Devils/Rangers pre-season game in Albany

thelastonealive

Do season ticket holders get tickets to this, or do we need to BUY more tickets to see this pre-season game?

Doesnt matter much to me, as I only got season tickets this time around so my wife can go, while I am "busy"...

Edited by Dead

Do season ticket holders get tickets to this, or do we need to BUY more tickets to see this pre-season game?

Doesnt matter much to me, as I only got season tickets this time around so my wife can go, while I am "busy"...

I imagine they won't force 10k+ people to buy tickets to a game hours away.

:urg:

Cool. I won't be going...I live 5 minutes from Philly, but it'll be nice for the people up there to get a chance to see some Devils hockey.

:hail: Good one! :rofl: The Rangers host a pre-season game in the Albany Devils' barn, temporary home of the NJ Devils' top farm club... I guess one could argue that what the fans there saw when the A-Devils played wasn't really Devils hockey, but it's just hilarious that the team that brings Devils hockey to town is the Rags. :urg: Maybe there's hope for pro hockey in Albany after all!

According to whomever runs the Albany Devils FB page: "Hey Fans, sorry for the delayed response. Here is the deal (it's complicated but here is the short of it): this game isn't being hosted by the NJ Devils or the Albany Devils; this is a Times Union Center event. We were fortunate enough that they let us have this presale so our STH and fans can have early access to tickets and seating."

Whatever that means.

According to whomever runs the Albany Devils FB page: "Hey Fans, sorry for the delayed response. Here is the deal (it's complicated but here is the short of it): this game isn't being hosted by the NJ Devils or the Albany Devils; this is a Times Union Center event. We were fortunate enough that they let us have this presale so our STH and fans can have early access to tickets and seating."

Whatever that means.

It's not obvious unless you go to the tickets page, but this is technically a Rangers home game even though it's being played in the Albany Devils' arena. It would appear that the Devils didn't do anything to bring the game here (although they promised they would), so the presale being offered to Albany folks is merely a courtesy and is not a STH benefit or a marketing effort by the Devils.

Edited by RowdyFan42

^ That. Exactly.

So adam85491, if you live close to Philly, did you know that you could go see the Devils' minor league affiliate, the Trenton Devils? Or if the A-Devils or T-Devils play games in Atlantic City, as they did a few times last season, you could go to Boardwalk Hall and see them there.

Great bunch of guys, not as skilled (yet) as the NHLers of course but hey, the tickets are WAY cheaper. You can watch guys like :evil: Fraser :evil: and Palmieri earn their stripes.

Both Devils farm clubs have struggled for *YEARS* so don't expect them to even break 0.500 in the W/L column, much less make the playoffs. And the Devils' front office doesn't give a flying poot about the minor league fans, so if you're looking to be Entertained, forget it. Just go and hope you see at least 40 minutes of honest lunch-pail hockey.

But since their attendance is the WORST in their league every year, most nights you can walk up 5 minutes before the puck drops and buy seats on the red line 12 rows up! What's not to like about that?

:horse:

I've been to many Trenton games and many New Jersey games (over 30 combined last season). My point was I thought it'd be nice for the people of albany (which I believe is quite a hike from newark) to get a chance to easily see NJ play (instead of having to drive two hours or whatever it is).

Now the fact that it won't be a NJ home game is just fvcking embarassing though.

Ah, wasn't sure if you knew about the minor league clubs, sorry for preaching to the choir. Bless the T-Devils' fans and players, may they have a winning season in 2011-12!

It sure looks like the Rangers care more about building a fanbase in Albany than the NJ-Devils do. I doubt anybody in the NJ-Devils front office will feel any shame, though. For them, it's all about developing 3 or 4 prospects for the NHL club, and nothing else matters. It *might* be better for everyone if the Rangers take over and put a respectable, entertaining farm club in Albany, and the AHL and ECHL let the NJ-Devils hide their practice squads farm clubs out of sight in the AmeriHealth Pavilion.

Wow. That post was so bitter I thought it was titans04 rather than Shtikl.

Actually Shtikl is another one of the very few that actually paid money for devils minor league hockey so he too knows what he's talking about he's experienced it, not like others that comment on something they haven't experieved for themselves. I wish I didn't give a sh!t about Trenton hockey, but the tradition of winning and putting the best team possible on the ice reeled us in many years ago. It's all good though, NHL team misses the playoffs Albany dead last and Trenton 1 point from dead last, there's nothing to be unhappy about.

But yeah it's a joke that it's a Rangers home game, on the plus side the attendance will be better.

I've been to many Trenton games and many New Jersey games (over 30 combined last season). My point was I thought it'd be nice for the people of albany (which I believe is quite a hike from newark) to get a chance to easily see NJ play (instead of having to drive two hours or whatever it is).

Now the fact that it won't be a NJ home game is just fvcking embarassing though.

But they saved money nn the rent for the night so there is a brightside.

