Moving to Canada

njdevil26

Seriously, I want to know what people think about this.

I live in north jersey and am really honestly sick of a lot of things in this country... the health care system stinks, there is too much poverty, too many countries around the world hate us for being bullies... ive been trying to weigh the differences in between canada and the US

im considering going to law school at the university of toronto and settling in hamilton or the surrounding area once i am done with school... canada has one of the best health care systems in the world, a peaceful relationship with other countries and a happy attitude. cost of living and college costs are much more affordable than the united states, cities are cleaner, i love hockey, the US does not lol. and i love fishing and canada has a lot of that.

anything im missing? id love to take that opportunity... ive been to canada quite a few times and just love it!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you like the cold?

And the metric system is not a bitch........10.....simple just 10, not 14 or 16, just 10.

Hey, it is only university if you don't like it you can switch schools, and come back to the US after school if ya hate it........go for it.

i honestly dont mind the cold. my family has a shore house in normandy beach new jersey so if i ever get too sick of it i can visit down there.... being a devils fan in the toronto area would be fun haha.

the thing that makes this a hard decision is if i become a lawyer in ontario, id have to take the BAR exam again if i want to come back to jersey...

yeah... college life at alright college in reading, PA sucks.... thats why id begin my canadian adventure up there with law school. maybe even grad school then law school... ive got like a year to think about this haha

anyone wants to talk about it i.m. me! dmb41liog

think of college life up there as a try before you buy then and see what you think of it after the next 4-7 years of your life B )

wow ur from roselle park? i live in clark.... cool!

I live in north jersey and am really honestly sick of a lot of things in this country... the health care system stinks, there is too much poverty, too many countries around the world hate us for being bullies... ive been trying to weigh the differences in between canada and the US

im considering going to law school at the university of toronto and settling in hamilton or the surrounding area once i am done with school... canada has one of the best health care systems in the world, a peaceful relationship with other countries and a happy attitude. cost of living and college costs are much more affordable than the united states, cities are cleaner, i love hockey, the US does not lol. and i love fishing and canada has a lot of that.

anything im missing? id love to take that opportunity... ive been to canada quite a few times and just love it!

You're just depressed bc you're in Reading going to Albright/RAC. :P

Just go hang out at the Pagoda one night and you'll feel better.

Fishing you got the Schuykill river right there.

Hockey you have the Royals.

I know nothing of the Canadian health care system, but have no problems

with ours. Except for the cost of GOOD insurance.

Yeah it needed my upgrade :evil:

:puke: !!!!

Do you like the cold?

And the metric system is not a bitch........10.....simple just 10, not 14 or 16, just 10.

Hey, it is only university if you don't like it you can switch schools, and come back to the US after school if ya hate it........go for it.

what you can't count past 10??

After the 2004 election I was all set to move to Canada. Filled out the forms, etc, then I went on a trip to Montreal and got pulled over for doing 100 MPH in a 100 KMPH zone. After that I realized I hate the metric system and that was just one of the areas where it would screw me. I think that is the only reason Canada keeps the metric system, to keep Americans out.

I've had the same thoughts cross my mind. The Canadian immigration website says I probably have dual citizenship. My friends and I were looking at it after the 2000 election. "Could you be Canadian and not know?" And I was and I didn't. We also discovered you can bring your life partner with you, and I spent the rest of the year telling my friends, "If you don't help me with X, I won't bring you to Canada as my life partner when we all have to flee." But I digress. You're wrong about their healthcare system though. Better than ours, but not among the best in the world.

Law school is awful no matter where you go, but a lot cheaper in Canada, which is the biggest bouns by far. But full on leaving, I don't know. Kind of flaking out on our problems, in my opinion. There are lots of options that are decidely not flaking out, some more strident than others, and the end of 2007 and all of 2008 will be an excellent time to explore them. If you are interested in sticking around and working to change what you don't like, even temporarily, PM me.

When I was in Canada with my friends we went to the town of Hudson and I just loved it. So of course I inquired about moving to Canada. They both really wanted me too, of course one wanted me to move to Quebec, the other to Ontario, I love my Montreal pal, but I don't speak French so Ontario has more appeal. Hudson is in Quebec but they speak mostly English. Anyway, my friends told me it's tough to move to Canada unless you can provide a service (ie job) that can't be filled by a Canadian. I'm planning on being an English teacher and they aren't in demand up there, but if I wanted to be a nurse or other medical professional I'd be in.

You're just depressed bc you're in Reading going to Albright/RAC. :P

Just go hang out at the Pagoda one night and you'll feel better.

Fishing you got the Schuykill river right there.

Hockey you have the Royals.

I know nothing of the Canadian health care system, but have no problems

with ours. Except for the cost of GOOD insurance.

