't.

And as for your second part -- I agree for the most part. I won't say it's IMPOSSIBLE, but it's damn IMPROBABLE that the Devils will win the Cup without Stevens. However, for me, I'm focusing on tonight's game, the next game, and the game after that. I don't want to get ahead of myself. Take it one game at a time, and hopefully Stevens will be back for the playoffs.

Are we still grooming him to be the next starter here? Once Brodeur is gone, Ahonen will be considerably older, and if he's STILL with the team, will he be with Albany or will be be the backup here? Even at that, who's to say Brodeur is even going to slow down as he gets older? He's just playing more and more, and it doesn't seem like that's goign to change anytime soon...

Patrick Roy played until he was 37. Assuming Brodeur sticks around at least that long, he'll have played through the 2008-2009 season. Ari will be 28 by then. If he's not starting for another NHL team, he'll probably be the backup in New Jersey. I can't imagine Ari staying in Albany for that long, even though it would be great for Rats fans. B)

I think it's great that Clemmensen is learning how to be Marty's backup, even if it's by necessity and not by choice. He's 26 right now and he has 4 years of college hockey behind him, so Lou probably feels that Clemmy's got enough North American experience that he doesn't need to be playing all the time.

Long story short: I think Ahonen's still being groomed for *a* starting job in the NHL, but time will tell what uniform he's wearing when he gets it.

Maybe Clemmensen is seeing time in the NHL over Ahonen because he deserves it? What kind of a message would it send to the organization if a guy got to play simply because he was being "showcased?" Lou always says the guys that play for him play because they deserve it - they give the team the best chance to win. To deviate from that would be a bad thing.