GDT: LA Kings @ Devils 7pm

ghdi

I think Toronto is tanking. There is no question in my mind. Sure they were struggling under Carlyle, and they almost certainly wouldn't have ended up in the playoffs with him still there but they would have been at least okay. They went on one big losing streak and Toronto seized the opportunity and fired him. The team proceeded into an epic collapse going like 2-17-2 or something like that. Toronto could not have expected things would get better by firing Carlyle; and at that point they still had the chance to replace him with someone good and turn things around somewhat. They figured "let's just lose." I don't think it was a preconceived plan prior to the season or anything, it's just an opportunity that came about. 

I agree, the players might not be individually tanking.. but there was a designed tanking culture installed there (fricken shanny)

we need to pass columbus and keep philly ahead, those are the two goals for the remainder

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, although I think Leafs management is not actively looking to win games either, but this is not what they were expecting.  The coach definitely is not tanking (Poor Peter Horachek's career as a head coach is pretty much done after this stint). The Leafs will get a great pick, but a few of their tradeable assets are losing a good amount of value during this landslide. 

Yup, although I think Leafs management is not actively looking to win games either, but this is not what they were expecting.  The coach definitely is not tanking (Poor Peter Horachek's career as a head coach is pretty much done after this stint). The Leafs will get a great pick, but a few of their tradeable assets are losing a good amount of value during this landslide. 

The coach is almost certainly not tanking. However, the bolded, is basically tanking anyway. If you don't look to win games in the NHL, you are going to lose games. 

The Leafs fired their head coach after one losing streak and let the season drop out from under them. They were rumored to be looking to blow up the team shortly after that. That's called "how fast can we sink this ship?"

Edited by Neb00rs

The coach is almost certainly not tanking. However, the bolded, is basically tanking anyway. If you don't look to win games in the NHL, you are going to lose games. 

The Leafs fired their head coach after one losing streak and let the season drop out from under them. They were rumored to be looking to blow up the team shortly after that. That's called "how fast can we sink this ship?"

The Leafs did not trade any of their star players, though they did deal a top 4 defenseman.  Their coach was terrible.  The best players just checked out - they're all on long-term deals and so they can do that.  Kessel looks to be hurt, Lupul is playing through something, and the defense is a shambles (and always was).

The Leafs did not trade any of their star players, though they did deal a top 4 defenseman.  Their coach was terrible.  The best players just checked out - they're all on long-term deals and so they can do that.  Kessel looks to be hurt, Lupul is playing through something, and the defense is a shambles (and always was).

True, but it certainly seems like they were looking to. In the end they couldn't get back as much as they were hoping for in return, specifically for Phaneuf. And as you pointed out they traded Franson and Santorelli. Though, I don't think that there is an on-ice tanking going on, I certainly still can't understand giving Reimer 30 starts.

It comes down to this for me: do you really think that the Leafs expected things to improve after firing Carlyle, especially given who they replaced him with?

True, but it certainly seems like they were looking to. In the end they couldn't get back as much as they were hoping for in return, specifically for Phaneuf. And as you pointed out they traded Franson and Santorelli. Though, I don't think that there is an on-ice tanking going on, I certainly still can't understand giving Reimer 30 starts.

It comes down to this for me: do you really think that the Leafs expected things to improve after firing Carlyle, especially given who they replaced him with?

Yes, I do.  Horacheck isn't a bad coach, and the Leafs' Corsi has improved a reasonable amount, but their goal scoring has plummeted.  And James Reimer has 22 starts.  They're not tanking.