New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

If you're a Giants fan though it's a heck of a lot easier to sit through this with their past success. Plus they know they have the manager and GM to see them through. 

It may have been a last ditch wake the f up call to the team...but it just won't work. It can't work. The personnel isn't there to make it work in the bullpen or the starting staff. The type of run this team needs to go on now to even be in a stand pat position at the deadline is so far above their abilities it will take an incredible amount of playing over their head and luck. And they just won't get that. I think they have enough fire and pride to prevent this from getting to 2009 dumpster fire levels but, they won't sniff contention the rest of the way. 

The Mets pretty much have to sweep the Marlins and the Phillies now and go into the next Nats series on a 9 game winning streak. And even if they do that for all we know they may still be 7 or 8 out entering that series.

100% true, Bruce Bochy and Brian Sabean have a much more impressive track record than the Village Idiot and Passive Uncreative could ever hope to have. 

Yeah, I'll be stunned if the Mets so much as sniff .500 the rest the season, let alone contend...if they actually sweep their next two series, then maybe I'll start to pay more attention, but right now it's just not a priority of mine to watch this team night in and night out (I'll still tune in, but it's not imperative viewing, that's for sure...can't say that my wife is terribly upset that).  For the Mets, it's back to That 70s Show again this year...soon to be seven years out of nine with 70-79 wins.  Awesome. 

Go 11-2 in their next 13 games up to the break (14-2 in their last 16), and they'll be 45-43.  Maybe then I'll be dumb enough to start to have the slightest glimmer of hope then. 

All I'm asking for is for Sandy to do is to wake up long enough do a decent job dealing bodies before the deadline(s), instead of worrying about promoting Tim Teblow.   

Guess Sandy and his band of merry man were right about Rosario needing more seasoning...he is in a wicked slump right now.  He's 4 for his last 32 with 9 K over his last 8 GP, and down to .221 for June.  Just sucks because it means we're subjected to that much more Jose fvcking Reyes, who has been pretty consistently lousy from month to month:

April:  .174/.260/.302

May:  .216/.280/.330

June:  .176/.253/.338

Smith has now jumped up ahead of Rosario in BA (.324), and has shredded it since June 4, at least from a pure "gets hits" standpoint:  .367 BA and has at a least one hit in every game but one.  Downside is he's not hitting with tons of power (5 2B and 1 HR over that span), and his glamour power numbers aren't that impressive for a first baseman.  Still like that, along with very good defense, he should hit for average and be a solid OB% guy...will be a nice switch from Duda's "Hit 7 HR in 10 games off lousy pitching surge, then do nothing for a month" MO. 

It's definitely impossible for me to believe that a real big run is coming (especially since the Mets have looked so bad against top teams), but more and more, the Nationals are looking vulnerable.  Just 24-22 since starting the season 21-9, and after getting to a season-high 17 games over .500 on 6/6, they're only 8-11 since...sure, they weren't going to keep winning at a .700 pace, and they're still on pace for 96 wins, and it's not like anyone in the East is currently capable of making them nervous...but they should've been able to remove ANY doubt by now that they will win their division easily.  They seem to have become a bit of a bully team...they enjoy some fat easy wins here and there, but they've been very meh and up-and-down for a while now.  It's sad that no one is the NL Least will be good enough to challenge them this season...the Mets really need to win their next nine games to throw a legit scare into the Nats, and that's going to happen...if anything, I expect the Mets to somehow be 7 or 8 games out by the time they head to Washington...at which point, the Nats will completely curb-stomp this team into also-ran oblivion. 

Yea this is a true slump, not one of those bored or playing through and injury type one. I guess the league has adjusted to him and it's his turn to adjust back (something btw Conforto has always had trouble doing it seems) but Rosario will find his way out of it that I'm sure. We'll see him this year, just appears to be more later than sooner barring something unforeseen.

The more I look at Smith the more I see James Loney in the future. And Loney was quite a solid player early on in his career but, the power was never there and never developed. 

