New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

And of course the Village Idiot can't figure out that Salas shouldn't still be in the game.  Surprise.

Rosario's overall meh June continues (18 GP): .239 BA (16-for-67, with 5 hits going for extra bases), only 4 BB drawn for the month...as has been noted, he's been showing some signs of cutting down on his Ks.  His season slash going into June was .357/.395/.519...it's now .325/.368/.479. 

His monthly BA has been dropping, FWIW:  he hit .404 for April, .322 for May, and is at .239 so for June.  I can't make too much out of that, as far as April to May goes...he wasn't going to hit over .400 month after month, and he closed out his May with that 17-game hitting streak, so it's not like he wasn't hitting that month.  What's funny is that Sandy, if asked, would probably be in full-on condescending "See I told you so!" mode...but we know that even if Rosario was turning in another May-type month, there would still be some excuse not to bring him up, and we'd STILL have Reyes filling in for Cabrera, no matter what. 

Reyes is kinda-sorta hot for the moment...6 for his last 15 over four games, 3 HR, 5 RBI (he's had random mini-power surges before)...so once again he's flirting with .200, which apparently is all he has to do to keep TC and others ready, willing, and able to keep playing him everyday...guess who's tied for first among Mets in games played, and second in ABs?  Kind of sucks for Wilmer that he's gone ice-cold since that big 4-for-5 day...just 3-for-31 since...knowing the Mets, Reyes will immediately get a chance to reclaim the 3rd base job, once Cabrera comes off the DL.  I say screw that...give Flores the rest of the season as an everyday player, and see what you have, once and for all.   

Bruce is one more consistent month away from being able to fetch the Mets something decent at the deadline.  All the slash columns are solid:  .274/.340/.556 (his current .896 OPS would be a career high if it holds up), and the old-fashioned glamour numbers look good too:  19 HR and 48 RBI; of course, GMs might be worried about regression, and him being a deadline dud, like he was last year here.  Still think he might bring back a player who's better than the one the Mets gave up to get him...if that happens, hard to complain too much. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Definitely feels like 1987 in a lot of ways...and not in a good way.  I liked the "normalized" game (except for the constant Ks...not like those have gone anywhere though).  This just feels silly and artificial.  

Yikes with Wheeler...what a quick crash and burn.

Mets actually battled pretty hard tonight (Reyes with two dingers off Kershaw?!)...looks like Salas killed the momentum though...what a god awful year he's had.  

Yea that was nuts. Andre Dawson out of nowhere clubbing 49 at 32 when he maybe hit 30 once. Mets I think had 3 thirty HR guys. Eric Davis of the Reds had 37 in only 129 games and he looked like he may have weighed 160lbs soaking wet.

Salas I think is just being overused. He was never all that great to begin with. Can strike guys out but his ball doesn't have great movement and he's always around the plate so a big HR risk. Now he's losing velocity. Add that to the mix and it's a formula for disaster. Really he's a guy who needs to be kept towards the back end of the pen and pitch maybe 50 innings a year.

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea that was nuts. Andre Dawson out of nowhere clubbing 49 at 32 when he maybe hit 30 once. Mets I think had 3 thirty HR guys. Eric Davis of the Reds had 37 in only 129 games and he looked like he may have weighed 160lbs soaking wet.

Salas I think is just being overused. He was never all that great to begin with. Can strike guys out but his ball doesn't have great movement and he's always around the plate so a big HR risk. Now he's losing velocity. Add that to the mix and it's a formula for disaster. Really he's a guy who needs to be kept towards the back end of the pen and pitch maybe 50 innings a year.

Yeah, one of them was HoJo, who nearly doubled his career HR total that season (he had 40 in 1185 career ABs prior to that season, or one every 29.6 AB...in 1987, he hit 36 in 554 ABs, or one every 15.4 AB).  To his credit, 1987 wasn't a fluke year for HoJo, the way it was for several '87 guys, as much as it was a coming-out year...over a 5-year period starting with 1987, he hit 157 HR in 2774 AB (one 17.7 per AB rate), and though he was better in 1987, 89, and 91 (kind of had an "every other year" thing going), over the course of the sample he was pretty good, sometimes very good (though always iffy in the field...he was actually a natural lefty, but his dad made him learn to field right-handed so that more positions would be available to him). 

Straw had a huge year too (his best)...same as HoJo, at least he followed it up with similar seasons in 1988 and 1990, especially from a power standpoint (only 18 doubles in 1990...I think there was a lot of concern about Darryl being lazy as his Met career went on...wonder if that factored into the low 2B count). 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, one of them was HoJo, who nearly doubled his career HR total that season (he had 40 in 1185 career ABs prior to that season, or one every 29.6 AB...in 1987, he hit 36 in 554 ABs, or one every 15.4 AB).  To his credit, 1987 wasn't a fluke year for HoJo, the way it was for several '87 guys, as much as it was a coming-out year...over a 5-year period starting with 1987, he hit 157 HR in 2774 AB (one 17.7 per AB rate), and though he was better in 1987, 89, and 91 (kind of had an "every other year" thing going), over the course of the sample he was pretty good, sometimes very good (though always iffy in the field...he was actually a natural lefty, but his dad made him learn to field right-handed so that more positions would be available to him). 