:puke: !!!!

what you can't count past 10??

haha yeah i go to albright... hate the people here. PA is so different than north jersey haha.

been to a lot of royals games they are fun

when i was with my ex we went up to the pagoda a lot at night... pretty much the only nice place in reading lol because its away from everything else

i dont trust fishing in the schuykill.... im afriad of picking up my line and finding spanish speaking morphed catfish haha

haha yeah i go to albright... hate the people here. PA is so different than north jersey haha.

been to a lot of royals games they are fun

when i was with my ex we went up to the pagoda a lot at night... pretty much the only nice place in reading lol because its away from everything else

i dont trust fishing in the schuykill.... im afriad of picking up my line and finding spanish speaking morphed catfish haha

Are you sure you want to move to Canada????

I decided to walk to class because it's only about 5 blocks at the most. So there I am standing waiting for the light to change to cross the street. I've got my hands full with a hot cup of cofee, my bag, and my Ipod. There is a young guy waiting to cross standing beside me. All of a sudden I hear this woman screaming absolute craziness coming towards us. Of course I try not to look at her at all, eyes forward..lol. She gets up to us and she stops suddenly right beside me and starts yelling in my ear about how she's going to sodomize me, fvkking in the as$, Ronald Reagan, like completely craziness. The light changes and me and the guy start crossing and that woman is following me screaming in my ear, I'm thinking holy crap, what do I do, if she comes near me i'm throwing this hot cofee in her face and running. Thankfully the guy stayed RIGHT beside me and when we had to stop at another light the woman started making kissy noises in my ear and actually started like playing with my hair. The guy said to her, "get the hell away from us you Fvcked up freak!" The woman then lunged at him and he grabbed her and threw her in a snowbank, looks at me and is like, "hurry up lets get the hell out of here!" So me and this guy start jetting down the block to the university.

On the way home I had to walk alone because it turns out the guy that was walking with me had an exam at the same time i did, but his lasted 3 hours, mine only 90 minutes. I SEE THE SAME LADY as I'm 1 block away from my place at the same intersection still screaming nonsense and she's waiting to cross on the other side of the street that I'm on. I decided not to cross there and ran the half block to my street and crossed in the middle of the road. I'm running down the street getting my keys ready and she's following me, thankfully parking lot security was there and the woman who had started to follow me again got scared and ran off to her cave or wherever she lives.

Why does crap like this always happen to me, that's what I want to know, GEEZ! :noclue

After the 2004 election I was all set to move to Canada. Filled out the forms, etc, then I went on a trip to Montreal and got pulled over for doing 100 MPH in a 100 KMPH zone. After that I realized I hate the metric system and that was just one of the areas where it would screw me. I think that is the only reason Canada keeps the metric system, to keep Americans out.

AHA, as I said: metric system: BITCH. :D:P

I was thinking the same thing Devilish.. annabelle has a new crazy story weekly that makes Canada seem like a not so great place to live. I mean if we are generalizing as a country. I thought it was a nice when I went to visit but I was little, but Im thinking moving to canada sounds like a bad choice, sounds like a lot of crazy people there and very very unsafe from the stories we here from her almost everyday. It seems as though they are not isolated incidents since there are so many just happening to one person we know there, it scares me to think about all the other scary things that happen there.

Definitely test it out before making a huge decision like that.

Don - Funny avatar!

Edited by langsgirl

What about being a singer or stand up comedian???

Actually, this is a complete mess up here. No, entertainer is *NOT* on the list of required skills here. The problem is that our list of required skills is bullsh!t. We bring in hordes of doctors, pharmacists, scientists, engineers, educators... and then we don't accept their foreign accreditation and make them drive cabs. It's infuriating. The stupid thing is that what Canada needs right now is TRUCK DRIVERS, CONSTRUCTION CREWS and other types of MANUAL LABOURERS. So basically, if you can spare some of the illegal Mexicans, we are in desperate needs. They would make damn good money. We've got the oilsands truck drivers raking in $40 per hour. It really irks me that our immigration system is built up only to except highly educated white collar foreigners and then we waste that resource when what we really need is hard working blue collar immigrants willing to learn a trade on the job. The Conservative government promised in the last election to fix this mess, but they have much bigger priorities to attend to, such as repealing the gay marriage law. :argh:

As for the metric system, sheesh.... it's not that hard. Then again, I guess if you grow up with it, it's not hard. I haven't the foggiest idea what measurements in Fahrenheit and I have very little conception of how long a mile is. But we still measure height in feet and weight in pounds.

Petey: I'm gonna guess that you weren't given a ticket for speeding. 100 miles per hour is about typical for a Quebecer. I'm gonna hazard a guess that you were given a ticket for "driving a car with an American license plate".

Petey: I'm gonna guess that you weren't given a ticket for speeding. 100 miles per hour is about typical for a Quebecer. I'm gonna hazard a guess that you were given a ticket for "driving a car with an American license plate".

I would think the same thing... that even happens in different states around here.. so I would think the American Plates dont help, since Jersey plates dont help in most other states :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.