2009 MLB Postseason Thread

nmigliore

Bah, why not. I think I made one last year too..

(quick note - I made most of these write ups before the Twins/Tigers tie-breaker game, so I apologize if I missed something or have a stat slightly wrong)

postseason.png

My Playoff Preview/Predictions

ALDS Preview / Prediction

New York Yankees vs Minnesota Twins

- The Yankees have one of the best, if not the best, lineup in all of baseball. Derek Jeter. Mark Teixeira. Alex Rodriguez. Nick Swisher. And thats only a few of the big names. There is a reason this team led the majors in OPS and weighted on base average (wOBA), and other major offensive categories, and no, its not because of the new Yankee Stadium (okay.. maybe a LITTLE bit). But still a formidable lineup nonetheless. The Twins have a pretty solid lineup that has helped get them into the post-season. They are led by the soon-to-be AL MVP Joe Mauer, and other names like Denard Span, Jason Kubel, and Michael Cuddyer have stepped up in the absence of Justin Morneau. Again, overall its a solid lineup, but it just doesn't compare to the Yankees' hellacious lineup in my opinion. The Yankees will use a rotation of Sabathia-Burnett-Pettitte with perhaps Chad Gaudin as a 4th starter option. Hey, its quality enough for me, the only real problem that could come up is the catching situation with Burnett (but from what I heard, Molina will be catching Burnett in Game 2). The Twins will presumably use starters Carl Pavano, Nick Blackburn, Scott Baker, and perhaps Brian Duensing who was the best of that group in September. Though quite frankly, there is really nobody that jumps out at me in their rotation, edge to the starting rotation goes to the Yankees here. The Yankees' bullpen is solid. Certainly you can't get much better than their late-game combo of Hughes in the 8th and Rivera in the 9th. Or could you? How about sticking Chamberlain in the bullpen, just for the post-season, and using him as the 7th inning man? Why not? Otherwise he really has no business starting in the playoffs. One of the Twins' strengths is their bullpen, as obviously seen in the tiebreaker game, led by one of the top closers in baseball - Joe Nathan. Jon Rauch has been a welcome addition to the bullpen, putting up a microscopic 1.80 ERA as a Twin. Other relievers Jose Mijares and Matt Guerrier are also worth mentioning.

Prediction: Yankees, 3-1. Rotation is quality enough for me, especially when the offense can do so much damage.

ALDS Preview / Prediction

Los Angeles Angels vs Boston Red Sox

- I can tell you, this is going to be a great series. The Red Sox and Angels both have great lineups that rank them near the top of the AL in production; in fact both teams have had very similar offensive production. The pitching is where things get a little different. The Red Sox will presumably throw out some combination of Lester-Beckett-Buchholz-Matsuzaka while the Angels will throw out some combination of Lackey-Kazmir-Weaver and perhaps one of Santana or Saunders. I like the Red Sox rotation here. As for the bullpens, there is disparity - the Red Sox have a dependable bullpen that includes veteran Billy Wagner, young, hard-throwing Josh Bard, and their flare for the dramatic closer, Jonathan Papelbon. A game could easily be over after the 6th inning with that kind late-game bullpen. While on the flipside, the Angels have struggled to put together a quality bullpen - their bullpen ERA ranks near the bottom in the AL and Brian Fuentes is certainly no Francisco Rodriguez. Jose Arredondo, arguably their best relief pitcher last year, has been a big disappointment for them this year and they certainly miss Scot Shields. Kevin Jepsen is a name to watch for in that bullpen though.

Prediction: Red Sox, 3-2. Better rotation, better bullpen.

