New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

We'll be lucky to get one. They're getting swept and the season will officially end after Sunday. 

They'll salvage one game.  But so far this game is going EXACTLY as I thought it would...one team ready to take charge, and the other playing like the batch of easily overwhelmed losers that they are.  A more invested GM would've purged some of these guys, but nope, never any urgency here.  Ever.  Thanks again for nothing Sandy.  

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Lagares with a fractured thumb lol

Unreal. This has absolutely never happened to any other team ever. I have never seen something like this. It's a real curse.

I feel bad for the players. Down there probably worrying will I be struck down next? What will happen to me? I mean just in the past few days. 

Walker, Lagares, Harvey, Cabrera, Conforto. Cespedes with his heel. And look at the blessed Nats rolling along. Neither Harper nor Murph nor Babe Zimmerman will have any significant injury this year you can bank on that.

Edited by '7'

Didn't exactly take long after winning 6 of 7 for the last day's events to kill off whatever hope I had for this season again.

This weekend could get UGLY with Scherzer and Strausberg the next two nights.  And oh look suddenly Kershaw's pitching against us next week, no doubt looking forward to having like 7-8 runs to work with.

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Didn't exactly take long after winning 6 of 7 for the last day's events to kill off whatever hope I had for this season again.

This weekend could get UGLY with Scherzer and Strausberg the next two nights.  And oh look suddenly Kershaw's pitching against us next week, no doubt looking forward to having like 7-8 runs to work with.

I have such an awful feeling. I really think they can lose the next 7. They looked shell-shocked and just beaten down tonight. The injuries annoy me...but I also feel for the team. I mean how much of this can they or any team endure in terms of injuries and chaos heaped upon them. 

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Lagares with a fractured thumb lol

So an injury-prone player gets injured...who would've guessed? 

Now that the season is finally, truly, and officially toast (there's just WAY too many guys out now, who won't back soon enough, if at all), and with Sandy basically admitting in GM speak that he's not going to pursue anything to try to fill any of the holes (big shock there), Mets might as well:

1) Bring up Rosario.  Even though his June overall hasn't been great, he's gone 9-for-29 in his last seven games, with 1 BB...and ZERO Ks.  Looks like he might not be chasing as much.  At any rate, with Cabrera being out, and Reyes' bat a complete lost cause and an absolute waste of time, just fvcking bring Rosario up and give him a solid 10-15 games to see what he does.  If he's still not ready, fine, send him back to Vegas...but would it be the end of the world to start playing him and Cecchini together at the major league level right now?  They could very well be the DP combo next season...they might as well get as much experience as they can, provided they're not both completely overwhelmed.  And once Cabrera returns, just fvcking release Reyes already.  Stop trying to make him happen...it's insulting to everyone's intelligence.

2) Give Pill some starts.  No, I wasn't terribly impressed with what I saw of him either, and he's a fringer at best...but he's not auditioning for a permanent rotation spot.  Fact of the matter is that Mets will forever have to dip into their AAA reserves when Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C annually goes to sh!t.  Can Pill come up and give you 5-7 passable starts (by that I mean 5-7 IP, 2-5 ER)?  I'm not asking him to be great or even that good...just don't be Tommy Milone or some other complete stiff that gives you no chance.  Pill will never get a better audition chance than right now...I say screw it, give him a look...if it's ugly, so be it...can't be that much uglier than Harvey's been since 2016. 

2A) Give Montero the rest of the season up here to see if he can get his act together.  I can't stand him and I think he's been giving plenty of chances not to suck...but there's nothing more we're going to learn about him in AAA.  Just like Pill, it took an endless amount of sh!t for a guy who's been a complete disaster to get yet another shot with the big club...but here we are.  Give Montero games.  If he's awful, fine...then unlike so many other times with this team, you can actually move on from him, knowing you truly gave him every last chance to show you something. 

3) Try as hard as possible to get Doofus dealt by the deadline.  He has the most meaningless .894 in-season OPS ever...yeah, on rare occasions he comes up with a surprising big hit and terrorizes weak BP arms with his occasional HR barrages, but I just can't take watching losers getting in the lineup day after day...move on from these clowns already...enough...in one of the most important games of the year for the Mets, he predictably came up puny everywhere...because that's what losers do.  Doesn't seem like Smith is ready yet...he's hitting .309 for the month (with 4 BB), but with only 3 2B and no 3B or HR, just four RBI and he's struck out 14 times...but even if he's never called up in 2016, you can get by with TJ Rivera and Flores post-deadline if need be.  Doofus' numbers and power might fool some GM who doesn't watch him every game into thinking that he could be a solid 1B/DH-type for a contender...good luck with that. 

