July 2017 Devils' Development Camp Thread

Triumph

52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty cool, my man. That Bratt jersey could end up being significant if he turns out to be a star player. 

Whoever paid $900 for the white Hischier he never even wore is a nut job, no offense if the purchaser is here. You could get the exact same thing for under $200 by getting a blank and sending it to EPS yourself. 

Someone once paid $970 on the game-issed 2015 Elias retro night when they went up on auction.  I think the winning bidder didn't understand that game-issued means he didn't wear it.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Someone once paid $970 on the game-issed 2015 Elias retro night when they went up on auction.  I think the winning bidder didn't understand that game-issued means he didn't wear it.

You're probably right. Not that I collect game worn jerseys as you know, but at least I can see where the value is in those.

Game issued? You're throwing your money away if its more than an authentic jersey + customizing costs, maybe a couple dollars more for convenience and not having to wait. 

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have a couple of blank red Edges and was planning on making one of them a Hischier anyway...not sure whether to go 13 or 33.  

I'd go #13. First of all, its a badass number (I wore #13 when I played as a kid, and I'm badass). Second, we know one at least existed because Nico was presented it at his signing. Honestly, the fact that he wore a #33 in development camp to me is only like a half step more legit than the press conference jersey.

So I would go with the #13 he will make famous, will eventually be retired, and he'll wear into the Hall of Fame. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm going #13 on Hischier.  The more I think about it, the more I think the only #33 should be the "real deal" jersey won during the auction, as at least it has a cool story to go with it...it's probably a little odd to try to emulate what was pretty much a practice/scrimmage jersey.  

Re:  game-issued jerseys, sometimes it's a nice chance to snag a special event jersey at a pretty reasonable cost (or at least a good chunk lower than players who were actually on the ice).  That's why I bought Auvitu's GI McMullen night jersey...obviously he was here and gone very quickly, but his McMullen wasn't all that much more than a standard personalized authentic (it was much cheaper than  the remaining stock), and I think the number #33 looks pretty cool.  As much as I think collecting game worns is cool, I don't plan to get too into the hobby (that would be extremely dangerous)...just going to look for the occasional bargain here and there.  I got my Auvitu, Bratt, and Wood for well under $1000 combined.  There's definitely good deals out there...much more so than many people realize.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I'm going #13 on Hischier.  The more I think about it, the more I think the only #33 should be the "real deal" jersey won during the auction, as at least it has a cool story to go with it...it's probably a little odd to try to emulate what was pretty much a practice/scrimmage jersey.  

Re:  game-issued jerseys, sometimes it's a nice chance to snag a special event jersey at a pretty reasonable cost (or at least a good chunk lower than players who were actually on the ice).  That's why I bought Auvitu's GI McMullen night jersey...obviously he was here and gone very quickly, but his McMullen wasn't all that much more than a standard personalized authentic (it was much cheaper than  the remaining stock), and I think the number #33 looks pretty cool.  As much as I think collecting game worns is cool, I don't plan to get too into the hobby (that would be extremely dangerous)...just going to look for the occasional bargain here and there.  I got my Auvitu, Bratt, and Wood for well under $1000 combined.  There's definitely good deals out there...much more so than many people realize.

Plus, you’d spend a significant amount of time explaining to people who don’t know better that you didn’t get the “wrong” number. 

I neglected to add and you made a good point, a GI of a special event jersey is a different animal. Especially one of those McMullens, because you can’t make one, the patches are not available. You got yourself a one of a kind collectible, and quite a bit cheaper than a worn one, I would guess. It’s a very important distinction. 

I was talking more like the $600 Jagr GI MeiGray has. That’s just bonkers. I could make one for about $200 right now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Plus, you’d spend a significant amount of time explaining to people who don’t know better that you didn’t get the “wrong” number. 

I neglected to add and you made a good point, a GI of a special event jersey is a different animal. Especially one of those McMullens, because you can’t make one, the patches are not available. You got yourself a one of a kind collectible, and quite a bit cheaper than a worn one, I would guess. It’s a very important distinction. 

I was talking more like the $600 Jagr GI MeiGray has. That’s just bonkers. I could make one for about $200 right now. 

Speaking of making one, do any of you have an idea of how much longer the old ones will be available from Meigray? Are they just still selling off what they had left? Or will they have plenty for the near future? 

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of making one, do any of you have an idea of how much longer the old ones will be available from Meigray? Are they just still selling off what they had left? Or will they have plenty for the near future? 

They are selling off what they had left. I have no clue how many that might be. Others might know that answer. 

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still have to do that every so often when I break out my xmas Brodeur.  "Number 29?"

Agree 100%, absolutely no reason to pay some crazy adder fee for a GI "ordinary" jersey. 

I got the Auvitu for $400 and change...no other remaining McMullen jersey was close to that low (but all were game-worns as opposed to game-issued).

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still have to do that every so often when I break out my xmas Brodeur.  "Number 29?"

Agree 100%, absolutely no reason to pay some crazy adder fee for a GI "ordinary" jersey. 

I got the Auvitu for $400 and change...no other remaining McMullen jersey was close to that low (but all were game-worns as opposed to game-issued).

Yeah that was a wise GI choice. And like I said, can’t be found anywhere anymore!

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that was a wise GI choice. And like I said, can’t be found anywhere anymore!

There are some GW McMullens left...Schneids and Zacha are $2500 each.  Lappin ($695), Quincey ($795), and Kalinin ($695) are available as well.  DM84 has the PA Parenteau McMullen...due to it being somewhat "fragrant" (it was unwashed when he got it), it became BO Parenteau...fortunately he was able to get the smell out. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There are some GW McMullens left...Schneids and Zacha are $2500 each.  Lappin ($695), Quincey ($795), and Kalinin ($695) are available as well.  DM84 has the PA Parenteau McMullen...due to it being somewhat "fragrant" (it was unwashed when he got it), it became BO Parenteau...fortunately he was able to get the smell out. 