Just now, '7' said:

Yea this is a true slump, not one of those bored or playing through and injury type one. I guess the league has adjusted to him and it's his turn to adjust back (something btw Conforto has always had trouble doing it seems) but Rosario will find his way out of it that I'm sure. We'll see him this year, just appears to be more later than sooner barring something unforeseen.

The more I look at Smith the more I see James Loney in the future. And Loney was quite a solid player early on in his career but, the power was never there and never developed. 

Rosario will figure it out...in fairness, I don't think he was ever projected to be a beast offensively anyway...I think the Mets will take top-flight D to go with a solid bat from him.  It's like I said, I think my biggest beef with no Rosario yet is that Reyes keeps getting ABs...we're almost THREE MONTHS into this season and this guy continues to do next to nothing most nights, yet will still keep getting into ballgames for the Mets...72 and counting (tied for the team lead with Granderson)...how in fvck...

As far as Smith goes, if he can approximate Loney's 2008 and 2009 seasons, but be closer to a relatively consistent .300 BA and a .360 OB% with a low .800s OPS, I'll take it, especially if he's playing good defense...basically be a "rich man's Loney", I guess.  If he turns out to be the Mets' version of Loney, then we're screwed. 

re:  Conforto, if there's a positive here, it's that he's at least still getting on base...even though he's only hitting .206 for June, he has managed a .383 OB%...at least he's not completely invisible on the basepaths when he's in a slump (this season).  Hopefully that's not a single-season fluke kind of thing.   

And of course Terry starts the inning with fvcking Ramirez.  Once an idiot, always an idiot.

And a three pitch K as Doofmeister goes down meekly.  I'll fly to Vegas and drive Smith to Florida myself at this point.

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And of course Terry starts the inning with fvcking Ramirez.  Once an idiot, always an idiot.

I just don't get what he's really done to earn that kind of trust. Ever. All he's ever done since getting here is give up hits left and right. Sure he'll K a guy...once he's allowed about 2 to score.

41 minutes ago, '7' said:

I just don't get what he's really done to earn that kind of trust. Ever. All he's ever done since getting here is give up hits left and right. Sure he'll K a guy...once he's allowed about 2 to score.

And that's why TC is impossible to defend anymore...if you are actually trying to give the impression that you're still somehow battling to get back into this thing, crazy as we all know that is, don't send out one of your worst relievers in a fvcking 3-3 game that is still winnable...yeah, thanks to Doofus (yet again), Ramirez didn't get much luck, but goddamn, you gotta do better than fvcking RAMIREZ Terry! 

Something about Granderson. He always comes back with a vengeance. You always figure he'll be the odd man out in the outfield rotation but here he is again, on a home run tear with his average in the .230's and an obp of .330. Not bad considering where he was at one point.

And now the Rockies are struggling with an eight-game losing streak after being swept by the same cruddy Giants we managed to club, the diehards are starting to stir with the Mets eight games back in the loss column (twelve fewer wins so it's really still ten back) :P

Even if the Rockies continue to crap out I really don't see how the Mets can make a sustained run with deGrom, Matz and who the **** knows on the mound the other three days.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And now the Rockies are struggling with an eight-game losing streak after being swept by the same cruddy Giants we managed to club, the diehards are starting to stir with the Mets eight games back in the loss column (twelve fewer wins so it's really still ten back) :P

Even if the Rockies continue to crap out I really don't see how the Mets can make a sustained run with deGrom, Matz and who the **** knows on the mound the other three days.

I just don't see it. As you've alluded to we will never get the consistent starting pitching or quality bullpen to sustain any sort of long winning streak. I don't even know when we'll see Syndergaard again. Starting to think it will probably be mid August for him, which will be enough for 2 meaningless starts and shut 'er down.

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And that's why TC is impossible to defend anymore...if you are actually trying to give the impression that you're still somehow battling to get back into this thing, crazy as we all know that is, don't send out one of your worst relievers in a fvcking 3-3 game that is still winnable...yeah, thanks to Doofus (yet again), Ramirez didn't get much luck, but goddamn, you gotta do better than fvcking RAMIREZ Terry! 