Actually Shtikl is another one of the very few that actually paid money for devils minor league hockey so he too knows what he's talking about he's experienced it, not like others that comment on something they haven't experieved for themselves. I wish I didn't give a sh!t about Trenton hockey, but the tradition of winning and putting the best team possible on the ice reeled us in many years ago. It's all good though, NHL team misses the playoffs Albany dead last and Trenton 1 point from dead last, there's nothing to be unhappy about.

But yeah it's a joke that it's a Rangers home game, on the plus side the attendance will be better.

But they saved money nn the rent for the night so there is a brightside.

Guess you missed the Armstrong years in Trenton 04. Mediocre teams at best. Before your time?

That reason sounds almost as carefully scripted as Andy Ference's "fist pump malfunction". ;) The Rags should just own it and laugh about it. This is such a good zing to a rival, almost as good as if les Canadiens hosted the Boston Bruins for a pre-season game in Providence and gave out reversible whoopee cushions with Chara's and Ference's faces printed on either side to the first 5,000 fans in attendance.

For the sake of the taxpayers and residents of Albany County, which forked over (for them) big bucks to upgrade parts of the arena so the A-Devils would sign the lease there, I hope the pre-season game (and every A-Devils' home game) sells lots of tickets. Nice for the Devils players if they have a little fan support too, but the minor league Devils are used to having their fans outnumbered in their own barn so this will be business as usual for them.

Anyway, 'cause I still like the players, :gd:

That reason sounds almost as carefully scripted as Andy Ference's "fist pump malfunction". ;) The Rags should just own it and laugh about it. This is such a good zing to a rival, almost as good as if les Canadiens hosted the Boston Bruins for a pre-season game in Providence and gave out reversible whoopee cushions with Chara's and Ference's faces printed on either side to the first 5,000 fans in attendance.

so MSG isn't being renovated and the Rangers aren't not playing exhibition games there?

so MSG isn't being renovated and the Rangers aren't not playing exhibition games there?

So the Rags couldn't host the pre-season exhibition game in Hartford, their own AHL affiliate's barn? So the Devs couldn't schedule a pre-season game in Albany and mark their own turf? Come on, Tri, sure there are good reasons for it but this is funny stuff! Not sure who approached whom, but it looks like the TUC opened the door for the Rags, who stepped in and stole the Devils' lunch! :rofl: (Where's that shaking-your-booty icon when you need it? Rowdy, you know the one I mean, the naughty little guy who's so popular with the Hartford fans?)

Rowdy will remember this accurately, I think between the time that the Rats' owner announced the team was for sale (or was it leaving town?) and the late date that the Devils finally decided they were returning to Albany, there were some rumors that the Rags wanted to shift their AHL affiliation to the capital region. Didn't happen, false hopes and all, I guess, or maybe they wanted to do it but just couldn't find a partner franchise. But the Rags have some popular support in Albany, I think the rumors got a lot of people excited while they lasted.

So if the NJ Devils were hosting the event, AND the Devils were smart, the A-Devils' staff could put out some of their pocket schedules and merchandise and maybe get some new tushies, including some who would otherwise be NHL Rangers fans, into the seats during the farm team's regular season games. Nothing is sweeter than stealing your opponent's fans and winning their hearts and getting them to pay your minor leaguers' feed bills, right? Oh, WHAT a missed opportunity for the Devils! :P

(Where's that shaking-your-booty icon when you need it? Rowdy, you know the one I mean, the naughty little guy who's so popular with the Hartford fans?)

Lost to the ravages of time, one would hope. :P

Rowdy will remember this accurately, I think between the time that the Rats' owner announced the team was for sale (or was it leaving town?) and the late date that the Devils finally decided they were returning to Albany, there were some rumors that the Rags wanted to shift their AHL affiliation to the capital region. Didn't happen, false hopes and all, I guess, or maybe they wanted to do it but just couldn't find a partner franchise. But the Rags have some popular support in Albany, I think the rumors got a lot of people excited while they lasted.

That's about it, more or less. I don't know whether it was an actual possibility or just wishful thinking, but the rumors were out there. There were also rumors of the Sabres (Portland) and Isles (Bridgeport) affiliates moving in; obviously those didn't come to pass either.

Forgot about the Isles. But the AHL Pirates' owner certainly used Albany as a crowbar to pry a deal out of Portland. Good thing the Albany fans had grown themselves those impenetrable shields of bitterness and cynicism tempered by years of being fans of the Devils' farm club to protect them against the pain of another betrayal... :argh:

The Rags were probably unhappy about their AHL affiliate's decision to brownnose the old Whaler fans by changing the name and uniform and all. I feel sad that the ferocious Wolf Pack is now just moldy sashimi (is that what the "S" in the logo stands for? -- j/k I know it's a C but it's darned hard to tell!). Just saw pack_attack's avatar, wow, my sentiments exactly. But I didn't realize that a Hartford fan actually attacked their icky green whale mascot Pucky. Cue the Schadenfreude on the old hurdy-gurdy. They *might* have changed affiliations but they couldn't or wouldn't buy an AHL club and move it. Oh well, Rowdy, you might have four more years to wait.