2018 JETS

Beezer34

Mangold cut as the continued effort to clear cap space continues. I do hope the bring him back at a reduced salary...but he will generate interest no doubt.

Will have his # 74 retired one day as a Jet. Will be in the ring of honor. I think he was Hall of Fame caliber. Don't think he'll make it though. Hall isn't too friendly to Jets (have no clue how Klecko isn't in despite everybody playing against him saying he was a HOFer)

23 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Jets made it official. The Revis era is over.

About 40 million dollars worth of cap space to play with now. All eyes on Mac.

It had to happen, after the recent incident, but they'd overlook it if he was still a net positive...which he's not. Until of course he signs with a rival next season and is suddenly incredible again.

Brandon Marshall is probably next. Even without him we have Decker (though coming off 2 surgeries) Enunwa, Robby Anderson, a worthwhile project in Sefarian-Jenkins, and Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall (and Devin Smith) 

I would be shocked if Sheldon Richardson isn't traded. I think we can nab another 2nd rounder for him. That would give us two seconds and two thirds. With that you can take two offensive tackles, a safety, and a corner.

I would really like Fournette in round 1.

Edited by '7'

Sounds like Mike Glennon is the Jets main target. I think they've been hot on him for a while and their names are always mentioned with him (going back to the 2013 draft) Supposedly they also inquired about trading for him last off-season but didn't want to give up the 1st.

Reports are Glennon will go to the Jets and Bears.

6 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

Glennon's last on my list.. so.. yeah, the Jets'll probably get him. -_-

Curious what about Glennon worries you? Sample size is pretty small, but he's done some good things. I wouldn't be elated with him, but I think I would be ok with it. His upside is pretty good if he puts it all together.

Jets release Marshall...so more cap space is cleared. But Bowles stated we're not rebuilding. So I really have no idea what that means or what is in store.

Supposedly they actually wanted Marshall back but asked him what he'd prefer and he sees the writing on the wall with the younger receivers and everyone else getting cut and wanted to move on too.

I would actually rather prefer a true rebuild and not just bringing in a bunch of short-term vets AGAIN.  That doesn't work unless you have Parcells here.

Edited by NJDevs4978

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Supposedly they actually wanted Marshall back but asked him what he'd prefer and he sees the writing on the wall with the younger receivers and everyone else getting cut and wanted to move on too.

I would actually rather prefer a true rebuild and not just bringing in a bunch of short-term vets AGAIN.  That doesn't work unless you have Parcells here.

That would be the smart thing to do. And it seems like it's full speed ahead with that plan...that's why Bowles comments are so strange. 

True old school NFL rebuilds as they used to be don't really exist anymore, when you would just tear things down and go from 2-14 to 5-11 to 8-8 to hopefully a sustained period of winning. Nowadays it's pretty much you get two years max to get a team out of the muck. 

Heck you see plenty of middling to 1st place 1 year turnarounds...but the only way to have sustained winning in this league is with a Quarterback. There is no other way, and the NFL is not going to level the playing field to where you have the Jim McMahons, Mark Rypiens and Jeff Hostetlers winning Super Bowls again. If you have a great QB it is almost hard to lose. If you have a very good QB, you'll probably be competitive most years. If you have an average to below average QB situation then you have to work miracles to contend.

In fairness, Denver won just 13 months ago with a shell-of-himself, in-name-only Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler.  And there's definitely a number of good (or even better) QB teams who haven't been winning that much lately...Ravens (Flacco), Saints (Brees), Chargers (Rivers), Giants (Eli Manning).  I know there's four rings among that group, but in the last three seasons, those teams have combined for 2 playoff appearances and just one playoff win...to go with 9 losing seasons.  Even the good and great QBs aren't really guarantees, even with the league clearly slanted towards helping all QBs succeed.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fair point. I guess though the NFL is a league where there is still some exclusivity when it comes to making the playoffs...12 teams out of 32, that sometimes some really great QB's will be left standing on the sidelines. 

fwiw the Saints got a ring out of Brees but have wasted so much of him in the past few years. You have a QB like that for 11 years and you should have something better to show for it than 1 Super Bowl.

Rivers is another one who should've bailed on SD. He may never play in a Super Bowl.

Edited by '7'

4 hours ago, '7' said:

fwiw the Saints got a ring out of Brees but have wasted so much of him in the past few years. You have a QB like that for 11 years and you should have something better to show for it than 1 Super Bowl.

I'd hardly call it a "waste" when Brees has been sucking up 30% of their cap with unfriendly deals and the Jimmy Graham disaster screwed up their cap to this day and beyond....honestly the Saints should be thinking "we can suck this bad without you as we are WITH you now" and just cut bait

18 hours ago, '7' said:

That would be the smart thing to do. And it seems like it's full speed ahead with that plan...that's why Bowles comments are so strange. 

What worries me is it's not quite full speed ahead with that plan if they did offer Marshall an extension the way it was claimed they did.  Granted it could have been some cheap extension that was just for show but why even go down that road if you're rebuilding and when you have Decker, Enunwa and Robby Anderson as well as the 2nd round bust from Ohio State I'm sure they'll eventually want to get on the field.

