Serious Question from Flyer Fan

flyers_in_6

flyers_in_6 Posted on Apr 7 2004, 01:28 PM

Much to your surprise, Desjardin is back and has been playing for a couple of games now. He is the Flyers' core on defense and it means a lot to have him back.

Well, now that Eric is now out for the remainder of the playoffs I guess the Philly defense has taken a big hit. Given he means a lot to the team as you say.

Bottom line is that the Devils have to take just one game out of the first two and they get home ice back. If Philly loses game one the pressure from the fans and media will start to take a toll on the team. I can hear those sticks being griped to tight as I type if the blow game one.

Remember, we have the cup. We have had it three times in the past nine years. Who do you think really is under the gun hear?

The Flyers defense is great on paper, but they don't have that one crease-clearer that would make it an excellent top 6. As is, they aren't that good together as they could be. Ragnarsson, Malakhov, Markov, and Timander are big, and strong, but aside from Markov, none of them plays a particularly tough game.

The problem is, the Flyers' third pair is light years better than what the Devils can ice there. In this series, that could be all that matters. The Flyers have three scoring lines, and we need a defensive pair to match each one. This isn't like the Senators, who had Havlat and two scrubby guys next to him, this is 9 stellar forwards.

Again, it's going to come down to the Devils 2nd scoring line. That's where I feel the Flyers defense is weakest; they'll handle Elias-Gomez-Gionta (though if Burns is smart, he will put Stevenson there and give him 15 minutes a game, and pound the crap out of those softer defensemen), but the Flyers really have 2 2nd defensemen and 4 4th and 5ths.

I have a few more Jerry:

Tom Barrasso, Arturs Irbe and Kevin Weekes

Not exactly household names that beat the Devils. I don't care how great your goalie and D are. If your team doesn't score enough goals, it's not going to matter. You've seen it before. All it takes is a hot goalie.

Whoever scores first in each game of this series should have an edge in how it's played. Both teams are good with the lead and play puck possession.

The Flyers defense is great on paper, but they don't have that one crease-clearer that would make it an excellent top 6. As is, they aren't that good together as they could be. Ragnarsson, Malakhov, Markov, and Timander are big, and strong, but aside from Markov, none of them plays a particularly tough game

Weinrich did, at times he had a Sean Hill streak. They were damn fools for letting him get away.

I have a few more Jerry:

Tom Barrasso, Arturs Irbe and Kevin Weekes

Not exactly household names that beat the Devils. I don't care how great your goalie and D are. If your team doesn't score enough goals, it's not going to matter. You've seen it before. All it takes is a hot goalie.

Whoever scores first in each game of this series should have an edge in how it's played. Both teams are good with the lead and play puck possession.

I'm not the world's biggest Barass-hole fan, but I wouldn't put him the same category at Irbe and Weekes.

<JESTER>