And it's partially Sandy's fault for leaving such drech in his pen to have available. Because it's not like he has any feel for who's going good, who's not, who needs a break, and who can be trusted. You leave Terry crap and believe us, he'll use it much more often than he should. Then he'll go on and waste guys in blowouts and leave them unavailable in tighter spots where we could use them. It didn't happen yesterday thankfully but there have been times in games like yesterday we'd have Blevins come in...

AY, Anthony Young passed away of brain cancer. Was a great guy from what I've heard. Didn't even pitch too badly during that stretch...certainly not so bad to endure that kind of losing streak. Handled it with grace and humor. Ends up passing of brain cancer. Very sad story.

Here's a clip of the streak ending on a walk off hit by Eddie Murray

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I just don't see it. As you've alluded to we will never get the consistent starting pitching or quality bullpen to sustain any sort of long winning streak. I don't even know when we'll see Syndergaard again. Starting to think it will probably be mid August for him, which will be enough for 2 meaningless starts and shut 'er down.

Re: Thor yeah, this feels a bit like the Parise thing in 2011 where he comes back to get in a game or two just to get over the hump of being back then gets shut down again when we're mathematically eliminated.

And with Anthony Young yeah it's weird how he was around a 4 ERA during the losing streak. I get this was pre steroid era and he wasn't a K guy either but surprised he only got three years as a SP.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Yeah Mets just don't have the arms to go on that extended crazy run (say 18-4 or something like that) to get it done...and the manager will undoubtedly screw up BP management...no reason to think the Village Idiot will suddenly figure things out now.  Last night is the kind of game you use Ramirez in...not a fvcking tie game!

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Re: Thor yeah, this feels a bit like the Parise thing in 2011 where he comes back to get in a game or two just to get over the hump of being back then gets shut down again when we're mathematically eliminated.

And with Anthony Young yeah it's weird how he was around a 4 ERA during the losing streak. I get this was pre steroid era and he wasn't a K guy either but surprised he only got three years as a SP.

He was awesome at AA, not long before he came up to the big team...15-3 with a 1.65 ERA...not overpowering and he was slightly overage, but I remember thinking "Who is THIS guy?" at the time.  He was pretty ordinary in AAA, but not long after he came up, he just got stupidly insanely unlucky...he wasn't anywhere near as bad as that losing streak would suggest.  His traditional numbers weren't anything special of course (1.387 WHIP), but he was about average, maybe a little bit below...I can't imagine how hard all of that fvcked with his head.  He deserved a LOT better. 

Wheeler's supposed to be coming back, and you've got Lugo.  As crazy as this sounds, I give Montero another start or two (though I'm keeping the leash VERY short on him)...might as well see if he's somehow making progress out of nowhere. I would actually be willing to sign Colon as AAA insurance (like Dice K a while back), but who knows if Colon would ever be willing to do that...not to mention the PCL is probably the last league on Earth that Colon should be pitching in.  

It really feels like Colon finally just got old though...I don't see much good coming out of bringing him back.

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wheeler's supposed to be coming back, and you've got Lugo.  As crazy as this sounds, I give Montero another start or two (though I'm keeping the leash VERY short on him)...might as well see if he's somehow making progress out of nowhere. I would actually be willing to sign Colon as AAA insurance (like Dice K a while back), but who knows if Colon would ever be willing to do that...not to mention the PCL is probably the last league on Earth that Colon should be pitching in.  

It really feels like Colon finally just got old though...I don't see much good coming out of bringing him back.

Yeah I think Colon's done but I could definitely see them trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  If nothing else have him be the long man in the pen for the moment, replace Neil Ramirez and see if you can get anything out of him.  Another thing is he's probably a better pitching coach than Warthen :P

Somehow the Mets pull out a 5-5 road trip and actually win a series in Florida.  Of course Florida and the Giants are just as bad as us so I don't know how much I can take out of this week.  If they're really serious about getting back into this get over .500 before the break and then beat the Rockies 3 of 4 after it, go from there.

Thank you Jacob.  Just because.  Keep it up.  You're our Obi Wan...you're our only hope.