If anything now's the perfect time TO rebuild...you're just beating your head against a wall with the Pats the next couple years, what's the point of cutting a bunch of old guys to spend money on slightly less old guys in the hope of MAYBE getting the second wild card?  Now's the time to rebuild it right, they have nothing really in terms of a foundation other than the WR's, maybe Powell (who they never trust enough to be the full-time back for 16 games) and a d-line that plays when it wants to.

And if you aren't going to rebuild then what again was the point in keeping Bowles?  Ironically I'd understand keeping him more if he was a sacrificial lamb riding out his contract this year in an obvious no-hoper situation than I would if you're trying to piecemeal together another (cough) win-now team.

And sure enough...oh great, reallocating resources is code for another 2015 offseason :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 3/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

What worries me is it's not quite full speed ahead with that plan if they did offer Marshall an extension the way it was claimed they did.  Granted it could have been some cheap extension that was just for show but why even go down that road if you're rebuilding and when you have Decker, Enunwa and Robby Anderson as well as the 2nd round bust from Ohio State I'm sure they'll eventually want to get on the field.

If anything now's the perfect time TO rebuild...you're just beating your head against a wall with the Pats the next couple years, what's the point of cutting a bunch of old guys to spend money on slightly less old guys in the hope of MAYBE getting the second wild card?  Now's the time to rebuild it right, they have nothing really in terms of a foundation other than the WR's, maybe Powell (who they never trust enough to be the full-time back for 16 games) and a d-line that plays when it wants to.

And if you aren't going to rebuild then what again was the point in keeping Bowles?  Ironically I'd understand keeping him more if he was a sacrificial lamb riding out his contract this year in an obvious no-hoper situation than I would if you're trying to piecemeal together another (cough) win-now team.

And sure enough...oh great, reallocating resources is code for another 2015 offseason :P

I wouldn't have kept Bowles in either scenario as to me, he's proven that he just can't handle the rigors of running a football team (even in 2015 he underwhelmed as coach of a 10-6 team. Two inexcusable losses to Buffalo and a puzzling loss to the Eagles at home.

I've heard the Jets may cut Decker as well once he can pass a physical, which I don't necessarily agree with since if you bring in somebody like Glennon, you have to at least have some weapons around him (and invest in the O-Line) to help him do his job. He is the top QB on the market that we have a real shot at...going to be tough to entice him when he's going to be facing a 2-14 season while being brutalized.

What's interesting is that the Steelers are also in on Glennon, which is encouraging to me because of the great job they do with player personnel. They know talent. If they want him, I want him too.

Edited by '7'

Jets look to be out on Glennon (as are the 49ers). Price tag too high and DeShaun Watson ended up having a terrific combine.

No clue what they'll do at QB in 2017. Maybe Taylor of Buffalo jettisons him. 

If Watson had a great combine it's irrelevant to us cause then someone's gonna trade up into the top five to get him anyway :P 

It was the same thing with Mariota a couple years ago, people thought he might fall to us but as the draft gets closer the QB valuation always goes up to the top picks.

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If Watson had a great combine it's irrelevant to us cause then someone's gonna trade up into the top five to get him anyway :P 

It was the same thing with Mariota a couple years ago, people thought he might fall to us but as the draft gets closer the QB valuation always goes up to the top picks.

Likely yes. I'm still not sold on Watson though. And the Jets only seem to make the big move to jump up for sacks of crap like Sanchez. And when guys fall to them (like Cooks and Clinton-Dix in 2014) they draft nobodies like Pryor.

Mariota was more highly regarded than Watson, but he wasn't without his share of criticism either. Mariota hasn't set the league on fire either but he's still very young (only 23 with 2 years under his belt)

I wonder if the Jets are really still hot on Trubisky. There were a lot of reports they were earlier and then it was squelched. I wonder if they're still in on him and trying to be quiet about it.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And of course he gets to keep his Inside The NFL gig, how convenient 

True. He is definitely angling for that CBS or ESPN desk job once he retires. Curious though I wonder how much heat the Giants get for signing who's been known to be problematic when they already have an extremely problematic (though extremely talented) WR already.

Jets are supposedly in on Hoyer (as is San Fran though I heard they wanted to trade for Cousins)

Hoyer makes the most sense as of this moment. Really he's just a younger Fitz 2.0 bridge QB, and probably a smidgen better than Fitz (Hoyer is less mistake prone, even though that playoff disaster is still on everybody's mind)

Actually his last 14 regular season starts over the past 2 seasons are a lot better than I thought.

358/569 62.9% 4,051yds 25 td 7 int

Was a hard luck 1-4 with Chicago last year...didn't throw a single INT before breaking his arm and completed 67% of his passes.

Edited by '7'

Well Cutler would be leftovers. And in a tank season, I suppose it wouldn't be so awful having him come in and "lead" us to 2-14. Not like he'd be the starter in 2018 or anything.

And he needs surgery on his throwing arm which will likely diminish his one positive characteristic, arm strength.