Hopefully Sandy won't be in full-on Passive Uncreative mode when it's time to start selling...he has rentable assets that collectively should bring back something useful.  There are simply guys who have no business being here beyond 7/31 with the state of this team...Sandy needs to not lose them all at the end of the season for nothing.  Not much difference between winning 72 games or 82 games.  You clearly weren't all-in for 2017...so go all in for 2018 and beyond. 

I don't love Pill's stuff regarding his arsenal. It's true he doesn't have anything resembling a trusted out pitch but one thing I have noticed is that he is a battler and more of a thinking mans pitcher. I always think of guys like Rick Reed...not that Pill will be him but yea I agree throw him into the rotation and see what he does. He's an actual pitcher rather than just a thrower.

Ha. Tommy Milone. I literally totally forgot he was even on this team for any length of time this season. 

Ok with the Montero idea as well, though he is absolutely unwatchable (especially when getting knocked around and having no control) but right now we're at the bottom of the barrel and that's just where Montero is. Might as well use him.

Reyes needs to disappear yesterday. And you know he's not THAT old. But he came up very young(I think only 19), got banged up alot. It is shocking to see him fall so fast at 34, but perhaps we should view him more like a 37-38 year old with the wear and tear. 

40 minutes ago, '7' said:

I don't love Pill's stuff regarding his arsenal. It's true he doesn't have anything resembling a trusted out pitch but one thing I have noticed is that he is a battler and more of a thinking mans pitcher. I always think of guys like Rick Reed...not that Pill will be him but yea I agree throw him into the rotation and see what he does. He's an actual pitcher rather than just a thrower.

Ha. Tommy Milone. I literally totally forgot he was even on this team for any length of time this season. 

Ok with the Montero idea as well, though he is absolutely unwatchable (especially when getting knocked around and having no control) but right now we're at the bottom of the barrel and that's just where Montero is. Might as well use him.

Reyes needs to disappear yesterday. And you know he's not THAT old. But he came up very young(I think only 19), got banged up alot. It is shocking to see him fall so fast at 34, but perhaps we should view him more like a 37-38 year old with the wear and tear. 

Re:  Pill...the fact that he managed to even come back from being battered constantly in his first extended Vegas jaunt (check out his 2015 numbers there) says something about him.  He definitely doesn't have Reed's stuff, and probably won't have Reed's surprising success (of course he won't ever get the kind of chance Reed did here either), but all I need from Pill is to be able to come up when needed and not let games get completely away from his team by the second inning.  That's what happens with Milone-types...they kill games while you're still on line waiting for hot dogs.  A guy like Pill maybe plods his way through 5-6 innings and gives up 3-4 runs, with an occasional borderline gem...maybe his ERA is in the high 4.00-low 5.00 range, and your bullpen will have to work 3+ innings on most of his days, but at least he might give you a decent shot at winning 50-60% of his starts.  For an injury-filler call-up, I can live with that. 

Problem with Reyes-types is that a key element of his game has declined (speed), and unlike guys like Rickey Henderson who kept finding ways to make up for eroding skills, Reyes has shown zero ability to change his approach...he's Willie Mays Hayes...too jumpy and too many big overly hard swings that result in pop-ups and harmless fly balls.  Yeah, he's not that old, but he's also not that smart, and never was from a student-of-the-game standpoint.  He needs to am-scray, like now...like I've said, at the very least, let the fvcking team know that endless non-contributing is not going to be tolerated forever, for once.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

They don't even have to start Pill. Use him for Montero's innings/role and just roll with Jake-Matz-Gsellman-Lugo-Wheeler as the rotation, at least till one of them gets hurt which'll probably happen at some point next week at the rate it's going :P

Ironically it seems the Mets being out of the race is just making them MORE determined not to bring up Rosario till he's beyond ready.  It'd be one thing if they were three games out and rolling with the worst infield in baseball while wasting Rosario in AAA but when you're ten games out they've basically already waved the white flag anyway.

Of course watch us move nobody at the deadline cause Sandy would rather be obstinate than do a deal without super prospects.

