Moving to Canada

njdevil26

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh c'mon, who goes to Winnipeg anyway?

I dont know actually.. but people live there :)

I'd like to have a cottage or apartment in Canada when I get older and if I had the money. I love it up there. But in a vacation way.

I'm an American.

I am hoping to some day get to my boyfriends familys cottage up there, sounds like a nice trip and a pretty place.

I think it's hilarious how the title of the topic is Moving to Canada,, lmao why not say Ontario? Anyway, living in Toronto would not be so bad, I was actually planning on going to Mcgill University before "life" happened. If you move to Toronto you could go around thinking you're superior to every other city! Hamilton is a nice place, my dads sister lives there and loves it, although the commute to Toronto sucked as$ she has said.

And no, nobody comes to Winnipeg voluntarily. The crime rate in Winnipeg is one of the highest in Canada and we just lost our Murder Capital Of Canada title to Edmonton, but theres still almost a full month left. Actually Winnipeg is a good place to live, I'm sure that my constant stories of crazy run-ins has more to do with the fact that I chose to buy a condo right downtown that is close to my school and not because Winnipeg is populated by weirdos..I am thinking however of buying an actual house in a suburb sometime next year though but I'm sure I'll miss the freakshows that walk along the streets in this area..

But yeah, why not move to "Canada"? I wouldn't live anywhere else!Just don't be one of those transplanted Americans that just have to bring up that they're American in every single convo..it can get annoying at times.

Metric system shouldn't be that big of a deal, tons of people I know still operate in the outdated American way....lol jk..and when you go for a haircut you don't need to say, "I'd like 5 centimeters off", you say however many inches....The whole speed thing shouldn't be much of a problem as people around Toronto travel close to 100 mph anyway on the freeways...

The healthcare is a pretty rad bonus of being a resident of Canada, although you still have to pay for your prescriptions and such, unless you're a Status Aboriginal like me! woo free dental, medications, cheap smokes and gas...I LOVE being halfbred!

Move to Canada, we'll party it up on one of my excellent Canadian Roadtrips or when I visit my cousins in T.O! Imagine all the hammered good times we'll have....

Toronto isn't that cold actually...

Edited by annabelle

what about lawyers? if i intend to practice law in ontario would that be acceptable?

Why wouldn't it be? My uncle is a defense attorney in T.O and he makes wicked cash...

he makes wicked cash...

I thought you were from Canada not from Bean town.

Or maybe I watched Good Will Hunting too much in the last week or two.

Oh c'mon, who goes to Winnipeg anyway?

Yeah tv said it was 5 degrees up there this morn.

F dat I take the 20 degrees in Oxford.

The healthcare is a pretty rad bonus of being a resident of Canada, although you still have to pay for your prescriptions and such, unless you're a Status Aboriginal like me! woo free dental, medications, cheap smokes and gas...I LOVE being halfbred!

We learn new things about you every day!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Okay, what if you wanted to start your own business or already had your own business and wanted to move it to Canada?

Okay, what if you wanted to start your own business or already had your own business and wanted to move it to Canada?

Guess that depends on your trade.

I'd bet construction would be a biatch esp residential.

So basically, if you can spare some of the illegal Mexicans, we are in desperate needs. They would make damn good money. It really irks me that our immigration system is built up only to except highly educated white collar foreigners and then we waste that resource when what we really need is hard working blue collar immigrants willing to learn a trade on the job. The Conservative government promised in the last election to fix this mess, but they have much bigger priorities to attend to, such as repealing the gay marriage law. :argh:

You know that's not a bad idea at all. I think instead of building that fence/wall between US and Mexico, they should build a road right up to Canada. We have many out of work illegals and you have the work. Why can't governments get together and do things that benefit all?

Wow, data from four years ago. Waiting a few weeks is still preferable to not getting it done at all which is the only option for millions of Americans without insurance.

