2014 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

Or the Patriots who absolutely embarrassed Detroit, or the number of other teams that managed to beat them fairly easily even though they also had the best WR in football.

Not a hater, just numb from mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the point you don't seem to understand we just signed a generational defensive talent. I'm numb from mediocrity too... But I call 'em as I see 'em.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the point you don't seem to understand we just signed a generational defensive talent. I'm numb from mediocrity too... But I call 'em as I see 'em.

He is not generational. Lawrence Taylor and Revis in their primes are as they almost single handedly as anyone in defense can made their teams playoff teams if not elite. Suh led defenses have made the playoffs twice, and it's tough to even say it wouldn't have happened if he weren't there.

Again, he's a very good player and makes the defense better. I just don't know whether it was worth the price tag.

He is not generational. Lawrence Taylor and Revis in their primes are as they almost single handedly as anyone in defense can made their teams playoff teams if not elite. Suh led defenses have made the playoffs twice, and it's tough to even say it wouldn't have happened if he weren't there.

Again, he's a very good player and makes the defense better. I just don't know whether it was worth the price tag.

Okay, he's not generational. I stopped reading after that. Go ask people who are paid to evaluate talent what they think. You're off the reservation.

Okay, he's not generational. I stopped reading after that. Go ask people who are paid to evaluate talent what they think. You're off the reservation.

So assuming no major injuries, would you admit the signing wasn't worth it, if the Dolphins do not make the playoffs this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So assuming no major injuries, would you admit the signing wasn't worth it, if the Dolphins do not make the playoffs this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Suh does what he's supposed to do and they still don't make the playoffs, I'm not killing Suh's contract... I'm killing the dopey head coach and very likely the QB. If Suh underachieves to his standards and we don't make it, then obviously it wasn't worth it.

Even with Suh, this is not the Seahawks defense, and we're looking at 8-8 again, which is about in line with what the Lions were on average when he was playing there.

The largest contract given to a defensive player in NFL history. A big-name, big-headline(s) Probowler.. who's been fined $500,000.00 for 7 player safety violations, over the last 4 seasons.

..yup, Mike Tannenbaum has officially arrived! B )

Edited by Beezer34

The largest contract given to a defensive player in NFL history. A big-name, big-headline(s) Probowler.. who's been fined $500,000.00 for 7 player safety violations, over the last 4 seasons.

And if the Jets had done this, you're probably displaying a great big Suh graphic in your sig and talking about how this move signals the beginning of the new, improved, we're-going-for-it Jets. 

In all seriousness though, I think this is going to be one of those moves that works out really well or blows up in a big way (read multiple suspensions/infractions/distractions).  No in-between.  Sometimes guys like Suh see the light and grow up, which is clearly the hope in Miami.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Stop it. You'd be popping champagne if the Jets signed this guy and you know it. Don't even try and deny that.

And if the Jets had done this, you're probably displaying a great big Suh graphic in your sig and talking about how this move signals the beginning of the new, improved, we're-going-for-it Jets.  

I sure would. I might even go out and buy his jersey, like thousands of other fans surely will. I know I would.. because I did! I did it for the first 3 seasons Mike T was here, for every big-name superstar player the Jets signed. It was wonderful winning the offseason, year after year after year. 3 years later however when we were in cap hell as a result not so much.

In all seriousness though, I think this is going to be one of those moves that works out really well or blows up in a big way (read multiple suspensions/infractions/distractions). No in-between. Sometimes guys like Suh see the light and grow up, which is clearly the hope in Miami.

I agree with you in that there will likely be no in between. And with our history, it'll likely end up a disaster, like pretty much everything the Dolphins try... But I have no problem going for it with a guy like this. He's a HOF-level talent. Say what you want about Ross (and I say plenty), I give him props for being willing to spend the money. If any other team signed Suh, there would be no shortage of falatio going around the league about what a great signing it is, how big an impact Suh would have on his new team, blah blah blah... The Dolphins sign him and all of the sudden the narrative changes. Ok. Fine. We'll see what happens. But it's high time for us to give everyone a nice big sh!tburger to eat for once...

I agree with you in that there will likely be no in between. And with our history, it'll likely end up a disaster, like pretty much everything the Dolphins try... But I have no problem going for it with a guy like this. He's a HOF-level talent. Say what you want about Ross (and I say plenty), I give him props for being willing to spend the money. If any other team signed Suh, there would be no shortage of falatio going around the league about what a great signing it is, how big an impact Suh would have on his new team, blah blah blah... The Dolphins sign him and all of the sudden the narrative changes. Ok. Fine. We'll see what happens. But it's high time for us to give everyone a nice big sh!tburger to eat for once...

If the Pats had signed him, you would have heard a lot about that for sure.

Trying to evaluate this move is a bit like trying to evaluate a team's draft before any of its new players even step onto the field...I always thought those draft "report cards" were a bit of a joke.  This is the kind of move that team that is getting sick of spinning its wheels and being stuck in neutral makes to try to jump up to the next level.  In the Dolphins' case, I can understand it.  Last year's Week 1 win against the Pats was huge...as you know, I was there and it really gave that fanbase a lot of hope.  Those fans really thought that was the beginning of something, and I can understand why. 

