2018 JETS

Beezer34

13 hours ago, '7' said:

Yea I remember hearing about that scintillating 4 score. He's since admitted to just basically blowing the test off and barely "taking" it

Deion Sanders tells a similar story. Basically the Giants met with him and gave him some big thick test book...and he asked where what pick they had...they answered 18th. Sanders just got up and left. "Nah I'll be gone by then"

:lol:  I could definitely picture Deion doing that.

• Like 1

The Jets met with Josh McCown today as a potential 2017 caretaker. If they do end up signing him I hope that means all of the meh QB options in the upcoming draft are off the table. I just don't see us carrying 4 or cutting Petty or Hack this early.

McCown has been a hard luck 5-22 when it comes to his overall record as a starter over the past 4 season. But when you look at his total stats during that time period...

60.4 completion percentage, 42td's 25int's. He deserves better, but he's been battered around behind some terrible teams. This will probably be the case once again here. I think the Cowboys are also interested in paying him to not play. Which may be more enticing.

10 hours ago, '7' said:

The Jets met with Josh McCown today as a potential 2017 caretaker. If they do end up signing him I hope that means all of the meh QB options in the upcoming draft are off the table. I just don't see us carrying 4 or cutting Petty or Hack this early.

I can't see the Jets thought process on McCown being anything more than a backup to either Watson and\or Cutler. If they're serious here about McCown being the starter for 2017. Genuinely serious.. about a 38 year guy, with 18 wins over his last 60 starts.. heading to his 10th different team in a 12 year span --- then you can count me out for this upcoming season. Sorry. As I've said before.. the days of me giving up my Sunday afternoon's to have my intelligence insulted, are officially OVER. Why not just keep Fitzpatrick, if you're telling your fanbase that this is the "bridge" solution to the next guy? If they're really REALLY serious about this, they better prepare for an empty stadium. Absolutely pathetic.

Edited by Beezer34

McCown actually took the starting job from Cutler a couple years ago in Chicago though (or should have, he was playing a lot better than him on the same team) :P  It's not like Cutler's some great great starter either just because he's more of a name.

Edited by NJDevs4978

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

McCown actually took the starting job from Cutler a couple years ago in Chicago though (or should have, he was playing a lot better than him on the same team) :P  It's not like Cutler's some great great starter either just because he's more of a name.

Or more like because where he was drafted, and that he hasn't been a complete bust since then.  

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

i strongly disagree. cutler is gifted with excellent talent. chicago ruined him

3 hours ago, SS#4-Life said:

i strongly disagree. cutler is gifted with excellent talent. chicago ruined him

Cutler's been around great offensive talent (Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, Olsen, Bennett) his whole career and never really put it together.

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

I can't see the Jets thought process on McCown being anything more than a backup to either Watson and\or Cutler. If they're serious here about McCown being the starter for 2017. Genuinely serious.. about a 38 year guy, with 18 wins over his last 60 starts.. heading to his 10th different team in a 12 year span --- then you can count me out for this upcoming season. Sorry. As I've said before.. the days of me giving up my Sunday afternoon's to have my intelligence insulted, are officially OVER. Why not just keep Fitzpatrick, if you're telling your fanbase that this is the "bridge" solution to the next guy? If they're really REALLY serious about this, they better prepare for an empty stadium. Absolutely pathetic.

I'm not totally anti-Cutler. I don't think he's terrible, probably more misunderstood than a pure jerk. I also think there is something to getting him on the downswing...meaning he knows this may be his last chance to be an anything. He WAS quite good in 2015 (only 11ints. 64.4% completion percentage) we caught some lightning in a bottle with Vinny, the Raiders did with Gannon as a late bloomer, Vikings with Cunningham, Bills with Flutie. Sometimes these wild-ish QB's calm down and play smarter and put in some solid season in their mid to late 30s. It's not a foregone conclusion that Cutler would stink here. But the ridicule the Jets would get...I mean it would be a volcano of criticism. Sometimes you just have to weather it.

13 hours ago, SS#4-Life said:

chicago ruined him

Denver did a pretty good job too. Let's assume Cutler does sign with the Jets. His offensive coordinator's since 2008 would be as followed... Rick Dennison, Ron Turner, Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Marc Trestman, Aaron Kromer, Adam Gase, Dowell Loggains, John Morton.

9 offensive coordinator's, in 9 years! Don't even need to put Morton up there either, because whatever team he signs with.. that'll be his 9th different OC over the past 9 years. How he's still in the league at all without sounding like rain man is beyond me.

7 hours ago, '7' said:

We caught some lightning in a bottle with Vinny, the Raiders did with Gannon as a late bloomer, Vikings with Cunningham, Bills with Flutie. Sometimes these wild-ish QB's calm down and play smarter and put in some solid season in their mid to late 30s. It's not a foregone conclusion that Cutler would stink here. But the ridicule the Jets would get...I mean it would be a volcano of criticism. Sometimes you just have to weather it.

And THAT's what separates a weak GM from a strong GM. That's where Maccagnan will be tested.

If he stays away from Cutler because it will be teased by the talking heads.. then being a General Manager is not for him.

28 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not a fan of Chase Daniel but beggars can't be choosers since we can't even get the McCowns of the world to sign here.

He's very much an unknown, played very sparingly. But he's been sitting around waiting to start for a while and seems to have some fire to him. 

It also wouldn't shock me if someone like Bryce Petty ends up beating Daniel out in camp if we sign him.

I almost wonder if the end game here isn't Cutler. And all this hoopla of "QB visits" leaked to the media, is just posturing by the Jets.. in an effort to get Cutler at the absolute lowest price possible.