It's not just Ontario that people want to move to. I was all set to move to Vancouver. After all, there are only four cities in Canada: Vancouver, Banff, Toronto and Montreal.

Do you ever tire of being wrong?

My sister is on a board of a local hospital.

An ILLEGAL walked in and demanded twice weekly kidney dialysis and guess what......at $40,000 a week, (or month) this hospital by law, HAD TO PROVIDE.

And he didn't wait. NO ONE gets turned away, by law.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

In case anyone was wondering why DM moved this topic to the Politics section, Jimmy's arrival is the reason. It was inevitable that Leeds would show up and pull out his usual "build up the US by tearing down every other country on the face of the planet" tactics.

Spare me......does this cut & paste.........canada has one of the best health care systems in the world, that he wrote not deserve a response?

The poor guy is upset because he lives in a "bullying" country and thinks he'll find Utopia in Canada.

Should I not provide him with the truth?

I think it's hilarious how the title of the topic is Moving to Canada,, lmao why not say Ontario? Anyway, living in Toronto would not be so bad, I was actually planning on going to Mcgill University before "life" happened. If you move to Toronto you could go around thinking you're superior to every other city! Hamilton is a nice place, my dads sister lives there and loves it, although the commute to Toronto sucked as$ she has said.

And no, nobody comes to Winnipeg voluntarily. The crime rate in Winnipeg is one of the highest in Canada and we just lost our Murder Capital Of Canada title to Edmonton, but theres still almost a full month left. Actually Winnipeg is a good place to live, I'm sure that my constant stories of crazy run-ins has more to do with the fact that I chose to buy a condo right downtown that is close to my school and not because Winnipeg is populated by weirdos..I am thinking however of buying an actual house in a suburb sometime next year though but I'm sure I'll miss the freakshows that walk along the streets in this area..

But yeah, why not move to "Canada"? I wouldn't live anywhere else!Just don't be one of those transplanted Americans that just have to bring up that they're American in every single convo..it can get annoying at times.

Metric system shouldn't be that big of a deal, tons of people I know still operate in the outdated American way....lol jk..and when you go for a haircut you don't need to say, "I'd like 5 centimeters off", you say however many inches....The whole speed thing shouldn't be much of a problem as people around Toronto travel close to 100 mph anyway on the freeways...

Move to Canada, we'll party it up on one of my excellent Canadian Roadtrips or when I visit my cousins in T.O! Imagine all the hammered good times we'll have....

Toronto isn't that cold actually...

yeah i said moving to canada becuase if i said moving to ontario, maybe people would think i already live in canada? i dont know..... . haha

anyway yeah my mother was mentioning mcgill university as a possible destination for me... but im almost done with college here in the states and i think ill just pick a law school in ontario.... trust me, i wont be one of those americans that mention that im american all the time... ive lived in the the US for 17 years but i was born in italy... so i am italian :-)

Spare me......does this cut & paste.........canada has one of the best health care systems in the world, that he wrote not deserve a response?

The poor guy is upset because he lives in a "bullying" country and thinks he'll find Utopia in Canada.

Should I not provide him with the truth?

no need to be mean. maybe if canada doesnt have the BEST healthcare which i know they dont... they have a good one, better than the united states...

i mean i just keep adding things to the list of why its so appealing.

canada is not a utopia i understand that.... ive enjoyed all of my visits there and have had a great time. and i think its time for a change for me. ive been all around the united states and dont find it that interesting anymore and i dont like the direction this country is going. im sorry if ive offended anyone

In case anyone was wondering why DM moved this topic to the Politics section, Jimmy's arrival is the reason. It was inevitable that Leeds would show up and pull out his usual "build up the US by tearing down every other country on the face of the planet" tactics.

I think it got moved here because inevitably any negative post on Canada was going to lead to a personal attack and name calling. I decided against posting my thoughts on Canada despite living there and still having all my family living there just to avoid name calling and arguing that I knew would follow.

