Spectors Trade Rumors 7/18/04

Rock

18 JULY 2004.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

ANOTHER "THORNTON TO THE PANTHERS" RUMOUR.

DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan reports Boston Bruins captain Joe Thornton apparently is still upset at Bruins management, and Kulfan suggests the real reason Thornton filed for salary arbitration is to force the Bruins into trading him. Thornton's agent claims otherwise, and Bruins GM Mike O'Connell insists his captain has never complained to management. Kulfan writes of speculation that Thornton will be dealt to the Florida Panthers, who have deep in promising, affordable young players and have room on their payroll to absorb the big forward's salary.

Spector's Note: For the record, Panthers GM Mike Keenan insists he's not trying to land Thornton via trade or offer sheet. This speculation, however, simply refuses to go away. The one stumbling block I can see in this is what the Bruins asking price could be. Assuming they're discussing a deal with Keenan, I suspect they'd want Jay Bouwmeester as part of the package, a player whom Keenan would be most reluctant to give up.

GOMEZ FOR NIEDERMAYER?

TORONTO STAR/WAYMORESPORTS.COM: reports New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is interested in dealing for Anaheim Mighty Ducks forward Rob Niedermayer as incentive for his Norris-winning brother Scott to re-sign a long term deal with the team. It's believed the Mighty Ducks asking price is Scott Gomez, which might be too high for Larmoriello, who wants to keep the heir apparent to captain Scott Stevens "at all costs". The site also noted the brothers enjoyed playing together at this year's World Championships, so much so they're considering returning home to Vancouver and signing with the Canucks when they're eligible for UFA status.

Spector's Note: It's important to remember that the Devils are lacking talented depth at centre, so if Lamoriello were to swing that trade he'd have to have another one planned to fill the void left by Gomez's departure. I doubt that Lamoriello would make that move anyway, since it would be ridiculous to part with a first line playmaking centre for a checking line grinder.

(Wow they managed to tie Gomez into the Niedermayer saga!) :rofl::rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Devsrule

Will the Gomez rumors ever stop? What does this man have to do to establish himself as a non tradeable player?? He is our number one center and was part of the best line in the NHL the second half!!!!!!!!!!!

Gomez for Rob= HORRIBLE

Pretty soon we might see Gomez for Thornton :rofl:

This is a new low, these guys are the equal to Star magazine for hochey!

Guest Devsrule
Without a doubt this is the worst Gomez trade rumor ever. EVER! Scott for Rob Nieds is a laughable. If this happens I'll personally drive to the CAA and stick my size 11/2 boot up Lou's butt. 

:rofl::D

OK, as the official Keeper of Lou, I have to step in here and defend his honor. It's my job. Even though he is completely not himself this summer and is spending $$$ like there is no tommorow, he has not suddenly become STUPID. This isn't happening. He may want to get Nieds Mark II if he thinks it is the move that will seal the deal with Nieds Mark I, but he wouldn't give up Gomez for R. Nieds straight up.

NOT HAPPENING.

Guest Devsrule

Just because he had ONE bad season doesnt mean he has no hockey sense. Elias had a bad year in 2003 and look how he responded.

Why do you hate Friesen so much?  Did you not see the 2003 playoffs?

Yea, I also say the 2004 season, 2004 playoffs and the world hockey championships. The guy has no hockey sense.

I'll add to that, the boy can skate and has a very good shot... but his lack of effort annoys the hell out of me.

I always tell the boys on the soccer team I coach that being talent is only 1 small piece of the equation, hard work will ALWAYS beat skill when Skill does not work hard.... and IMHO that describes Freeze to a "T"!!!!

No HEART!!!

GET RID OF THE BUM!!!

I'll add to that, the boy can skate and has a very good shot... but his lack of effort annoys the hell out of me.

I always tell the boys on the soccer team I coach that being talent is only 1 small piece of the equation, hard work will ALWAYS beat skill when Skill does not work hard.... and IMHO that describes Freeze to a "T"!!!!

No HEART!!!

GET RID OF THE BUM!!!

I think the opposite, I don't think he has the talent to produce on his own. Thats why he is so streaky, I don't think its because of lack of effort. In fact thats part of the reason I like him, because I do think he tries hard. However, he can't handle the puck for the life of him. If he has to carry it into the zone you might as well count it as a turn over.

Just because he had ONE bad season doesnt mean he has no hockey sense. Elias had a bad year in 2003 and look how he responded.

Theres really a huge difference here. Elias's bad year he had 57 points, in Friesen's bad year, he had 37 points. Elias is far more consistent than Friesen is. I think the year before he got traded to NJ he only had 17 goals and 47 points.

Why do people get worked up about this stuff?

It says it's believed the Ducks want Gomer. That means it's what they want, not what's offered. It even says in the article that that's too high a price for Lou.

So we don't need to bust a gut over it or even rate it as a trade.

I love when Friesen's year is compared to Elias' off year... even in his so-called off year he was still offensive leader on the team. His linemates were often far worse than Friesen (I love Bicek uh but he don't belong on the top line) and previously stated he still had 20 points more.

Guest Devsrule
His linemates were often far worse than Friesen

:noclue::noclue:

Also Im not comparing there off years, Im just saying that sometimes players can have a bad season one year and then repsond the next season.

Edited by Devsrule

Friesen thrived off Nieuwendyk. He never really had a consistent 2nd line center with playmaking capabilities this past season - Rasmussen, awesome as he is, doesn't really fit the bill here, even though he's an underrated passer like Marshall. He saw some action with Rupp, but not with Langenbrunner on the other wing; like Rupp, I've wondered why that was never given another chance. He was centered by Brylin for a short while too, wasn't he? I can't even remember.

I think it's like Mission said. Friesen, to me, is a lot like Amonte now. He's a good player, and he has skills, but he doesn't make those around him better. He relies on the skills of his teammates to result in personal scoring opportunities, and he very rarely makes things happen on his own.

I think there's a definite confidence problem.

If he's kept around for this year, I believe that he'll have a solid season because he'll see that the Devils are putting faith in him to rebound. Then again, didn't he enter this past season thinking he could score 30 goals? Or was that Langs? I can't remember.

Oh, and I really doubt Anaheim would ever take back Friesen.

Edited by insanity_gallops

I realize Ana has no interest in getting him back ( another reason why NJ should dump him).

If Freeze was such a hard worker wouldn;t he be more of a defensive pressence??? If the guy is not scoring you donot even know he's on the ice...

We donot need 1 dimensional players and thats what freeze is...

Guest Devsrule

redrum enough with this "friesen doest work hard" stuff. Do you watch how hard he skates during games? It just doesnt appear like he is working hard because he is not putting up the numbers. The puck just didnt bounce his way this season.

Now if you are going to pick on Friesen for not scoring, why not Langenbrunner and Madden??