NLDS Preview / Prediction

Los Angeles Dodgers vs St. Louis Cardinals

- Another excellent 1st round series. In terms of offensive production I have to give the slight edge to the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are led by 2 young, outstanding outfielders - Matt Kemp (CF) Andre Ethier (RF). Though of course the Cardinals do have the best player in baseball, Albert Pujols (aka The Machine), so that always helps. The Dodgers are really going to need their outfield to produce - the pressure will be on Manny, Kemp, and Ethier; its simple - if they don't produce, they won't win the series. In terms of starting pitching: the Cardinals will throw out Cy Young candidates Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright along with the revitalized Joel Pineiro - that's a killer 3 for a best of 5 series. The Dodgers will use Wolf-Kershaw-Kuroda and perhaps one of Billingsley or Garland. Is that good enough to match the Cardinals deep staff? I don't think it is. The Dodgers have a very strong late-game bullpen headed by Jonathan Broxton (closer) and George Sherrill, who has been LIGHTS OUT since hes donned the Dodger-blue. Ramon Troncoso and Ronald Belisario are 2 other relievers worth mentioning. Ryan Franklin, the Cardinals' closer, has struggled a ton in September which could bring about some questions about their late-game bullpen. Would they consider moving Smoltz to the bullpen for the post-season? I do think their bullpen as a whole is good, but not as strong as the Dodgers' 'pen is.

Prediction: Cardinals, 3-1. Excellent starting pitching wins, and they have it, headed by Carpenter and Wainwright.

NLDS Preview / Prediction

Philadelphia Phillies vs Colorado Rockies

- There is no hiding it - the Phillies have the best lineup in the National League, headed by Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, the incredibly underrated Jayson Werth, and spark plug Shane Victorino. Jimmy Rollins has had an awful year but kicking it into gear for the post-season will only make this Philly lineup even stronger. As for Colorado - Troy Tulowitzki is certainly having a big year, Todd Helton has been great, and who the heck is this Seth Smith guy? Its a solid lineup overall, but to me, it just doesn't compare to the juggernaut in Philadelphia. The Phillies will most likely go with some combo of Lee-Hamels-Blanton as their playoff rotation, with perhaps Pedro or Happ in there as well. The Philadelphia bullpen is awful so I wouldn't be surprised to see Happ moved there and Pedro used as a potential 4th starter. I think Lee-Hamels-Blanton is an excellent short-series pitching staff, although both Lee and Hamels have had their ups and downs this year. The Rockies have a solid rotation themselves, too: Jimenez-Marquis-Hammel-Cook. Missing lefty starter Jorge De La Rosa (groin injury) is definitely going to hurt this team though. Now on to the bullpens, which I'm sure all Phillies fans just don't want to hear about. If they are smart, they would tell Brad Lidge to go home, and use Ryan Madson as their closer. And I am not kidding about Lidge.. hes been THAT bad. Moving Madson to the closer role then opens up the setup man role - who can fill this? Happ? Myers? Hell, what about Chan Ho Park or Chad Durbin? Scott Eyre? I don't know, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Phillies' late-game bullpen, especially against a team like the Rockies who constantly fight back and find ways to win baseball games. I think the Rockies have a fair bullpen - I specifically like their late-game guys - Franklin Morales and Huston Street. Rafael Betancourt has been excellent since joining the Rockies too. Joe Beimel has been a big dissapointment though, and you know hes going to be needed eventually against the lefty-heavy Philly lineup.

Prediction: Phillies, 3-1. Their rotation is nice for a 5 game series and their offensive power is easily the best in the National League. The only way I can see Philly losing this series is if their bullpen fails them, which obviously wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

That was a great appetizer game between the Twins/Tigers.. now lets get the real thing going. B )

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Yankees, Cardinals, and BoSox as well, but I'm a little iffy on Phillies/Rockies. Starting pitching is clearly in Philly's strength, and their lineup is just better than Colorado's, but I just have a feeling that the Rockies are going to win the games late. I'd definitely pick Colorado if De La Rosa was here, but right now I'm on the fence.

Ubaldo Jimenez is showing his nasty stuff. 99-100 mph fastball with a 80 mph curve and some 87-88 mph sliders. Sick.

Good point nmigliore...and I agree...Ubaldo has FILTHY stuff and is on the cusp of becoming an elite starter in the Majors...

So far 2-0 Phillies in the 6th but for Philly its all about the bullpen...excellent writeup BTW...

My picks:

Phillies in 5: As long as Lidge is not seen that often.

Dodgers in 5: An upset pick, just a gut feeling that the Dodgers will get to Wainwright

Angels in 4: Finally, the Angels have the kind of lineup to produce against Boston, they will run like crazy.

Yankees in 3: Twins are a great story, but are overmatched here.

Man, Jimenez just fell apart the last couple innings. And these wind gusts are crazy.