I forgot about the BO jersey, that was amazing. 

Suffice it to say that I was quite happy that my Bratt and Wood were washed when I picked them up today...there's a slight blemish on the left sleeve #6 on the Bratt...not sure if it's a stick mark or a board burn.

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

BO is one thing he said it smelled of puke iirc... :blink:

Yeah, he said it smelled pretty friggin' horrible, and did compare it to puke, but IIRC it wasn't actually vomit.  He said some players have much different diets than we do, and when they sweat heavily...

Oh god don't remind me lol.  That thing really stunk to high hell.  At first I aired it out by having it hanging outside my jersey closet in my finished basement for a few days with no success.  Even my wife when she went down there for the first time after I got it thought an animal died in our basement.  I later had to move it out of there when my central air which is located in the basement started blowing the stink from there to the rest of the house.

I put it outside for a couple days on my deck with little success until I finally gave in and washed it.  I did it on cold gentle cycle with a light detergent and let it air dry.  It did the trick and thankfully didn't affect any of the wear on it.

It smelled like a combo of really bad BO and vomit.  My wife says it smelled more like a rotting corpse to her.  Either way it was bad.  Funny thing is that other collectors who got jerseys from that McMullen Night set had different experiences from no or light smell to really bad heavy smell like mine.  Just the luck (or not) of the draw.

• Haha 2

When I picked up my Bratt and Wood (they were both in a box), I was almost terrified to open the box...I was afraid that they would reek every bit as badly as your BO Parenteau.  

It's amazing how quickly jerseys worn during any kind of game action show wear...both the Wood and Bratt show a little crest stress, a couple of stray threads, there's a mark on Bratt jersey, etc.  

On 12/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When I picked up my Bratt and Wood (they were both in a box), I was almost terrified to open the box...I was afraid that they would reek every bit as badly as your BO Parenteau.  

It's amazing how quickly jerseys worn during any kind of game action show wear...both the Wood and Bratt show a little crest stress, a couple of stray threads, there's a mark on Bratt jersey, etc.  

Yeah it is not often Meigray gets them before they have been washed.  Thankfully yours were good lol.

I am surprised you have any wear on them being they are camp, but I guess they did get a little hands on with the scrimmages.

Yeah it is not often Meigray gets them before they have been washed.  Thankfully yours were good lol.

I am surprised you have any wear on them being they are camp, but I guess they did get a little hands on with the scrimmages.

I gotta be honest- I have no idea why the jersey not being washed is a thing that adds to value/authenticity or whatever. Who the hell wants a jersey that stinks like a locker room? Isn't the mere fact it was worn in a game enough lol? Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Crazy the white Bratt went for nearly double the red. 

You got a pretty good deal it would seem, CR76. 

I still haven't figured that one yet.  I kept waiting for someone to blow up my red Bratt to something in that same range...my top-end bid was $310 each for the Bratt and Wood jerseys, and if someone had gone well above that, I would've bowed out. 

I have a feeling the Nico madness (the red one only...I didn't bother with his white) was between me and one other guy.  I did really want that one...but that guy decided he was going to get it, no matter what, and to his credit, he made sure that it happened...I went way above my original limit for that one, just kind of got caught up in the moment.  I think at the end, the other guy probably put in a max bid in the $3k range...I'm sure he was thinking "Who the fvck is this other guy who's making me pay all of this money for this friggin' jersey?!" 

Yeah was very happy...like I said, wish I jumped in on Zacha. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I gotta be honest- I have no idea why the jersey not being washed is a thing that adds to value/authenticity or whatever. Who the hell wants a jersey that stinks like a locker room? Isn't the mere fact it was worn in a game enough lol?

Washing it can take of the natural on-ice wear (stick marks, board burns, even blood, etc) off the jersey.  I don't ever plan to go hardcore into this hobby, but I'm with you, if I ever get one that's unwashed, it's going right into the washer...I'll do what I can to keep the wear as intact as possible, but I don't need authenticity right down to sweat and BO. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I gotta be honest- I have no idea why the jersey not being washed is a thing that adds to value/authenticity or whatever. Who the hell wants a jersey that stinks like a locker room? Isn't the mere fact it was worn in a game enough lol? Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically the jerseys are washed by the team before they go to Meigray to be sold.  It is kind of uncommon to receive a jersey these days that hasn't been washed before it is sold the collectors.

Collectors value jerseys that are in the same condition as they are when they came off the player (this is why autographs on game worn jerseys are generally frowned upon by collectors).  The final washing the team does rarely affects the wear and just takes the grime and stink off the jerseys before they are sold.  Some collectors prefer this condition, while others like myself don't mind it either way (but have a slight preference for washed lol).  Just as long as the marks remain I am happy with it.

The St. Louis Blues sold a set of their Winter Classic jerseys from last year that was unwashed.  The problem is that Fanatics, who was handling them and had no clue how, put each jersey into a plastic bag immediately after the game.  It sat for a few months until they were sold to collectors.  When collectors finally received the jerseys, more than a few ended up having mold growing on them due to the fact that the bags trapped the moisture and the bacteria from the sweat that was on the jerseys.  Yeah, I don't want any part of that lol.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If the player is good enough, you can extract his DNA and make clones. So there’s that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If the player is good enough, you can extract his DNA and make clones. So there’s that. 

But just because you could doesn't mean you should...

Maybe Jeff Goldblum will see Drew Stafford and say "Now that's one big pile of sh!t..."