Straw had a huge year too (his best)...same as HoJo, at least he followed it up with similar seasons in 1988 and 1990, especially from a power standpoint (only 18 doubles in 1990...I think there was a lot of concern about Darryl being lazy as his Met career went on...wonder if that factored into the low 2B count). 

The game almost came too easy and effortlessly to Strawberry. He really could've been so much more if he was a workaholic and kept his nose clean. But he had the speed, he had the power, he had one of the most effortless beautiful swings you'll ever see. It was so apparent when Straw was really bearing down at the plate...and when it was just a give up AB. He should've stolen at least 350 bases. Never happened. Should've easily hit 400+ hr's...never happened. Should've had some 40/40 years...

After 1991 in LA when he was 29 years old, he never had another season of even 300 at bats. 

Yeah Straw got the absolute minimum out of his gifts...but we know how it works...some guys don't have the brains and heart to go with the talent.  Straw was always a me-first punk and was often a real nose (his former teammates have often stated as such).

I'll always remember 1987 for a sadder reason...the beginning of the end for both Hernandez and Carter...they both had their first decline years (Carter's was definitely more pronounced), and by 1989, both were shells of themselves.  Was tough and painful to watch. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Straw got the absolute minimum out of his gifts...but we know how it works...some guys don't have the brains and heart to go with the talent.  Straw was always a me-first punk and was often a real nose (his former teammates have often stated as such).

I'll always remember 1987 for a sadder reason...the beginning of the end for both Hernandez and Carter...they both had their first decline years (Carter's was definitely more pronounced), and by 1989, both were shells of themselves.  Was tough and painful to watch. 

I actually thought that after the 100 game hangover or so that they had (what the Cubs are pretty much having now) that the Mets were going to storm through and win the division. After what happened in 1986 I really believed in them and a sort of magic that we seemed to have. They went from being down 10.5 in late to July to only 1.5 on September 9th. Then the Terry Pendleton HR happened. With 2 outs in the 9th of course. They never really recovered going 12-10 the rest of the way which wasn't good enough.

Without two freak HR's (Pendleton and Scioscia) the 80's Mets may have had a fuller trophy case. Plus they were victims of the no Wild Card environment where they won 98 games in 1985 (they were arguably the 2nd best team in baseball. Toss up with the Blue Jays) and didn't make the playoffs.

I was impressed with how long Carter remained an effective player. It wasn't unusual to see guys moved out from behind the plate in their late 20's. Also the wear on the knees. The surgeries weren't as sophisticated as they were today in restoring players to their old selves. Also Carter always had a long swing and when his bat slowed down it made him late on everything and a pop up machine. He never really K'd much.

Edited by '7'

Obviously, you had Gooden missing the start of the season casting a pall over everything...but I remember that team getting off to a 3-0 start, then kind of having a bunch of mini-win streak and losing streaks...but then lost 8 of 10 (seemed almost impossible for that team) and suddenly they were just 14-18 about 20% of the way into the season...they were just 32-31, then finally got it into gear for a while...they went a very good 52-30 (though like you point out, losing two of three to the Cards in that Pendleton series really hurt), but simply ran out of steam, only going 8-9 to close out their year. 

I remember the two early series with the Cards in '87 as well, when the Cards swept one series and took two out of three in the other one...unfortunately that really set the tone for a while...the Cards didn't exactly light it up just after those series, but they did enough to keep the Mets in permanent catch-up mode...and as we saw, the Mets just never quite got there.

I never go the "no WC back then" route, only because SO many teams from the past could've won a WS (or several of them) under a more-teams-in format...the Yankees sure as hell wouldn't have won so many.  Keeps me from going too crazy with "what ifs". 

22 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Even as a kid I remember the nonsense how every manager in the league was getting HoJo's bat checked for cork since he came out of nowhere in 1987. The days of innocence when we only worried about the bats being juiced...

Whitey Herzog was the one most guilty of that...supposedly he was doing it more to fvck with HoJo's head. 

One thing I remember about HoJo is that he had a knack for hitting big HR off tough closers...I remember him victimizing Todd Worrell a few times (hence the reason Whitey liked screwing with him no doubt).  I also remember him being a bit more clutch than Darryl...to me HoJo was a real overachiever in a lot of ways...I don't think anyone saw him having the productive five-year run he had from 87-91.  What's funny is that I don't remember him getting that much respect until 1991...just in time for his production to drop off a cliff in 1992 and beyond. 

Zack insisting that his brutal last two starts are nothing physical (scary, I was kind of wishing it was...at least then it would be an "Oh, OK, that makes sense" kind of scenario).