Joe Beimel comes in to go after Ibanez and he gives up an RBI hit. I noted in my preview how Beimel has been a disappointment for them.

edit: i should have added that the umpiring in this game has been awful.

Edited by nmigliore

American League....

Two "always beats" series. The Yankees have owned Minnesota both in the regular season and the playoffs and Boston has dominated the Angels.

#1) 26 Time World Champion New York Yankees vs #3) Minnesota Twins

Big market vs small market. Good vs Evil. An owner who invests in the team vs one who takes the money and runs. The Twins will be relying on Glass Carl Pavano for possibly two games in this series. That is if he gets out of a start at Yankee Stadium alive.

Yankees in 3.

#2) California Angels of Anaheim by way of Los Angeles vis a vis America under the auspices of the Western Hemisphere on Earth vs #4) Boston Red Sox

Can both teams lose? No? Oh well. The Angels are plucky team winning in spite of Vlad having a sub par year. I hate both of these teams. I am rooting for an Earthquake.

Earthquake in 2!

National League.....

#1) Los Angeles Dodgers vs #3) St. Louis Pujols and friends.

Pujols is awesome. Manny is a flake. Torre has not gotten out of the first round since 2004.

Streak continues!

Pujols in 5

#2) Defending World Champion Philadelphia Phillies vs #4) Colorado Rockies

Colorado is not the feel good story of the year like last time they were here. However, Philly is still allowing Lidge to close games. This will burn them. But not until the NLCS.

Phillies in 4.

Edited by PeteyNice

#1) Los Angeles Dodgers vs #3) St. Louis Pujols and friends.

Pujols is awesome. Manny is a flake. Torre has not gotten out of the first round since 2004.

Streak continues!

Pujols in 5

What are you talking about? The Dodgers went to the NLCS last year under Torre.

I'll say this about Jorge's defense: He better find his offense.

he's really a trainwreck at this point but at least Jose Molina is starting tomorrow and at least we know what we're getting from him, top shelf defense and an 0-4. And no matter who was starting out of the 2, they'd hit into a double play :whistling:

Ronnie Belliard is starting over Orlando Hudson at 2B for the Dodgers; my initial thought was "wtf?" but I just realized Belliard has hit .351/.398/.636 as a Dodger while Hudson has been pretty average in the 2nd half this season.

Even though Hudson is the definite better player, you can't really argue with riding the hot hand into the playoffs I guess.

Oh, and Matt Kemp is a beast.

Edited by nmigliore

Today's Games:

postseason.png

That was a huge win for the Dodgers last night, they beat the Cardinals' ace without having their own ace (Kershaw) pitch. And they showed you how strong their damn bullpen is with Belisario-Kuo-Sherrill-Broxton in the late innings.

Edited by nmigliore

CBP is a joke. As soon as Werth hit that fly ball to left I turned away from the TV...inning over (from watching games at citi field all year, off the bat that's an automatic out) no it's a home run to right center. 1st row, 398 feet. What a joke.

Ryan Franklin, the Cardinals' closer, has struggled a ton in September which could bring about some questions about their late-game bullpen. Would they consider moving Smoltz to the bullpen for the post-season? I do think their bullpen as a whole is good, but not as strong as the Dodgers' 'pen is.

tsk, tsk.

Wainwright goes 8.1 innings, only 1 run on 3 hits.. and then Ryan Franklin can't get 2 outs to nail down the win for him. If the Cardinals lose this game they my as well wave their postseason goodbye. Well actually, to be fair, Matt Holliday blew it for them by not catching that ball in LF.

edit: walkoff single to CF for Mark Loretta, wow. Matt Holliday must feel like crying after that.

Edited by nmigliore

Nick Punto is like the David Eckstein of the AL. Both pesky, short, light-hitting middle infielders who grind out at bats.

Gardenhire should get Nathan warmed up for the 8th, he might be needed for a 4 save.

Edited by nmigliore

Nick Punto is like the David Eckstein of the AL. Both pesky, short, light-hitting middle infielders who grind out at bats.

Gardenhire should get Nathan warmed up for the 8th, he might be needed for a 4 save.

Definitely would've happened if Jeter got on base.

let's see if nathan can get this done

Edited by '7'