The fact they only signed Claiborne to a cheap one-year deal tells me the purse strings are on this offseason.  And is probably why nobody else of consequence is coming here.  I would have actually liked Claiborne on a 3-4 year deal with his age/talent level but I guess he figures he can cash in more IF he stays healthy this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I feel very blah about this blah signing. Has you were right earlier...might as well just keep Fitz. He is 3 years younger than McCown.

And just like with Daniel, I would love to see that Petty, Hack, or both took a step forward and can actually beat McCown out this offseason. It shouldnt be that hard to surpass a brittle 38 year old stopgap.

Curious what this means for the 2017 draft. Is QB off the table? Doubt they would cut Hack or Petty at this point. Maybe Petty but I think they are probably compelled to give him 1 more year.

Edited by '7'

25 minutes ago, '7' said:

I feel very blah about this blah signing. Has you were right earlier...might as well just keep Fitz. He is 3 years younger than McCown.

And just like with Daniel, I would love to see that Petty, Hack, or both took a step forward and can actually beat McCown out this offseason. It shouldnt be that hard to surpass a brittle 38 year old stopgap.

Curious what this means for the 2017 draft. Is QB off the table? Doubt they would cut Hack or Petty at this point. Maybe Petty but I think they are probably compelled to give him 1 more year.

Could they not put Hackenberg on the practice squad if someone like Watson is available in the second round?

14 hours ago, '7' said:

Eh Fitz burned the bridge with the organization last year with a blowtorch. McCown might be better than him anyway (2015 notwithstanding) for what that's worth. If it wasn't obvious before this week it is now, the Jets are in full rebuilding mode. Which I'm actually fine with considering the state of the team, the fact Pats are the only true NFL behemoth and the Fish are at least a borderline playoff team - except for the fact I'm not convinced MM should be in charge of the rebuild (his drafts have still been extremely questionable). Or Bowles for that matter.

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

Could they not put Hackenberg on the practice squad if someone like Watson is available in the second round?

They didn't last year and you don't really put second rounders on the practice squad anyway, especially considering O'Brien would probably claim him.

50 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh Fitz burned the bridge with the organization last year with a blowtorch. McCown might be better than him anyway (2015 notwithstanding) for what that's worth. If it wasn't obvious before this week it is now, the Jets are in full rebuilding mode. Which I'm actually fine with considering the state of the team, the fact Pats are the only true NFL behemoth and the Fish are at least a borderline playoff team - except for the fact I'm not convinced MM should be in charge of the rebuild (his drafts have still been extremely questionable). Or Bowles for that matter.

True. For a Harvard guy he certainly doesn't act like most times. I mean can't blame the guy for squeezing every last dollar out of his dwindling career, but his post Ravens game quotes rubbed people the long way.

I have a sneaky suspicion the Jets either think John Morton is the coach of the future, or they're going to go heavy in for a big coach this coming offseason. This is going to be a take your lumps type of year...might as well Bowles be the guy to take punches and somebody new can take the helm of a team on the rise in 2018.

The 2014 draft is the one that is still haunting us. Calvin Pryor over Cooks or Clinton-Dix. Jace Amaro. McDougle when Gabe Jackson went right after. 2015 and 2016 is still to early to tear apart. Maybe we got unlucky with Devin Smith being hurt all the time. Leonard Williams has been great...but D. Smith has to contribute something next year. The fact that we picked up Quinton Patton doesn't show the organization has much faith in Smith.

57 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They didn't last year and you don't really put second rounders on the practice squad anyway, especially considering O'Brien would probably claim him.

Interesting though...he had a chance to draft him but never did (not that we ever got deep into the '16 draft with Hack, he passed on Hack twice...but really only once since nobody in their right mind was drafting Hack in round 1). I am praying O'Brien and Houston continue with their falling out and ends up here.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:57 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

FWIW Revis got exonerated legally, which I could care less about cause I don't want him back anyway after he was jaking it last year.

Meanwhile Austin Seferian-Jenkins wasn't so lucky, getting suspended the first two games next year.  What a waste of talent.

Well, when we took him on he had already had the incident so I think they knew a suspension was brewing. I still hope he can turn things around and have a good career because his talent level is quite high. Didn't do much last year, but you rarely see guys who switch teams mid season be productive...plus he had nobody to throw the ball to him.

fwiw I see the Jets taking OJ Howard in some mock drafts now. I could go for that, especially if Sefarian-Jenkins gets his sh!t together. Howard is being talked about in the same breath as Jimmy Graham.

34 minutes ago, '7' said:

Well, when we took him on he had already had the incident so I think they knew a suspension was brewing. I still hope he can turn things around and have a good career because his talent level is quite high. Didn't do much last year, but you rarely see guys who switch teams mid season be productive...plus he had nobody to throw the ball to him.

fwiw I see the Jets taking OJ Howard in some mock drafts now. I could go for that, especially if Sefarian-Jenkins gets his sh!t together. Howard is being talked about in the same breath as Jimmy Graham.

I'd be curious to find out how many TEs drafted in the first two rounds in say the past five years have turned out to be any good.  Ever since Gronk and Graham, every other team has been trying to do the same thing with what seems to be very little success.  The only one that comes to mind who has succeeded is Eiffert, and he's only been pretty good and probably owes a lot of his success to being on the field with AJ Green.

Seems a lot like NHL teams drafting big guys who didn't put up a lot of points in junior in hope of finding that elusive next Milan Lucic.