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2017/06/mets_zack_wheeler_thinks_he_knows_whats_wrong_but.html

Not saying that Warthen should be a miracle worker, but again, what does the guy actually DO? 

First inning almost a carbon copy of yesterday. As soon as Gsuckman took the mound it was game over. 10-0 now. Mets are now getting their skulls caved in like they're the Jets.

I think we're getting close to 2009 territory now. It may spiral down there.

Now there's really not much to do except to see how long it takes before Rosario joins the big club (they gave him a day off yesterday, probably just to clear his head a little...his team is off today, so that will be a couple of days away from the diamond for Amed), and see how many bodies are moved at the deadline (and possibly beyond).  I definitely won't be watching as much as I was for much of this season...no point, this is a dead man walking team and even Passive Uncreative has to see that status quo with the same bodies makes no sense.  I'll be a bit sorry to see Bruce go, mostly because he's having a big year to date, and it's always fun to see a Met having a big year, but there's just no reason to hang on to him. 

I've pretty much given up on Sandy waking up long enough to can Terry and his band of useless men...they're probably here through the end of the season.  If TC and Co are retained for 2018, then I'm just at a loss.   

Didn't even realize that the Nats are just 22-20 in their last 42 games...of course, with the Mets going 18-24 in their last 42, you'd never know that the Nats weren't really tearing it up.  They're not going to need much more than 85 wins to take the East...if they simply go .500 the rest of the way (45-45), that will give them 88 wins.  Mets would have to go 58-34 in their remaining games to finish ahead of them.  It's truly amazing, if you think about it...the Nats can be a .500 team over the final 132 games of this season (going 66-66), finish with 87 wins, and win the division with ease.  I guess the big question is can they keep their edge and focus?  Outside of home field, they have almost nothing to play for, for the remainder of this season...with over a week left in June, they've sewn this thing up. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Didn't even realize that the Nats are just 22-20 in their last 42 games...of course, with the Mets going 18-24 in their last 42, you'd never know that the Nats weren't really tearing it up.  They're not going to need much more than 85 wins to take the East...if they simply go .500 the rest of the way (45-45), that will give them 88 wins.  Mets would have to go 58-34 in their remaining games to finish ahead of them.  It's truly amazing, if you think about it...the Nats can be a .500 team over the final 132 games of this season (going 66-66), finish with 87 wins, and win the division with ease.  I guess the big question is can they keep their edge and focus?  Outside of home field, they have almost nothing to play for, for the remainder of this season...with over a week left in June, they've sewn this thing up. 

Didn't think it was only 22-20. Surprised to see that. Honestly it seemed like they were humming along in a dominating fashion for much longer than that.

I think the Mets are near a breaking point now. Last night was pretty much the baseball version of a jobber squash. I think they're beaten down and beleaguered. The pen is overworked. Conforto's back is probably still bothering him. Wheeler has reached his limit. Real reinforcements (Walker/Syndergaard) are forever away. Some won't even make it back (Familia)

This is too broken to fix in 2017

Nationals I think are good but also playing over their head and lucky. Zimmerman has been unfathomably good. In the age of fragile pitchers Scherzer is a machine. Adam Lind has been amazing for them. Gio Gonzalez is having the season of his life. Not sure how much of that will continue without some normalization and bumps in the road. Their pen is still awful. I expect them to go all out to fortify it. Roark and Ross are weak spots so they'd better go out and get another arm. if any of there top guys go down or slump they could be in trouble.

Edited by '7'

22-21 now after Scherzer somehow lost a game he was pitching a no-hitter after seven innings in.

That bullpen of theirs is abominable.  Of course when they pitch against the Mets they're great.  I think it was Jared Diamond the other day who Tweeted the Nats' pen ERA is above 5 against the rest of the league and below 2 against the Mets lol

27 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

22-21 now after Scherzer somehow lost a game he was pitching a no-hitter after seven innings in.

That bullpen of theirs is abominable.  Of course when they pitch against the Mets they're great.  I think it was Jared Diamond the other day who Tweeted the Nats' pen ERA is above 5 against the rest of the league and below 2 against the Mets lol

And they tied it on a Scherzer wild pitch no less. Wow. Congrats Nationals on the Metlike loss. 

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And Wheeler officially bites the dust going on the DL with elbow tendinitis a day after claiming he was healthy.

Yea anybody could see it with how badly he was being battered around. The Dodgers were practicing their home run trots in the on deck circle. He was doing fine and then smashes in to a wall. His arm has just not been conditioned to do this for this length of time yet.

Edited by '7'

On 6/20/2017 at 2:38 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Zack insisting that his brutal last two starts are nothing physical (scary, I was kind of wishing it was...at least then it would be an "Oh, OK, that makes sense" kind of scenario).

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2017/06/mets_zack_wheeler_thinks_he_knows_whats_wrong_but.html

Not saying that Warthen should be a miracle worker, but again, what does the guy actually DO? 

Yeah that freaking figures.