I think it got moved here because inevitably any negative post on Canada was going to lead to a personal attack and name calling. I decided against posting my thoughts on Canada despite living there and still having all my family living there just to avoid name calling and arguing that I knew would follow.

i like your avatar. im going to see the royals again friday.

Sorry njd26. Sorry if you considered it mean.

I just get attacked here relentlessly for being pro-American.

It's frowned upon here.

But the Health Care isssue you raise was in error. Watch the movie in the first link I provided.

Do you ever tire of being wrong?

My sister is on a board of a local hospital.

An ILLEGAL walked in and demanded twice weekly kidney dialysis and guess what......at $40,000 a week, (or month) this hospital by law, HAD TO PROVIDE.

And he didn't wait. NO ONE gets turned away, by law.

In New Jersey this is true. It is not true in most other states. Even here, if you earn over a certain (very small) amount you don't qualify and have to pay up.

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/healthcare/uninsured/njcc/

The very poor are covered under medicaid and various state programs and many in the middle class and up are covered by employer or privately purchased health plans. It is the millions in the middle who make enough to get by but not enough to pay for private insurance who get screwed and avoid necessary care because it is prohibitive.

Universal health care is not perfect but it is certainly superior to the current state of health care in this country.

Healthcare is a hot button topic. My Canadian frined here says healthcare is what keeps him out of Canada. He said for having babies and "normal" stuff it's great. He said if you're critically ill, unless you're rich, forget it - you're toast.

They have great maternity though. My friend who is a nurse up in the Toronto area also said she loves Canada and they do their best but they're under staffed and the whole wait system does in fact kill people who wouldn't die in the US... so you send people down to the US - they get the care they need and yeah -- billed out the wazoo after the fact but better indebted and alive is the genereal feeling.

This is all just heresay from Canadian friends however - I know not from whence I speak. and I still want to move to Cape Breton!!

Thanks, Petey for that depressing link. I checked out the Federal Poverty Level, in NJ NO ONE could live on that kind of money. Too many hard working Americans are left out in the cold in more ways than one, homeless, uninsured. It's really sad. A recently divorced friend has been laid off twice in the past year and between her unemployment and meager child support she's unable to pay her rent and is being evicted, no state agency could help her because she made just a little too much money. Mind boggling.

Healthcare is a hot button topic. My Canadian frined here says healthcare is what keeps him out of Canada. He said for having babies and "normal" stuff it's great. He said if you're critically ill, unless you're rich, forget it - you're toast.

Same issues in Ireland too. Wife has family over there.

Two months for a gallbladder operation

Sammy I didn't quote the whole thing this time

:rofl:

That was hilarious!!!!! Thanks for the laugh Jimmy!!!

My favorite parts -

The NDP warning about wait times in the newspaper headlines... I vote for the NDP, who's platform includes INCREASED spending on health care. So a guy on the right is using criticisms from the left to attack the middle. Beautiful. We've discussed this 100 times before and I think I dealt with the issue well enough here:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?sho...amp;hl=mulroney

- The mention of North Korea and Cuba being the only other countries where you can't buy private health insurance. Uh, Canada happens to be a democratic free nation that does have the right to CHOOSE this system. If any party were to put legalizing private health insurance in their platform they would be simply assuring themselves that they wouldn't win a single seat in our government. Usually Alberta is as conservative as conservative gets, but don't you dare touch their socialized health care. It's not an oppressive dictatorship banning private health care, it was the democratic choice of the Canadian people. It's not as if we were the only country not to sign the "United Nations Convention on the Rights of Children" other than Somalia. Sheesh.

- The French fellow at the end that says "Rich people are much better than poor people, so they deserve better health care. Because if you have money, your good... the best. But poor people, pfft. Go America!" Which is the crux of the whole thing. We have a system where the weaknesses are spread across all social strata; by choice we have accepted that all people are equal when it comes to health care.

nj26: I would recommend that you watch the movie. And ask yourself, "Is this the kind of attitude that I wish to escape from?"

Edited by Don

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.