Edited by NJDevs4978

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They don't even have to start Pill. Use him for Montero's innings/role and just roll with Jake-Matz-Gsellman-Lugo-Wheeler as the rotation, at least till one of them gets hurt which'll probably happen at some point next week at the rate it's going :P

Ironically it seems the Mets being out of the race is just making them MORE determined not to bring up Rosario till he's beyond ready.  It'd be one thing if they were three games out and rolling with the worst infield in baseball while wasting Rosario in AAA but when you're ten games out they've basically already waved the white flag anyway.

Of course watch us move nobody at the deadline cause Sandy would rather be obstinate than do a deal without super prospects.

re:  Pill, depends how long they go with a six-man.  Also keep in mind that Wheeler will be approaching his innings limit...basically, hard to believe that there won't be an extended opening for him at some point this season. 

Sandy's quotes are so hard to take sometimes...Reyes is NOT a good player anymore Sandy!  Stop shoving him down our throats.

I worry about the deadline too Has...and yeah, the Mets don't need can't-miss prospects for guys who have limitations AND won't be back in 2018.  Do the best you can...better than nothing at all.  I'm not into "ALL IN" for 82 wins and no playoffs.  The farm needs restocking, especially once Rosario and Smith graduate. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Crazy thing about Reyes is that even our most pessimistic projections of him wouldn't have him in the .180's. I was thinking at worst he'll be like a .230 guy who still has some wheels. An 80 something point drop is bizarre. Almost makes me want to think he's playing banged up and hiding something. He shouldn't be this done this fast. And what of those reports of him doing great and looking like he had young legs in spring training? Shows how much stock we should be putting in ST.

It annoys me how he still hasn't refined his approach at the plate. Reyes always got by on raw talent alone, there was never any cerebral aspects to his game. If the Mets have a pitcher on the ropes, bases loaded, 0 outs, he's thrown 9 straight out of the zone...and here comes Jose. You could just bet your soul he will be hacking at an eye high inside pitch to pop out on the infield.

Fwiw Mets announced Syndergaard won't even pick up a baseball for another 4 weeks. That brings us to mid July. Then he'd need rehab. August.

Syndergaard won't pitch again this year and the Mets are just drawing this thing out. No use to bring him back in August when we'll be 17 games out of both the WC and division.

Not even a semblance of a pulse.

I have no idea who to turn to to catch. Lucroy is going to be 32 and appears to be declining. But he is an option. Plawecki WAS considered a solid catching prospect at one point and now he's below worthless.

If we can trade d'Arnaud to the AL for some kind of reliever prospect I would jump at that opportunity. Rivera can stay around and we can bolster him with another Rivera type. But at least our pitchers can have somebody who they like throwing to all the time and can actually call a good game and have a feel for catching. 

Edited by '7'

This was such a typical kind of loss for this team, for a game of this importance, right down the line.  A "vaunted" starting pitcher being OK but not dominant.  The offense looking feeble, with the usual hitters being invisible (especially when it really matters).  The overall performance over these first two games couldn't have been any more predictable.  Hope Do-Nothing Sandy and the Wilpons enjoy the morgue that will be Citi for much of the remainder of this season.

re:  d'Arnaud...at this point, I'll take a meh-ish offensive catcher if he's solid to excellent in all other phases of the game (calling pitches, handling a staff, throwing out would-be base-stealers, etc).  I am so done with d'Arnaud...he doesn't do one damn thing well...and he has trouble staying healthy to boot...not to mention his bat has largely been disappointing for too much of his career.  

Terry really needs to go now...it should've happened much sooner, but either you want to start purging the losers from the organization, or you don't.  

On 6/16/2017 at 0:53 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I worry about the deadline too Has...and yeah, the Mets don't need can't-miss prospects for guys who have limitations AND won't be back in 2018.  Do the best you can...better than nothing at all.  I'm not into "ALL IN" for 82 wins and no playoffs.  The farm needs restocking, especially once Rosario and Smith graduate. 

The latest theory from one guy on NYFS is that the Mets'll hold onto Duda and Walker to get the QO/compensatory picks (now it's a third plus fifth rounder) or sign one-year deals.  Which also had the added benefit of being another excuse to do very little.  

Mets hopeful Wright can resume baseball activities by July 1st. Which will likely last all of 72 hrs before he shuts it down again for some reason.

Honestly I sometimes forget he's even still a player. I pretty much see him as a coach now.