I think everyone in Miami is getting flustered...no playoffs in 12 out of 13 seasons, despite not being truly dreadful in most of those years.  Since their last playoff appearance, they've been either 7-9 or 8-8 in five out of six seasons.  Sometimes you reach the point where you feel like you've gotta give your team a real jolt.  Yeah, Suh is risky and not a sure thing just because of who he is, but I can fully understand why the Dolphins are rolling the dice here.   

This signing is the definition of risk\reward.. but for 60 million guaranteed on a ticking time-bomb, I think it's a bit much.

I'm fully aware of how dominant Suh can be. Suh can single-handedly change the outcome of games. He can take those 3 point games you lose 17-14, and turn then into wins.. no question about it. However.. he's also 1 stunt away from being thrown out of the league, and (after making it out of the whole Incognito\Martin\Pouncey\Jerry circus) why would you roll the dice on that if you're Miami?

I could understand if everything was already in place over there in Florida. (staff, QB, HC, etc) But go ask a Dolphins fan who the Head Coach of the fish will be in 2016, or the quarterback for that matter. How genuinely "close" to being a dominant team is Miami? Honestly?

Since their last playoff appearance, they've been either 7-9 or 8-8 in five out of six seasons. 

This is the Dolphins problem in a nutshell. They've got 1 winning season since 2006.. but have never really been terrible enough to tank and get high draft picks to truly build a foundation for the future.

This is the Dolphins problem in a nutshell. They've got 1 winning season since 2006.. but have never really been terrible enough to tank and get high draft picks to truly build a foundation for the future.

Which is partially why the Dolphins are in this "Let's swing for the fences from our heels" situation.  Either you decide that you're stuck in .500-land and take a step back to possibly (but not definitely) take two forward, or you say "fvck it, might as well go for it, a talent like Suh only adds to the talent we already have."  Tannehill is about to enter his prime years and has shown improvement each year (from the pure season numbers eye-test standpoint, anyway).  No one wants another 8-8, hey there's reason to hope for next year down there.  I guess the bigger question if not Suh...then who (both singular and plural)?     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The bigger problem has been not drafting well with the picks we've had. Jeff Ireland really was awful. Dennis Hickey's draft last year has already been better than anything that stooge Ireland put together. But bad drafting is nothing new for us. Shula couldn't draft worth a damn either. I don't even need to get into Wannschmuck/Speilman... Edited by MadDog2020

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12448761/nfl-warns-all-32-teams-contract-leaks

"The NFL has sent a letter to all 32 teams stating its displeasure with the release of contract terms before free agency begins Tuesday. The memo makes clear that the league will look into any violation(s) of the rules, and that violations will be dealt with accordingly. The NFL sent it's memo after news leaked of several agreements between high-profile free agents and teams, including Ndamukong Suh with the Dolphins and Jeremy Maclin with the Chiefs. Teams can negotiate based on an agent's response, but are not permitted to describe their pitches as offers. Teams also are not permitted to agree to contracts with players on other teams during this negotiating period."

..serious question: If the Dolphins end up getting fined here with big-money and\or picks, can Miami appeal based off confusing language and terminology of this negotiating period?

Edited by Beezer34

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12448761/nfl-warns-all-32-teams-contract-leaks

"The NFL has sent a letter to all 32 teams stating its displeasure with the release of contract terms before free agency begins Tuesday. The memo makes clear that the league will look into any violation(s) of the rules, and that violations will be dealt with accordingly. The NFL sent it's memo after news leaked of several agreements between high-profile free agents and teams, including Ndamukong Suh with the Dolphins and Jeremy Maclin with the Chiefs. Teams can negotiate based on an agent's response, but are not permitted to describe their pitches as offers. Teams also are not permitted to agree to contracts with players on other teams during this negotiating period."

..serious question: If the Dolphins end up getting fined here with big-money and\or picks, can Miami appeal based off confusing language and terminology of this negotiating period?

They'd likely be appealing to the guy that metes out the punishment. 

The Dolphins interest in Suh was publicized for days, if the rumors started before the interview period then I could legit see them get in hot water.

Gregg Rosenthal is basically saying the same thing on NFL network. The league is unhappy that players are already agreeing to contract details and terms, and that these terms are being leaked to the public. I mean.. I've known as early as Saturday night that Suh agreed with Miami, for 6 years.. $114 million dollars, with 60 of it guaranteed.. paying him about $19 million per season. I even know the cap hit! Both parties agreed upon this as though it were a foregone conclusion three full days before the official start of free agency. If that's not tampering, I don't know what is.

As expected Dolphins are hosting Jordan Cameron.  If Cameron stays healthy, and Tannehill is the QB the fanboys think he is, this could be something of a steal.  He was Pro Bowl level on a craptacular Browns offense a couple of years ago. 

I like Clay, but not at what Buffalo would give him.