Miller & Vanek on the block

SterioDesign

interesting, imagine tallinder and larsson... ok all the swedes, for miller and vanek.

no schnieder and instead maybe nichushkin or domi or horvat or lazar even

i was talking about getting schieder 3 years ago, now im not so sure.

Miller is older than Scheider and appears to be on the decline.  Plus you'd be dealing with Vanek's $7+ million cap hit, and that he is in the last year of his contract.

So the "get a prospect earlier who will be developed sooner" or "get an proven NHL player instead of a pick who might no pan out" arguments that you made yourself awhile ago for the Matteau's case and for this year draft are no good now... interesting.

Sigh.  Okay, Riddler.  Let's take this one step at a time.

Buffalo has had 2 1st round picks in each of the last 2 drafts.  If I were Buffalo, I'd want a 2015 pick - my future looks plenty bright without another 2014, and I can take the shot at 2015 hoping to land McDavid.  In addition, my team should hopefully be coming around by 2015, such that I could trade my own or that 2015 pick in 2015 for additional talent to upgrade the team when the time comes (in 2014-15).  Buffalo has Girgensons, Grigorenko, Ristolainen, Zadorov, and Armia as players out of the NHL who (some of them at least) figure to be decent NHLers  This is the opposite scenario of the Devils, who had almost no one at forward who they could think that about.

Two, a team trading a draft pick is much different than giving one up as a result of a fine from the NHL, because NJ was going to have to choose one year to give it up.  A team doesn't have to trade a 1st round draft pick.  But you're right that teams don't often trade draft picks for 2 years in advance - I suspect part of it is the inequality of uncertainty.  The team giving up the pick usually needs good compensation to defray the risk of giving up a potential top 5 pick, and the team getting the pick can't give up too much for what could be a lower 20s 1st round pick.  After all, the Devils made a trade in 1989 that got them a 1st round pick in 1991, paid off pretty handsomely - I think that could be why you don't see much of that anymore.

Edited by Triumph

this summer if they'd be willing to do Henrique + Urbom + 3rd conditional (1st if he re-sign) I'd fvcking do it in a second and never look back. Even throw Tedenby in the mix if you have to if thats not enough lol or if they'd want Boucher i'd look into it too. Vanek is a fvcking bomb.

lets say next season.

Vanek - Zajac - Kovalchuk

Clowe - Elias - Ryder

Matteau - Loktionov - Zubrus

Olesz - Josefson - Carter

Thats some scary sh!t.

No doubt, but if Boucher is a part there's no way I do it. He has scoring ability on par with Stamkos, no way I'm giving that up before he even sniffs the NHL

Since Vaneks caphit this year would not fit to our team it's a nice dream like SD said.

But imagine for just 10 seconds what a Line of LW Vanek and RW Kovy could do to the Rags and Pens and Philly :dizzy:

No doubt, but if Boucher is a part there's no way I do it. He has scoring ability on par with Stamkos, no way I'm giving that up before he even sniffs the NHL

i wouldnt say he's on par with Stamkos, I get the record thing but Steven put up two seasons of 92 and 105 pts as a 16/17 years old rookie while Boucher had one similar season than Stamkos but as a 18/19 years old... still pretty good but there's a huge difference there. Stamkos jumped in the NHL right away and scored 20+ goals... imagine 2 more years in the Juniors what he would have done.

But i get your point though he still has great upsides if he can develop in the NHL and he's our only scoring prospect pretty much.

I'd go for Heatley over Vanek, we wouldn't have to give up as much to get him (Josefson/Urbom) but we'd have to dump more cap to get him as well (Salvador probably). I think it'd be worth it though, he's only got a year left so it's not a long term salary burden and he'd round oput our top 6 real nice being reunited with Kovalchuk.

Edit: We'd also have to sign Henrique for real cheap this season, about 2 million.

Heatley-Henrique-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Loktionov-Zubrus

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Larsson

Gelinas-Fayne

Volchenkov-Harrold

Merril

Edited by Devs4LIFE