Good read on Hallsy

PepeLemieux22

Someone posted that one earlier, but yeah, it's a good read, and Hall clearly looks much more comfortable this year than he did last.  He was dealing with a lot of emotions, and I think even more than him playing better this year, he really needed to play on a winning team.  Fortunately both have happened...and even better, Edmonton (for the moment) isn't having a good season...the grass no longer seems greener over there.

What's also nice is that the Larsson-for-Hall swap really looks like the slam-dunk-for-the-Devils deal that many thought it was at the time it was made...though some of us thought losing Larsson would hurt (I was in that camp), just about ALL of us would make that deal in a heartbeat.  Though you don't ever judge a trade like that based on the first season, the fact that Edmonton made the playoffs and Hall didn't really live up to expectations had some wondering about Hall...sure, we'd all still make that trade in a heartbeat, but maybe Hall wasn't really that big of a deal...maybe he was a bit overrated.

My only complaint about Hall is that I wish he had just a bit more finish...especially since he gets so many prime chances...it just feels like a true monster year is within his grasp, and that's the only thing holding him back from having one.  But the guy has been largely terrific this year, and it's great to see him having so much fun playing hockey, and doing it all with the Devils.  After a tough first year, it very much feels like Taylor and the Devils are very right for each other...really feels like he will be wearing the C one day.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

36 points in 34 games and tied for first on the team with goals. I couldn't be happier. He embodies everything a team MVP is about. As far as him scoring more, I prefer things the way they are. The Devils ID this year seems to be "a threat to score with any given line on the ice", and that seems to be what the team is playing to and it is working. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

36 points in 34 games and tied for first on the team with goals. I couldn't be happier. He embodies everything a team MVP is about. As far as him scoring more, I prefer things the way they are. The Devils ID this year seems to be "a threat to score with any given line on the ice", and that seems to be what the team is playing to and it is working. 

Agree completely about a "scoring by committee" kind of team...I've said that about this team a number of times...a guy like Gibbons slows up, and Boyle picks up the slack.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind less "How did you not bury that Taylor?!" moments from Hall.  He's had a number of them...but he's still enjoying a very good year regardless.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree completely about a "scoring by committee" kind of team...I've said that about this team a number of times...a guy like Gibbons slows up, and Boyle picks up the slack.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind less "How did you not bury that Taylor?!" moments from Hall.  He's had a number of them...but he's still enjoying a very good year regardless.

I guess I just haven't noticed it with Stafford's issues lately lol. :lol:

After last year, I was starting to buy into the fear that Hall wouldn't re-sign here, and we'd essentially lose a couple years of Adam Larsson for nothing.

He really seems to be having a blast this year though.  If the team continues to do well, and we make some noise in the playoffs (even winning a single round, maybe) I could see Hall sticking around long-term.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

After last year, I was starting to buy into the fear that Hall wouldn't re-sign here, and we'd essentially lose a couple years of Adam Larsson for nothing.

He really seems to be having a blast this year though.  If the team continues to do well, and we make some noise in the playoffs (even winning a single round, maybe) I could see Hall sticking around long-term.

It was way too early to worry about that, re:  Hall re-signing.  Hall had four years left on his deal when he was brought here.  Unless you were convinced that Shero was either a bad GM or there was little that he could do to significantly improve the team within 2-3 years (some of the ubermetrics crowd seemed to strongly believe the latter), there wasn't much point in worrying about a decision that was still a ways off.  At any rate, even if it didn't work out, it was a roll of the dice that made a ton of sense.

All this being said, I have no idea if Hall stays or leaves.  A lot can happen in 2-3 years.  It wasn't so long ago that Mets fans were worried about what would happen once Matt Harvey became a FA.  Well, he's entering his walk year, and most Met fans can't see him leave fast enough.  Hopefully Hall has three terrific seasons (including this one) and we're hoping that he sticks around...but it's also fair to remember that paying guys for what they were doesn't always lead to solid value for what they are.  Some players who are playing for relative pennies now might be due big raises too.  Good news is that by then, Greene's money will be off the books, and Zajac's deal will only have one year left.  The Devils' cap situation doesn't look too bad down the road.  Of course, a fvcking lockout is looming...arrrrrrgh...

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I guess I just haven't noticed it with Stafford's issues lately lol. :lol:

And on that note, thank god that guy is a healthy scratch.  It got to the point where every time he had a scoring opportunity, all I could think was "So?"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It was way too early to worry about that, re:  Hall re-signing.  Hall had four years left on his deal when he was brought here.  Unless you were convinced that Shero was either a bad GM or there was little that he could do to significantly improve the team within 2-3 years (some of the ubermetrics crowd seemed to strongly believe the latter), there wasn't much point in worrying about a decision that was still a ways off.  At any rate, even if it didn't work out, it was a roll of the dice that made a ton of sense.

All this being said, I have no idea if Hall stays or leaves.  A lot can happen in 2-3 years.  It wasn't so long ago that Mets fans were worried about what would happen once Matt Harvey became a FA.  Well, he's entering his walk year, and most Met fans can't see him leave fast enough.  Hopefully Hall has three terrific seasons (including this one) and we're hoping that he sticks around...but it's also fair to remember that paying guys for what they were doesn't always lead to solid value for what they are.  Some players who are playing for relative pennies now might be due big raises too.  Good news is that by then, Greene's money will be off the books, and Zajac's deal will only have one year left.  The Devils' cap situation doesn't look too bad down the road.  Of course, a fvcking lockout is looming...arrrrrrgh...

Could help if there is a possibility of a compliance buyout and we can jettison Zajac's contract.

Hall has settled as the true leader here. He doesn’t seem to be slowing down one bit, and I firmly believe he’ll stay here if everything goes well for the team and be our captain down the line. As many have mentionner, the cap situation looks good (many guys’ contracts are up soon), and he seems comfortable here and appreciating the direction the team is taking. Shero will make it happen in due time.

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Minnesota is just loving the Parise contract right now.