Back to the Future of the Past 80's vs Toronto 1/10/18 7PM GDT

DevsMan84

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I noticed that too....a lot.  A solid 1/3 - 1/2 of the Heritage jerseys in the crowd were knockoffs.

IDK why it bothers the sh!t out of me, but watching people get knockoffs signed or posing for pictures with players while wearing horrendously sh!tty knock offs bothers the ever living hell out of me.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I like the green, but we always lose while wearing them. 

I liked them as a novelty, once a year a retro night or a St. Patrick's night is fine. Hell, do them the last day before Christmas since they are red and green. 

The only way I would want to see them full time is if the entire league did a full "Turn Back The Clock" season, which I think would be awesome. Of course, expansion teams and such make that a little difficult. 

That's interesting. I paid particular attention to them at the 12/29 and 12/31 games and noticed that most were the current Indonesian retail "authentics", likely bought at the arena. But not too many of the fakes. I guess as time has gone by more fakes have gotten out, plus it was retro night so more people wore them specifically for that reason. 

I think you answered your own question lol.  But they were easy to tell because of the usual knockoff issues plus the Heritage knockoffs tend to use a green that is a few shades too light.

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

IDK why it bothers the sh!t out of me, but watching people get knockoffs signed or posing for pictures with players while wearing horrendously sh!tty knock offs bothers the ever living hell out of me.

It used to bother me too, but I've learned to just accept it and now it hardly bothers me.

Someone at the Sykora signing had a knockoff he wanted Sykora to sign that was already signed by at least one to two dozen players.  That part didn't bother me, but it was the part where that jersey was quite possibly the filthiest jersey, real or not, that I have ever seen lol.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I think you answered your own question lol.  But they were easy to tell because of the usual knockoff issues plus the Heritage knockoffs tend to use a green that is a few shades too light.

Yeah, and it's an especially harsh shade of green on those...it really looks bad.  The green shade used on ice looks a million times better.  Did see some Heritages that were a hell of a lot closer to the real thing.     

It used to bother me too, but I've learned to just accept it and now it hardly bothers me.

Someone at the Sykora signing had a knockoff he wanted Sykora to sign that was already signed by at least one to two dozen players.  That part didn't bother me, but it was the part where that jersey was quite possibly the filthiest jersey, real or not, that I have ever seen lol.

Knockoffs will never bother me...not everyone has the funds to afford closer to "real deal" jerseys, or even the knowledge to see the differences (even the ones that are obvious to most).  They're in the building and supporting the team and wearing their (sometimes a bit off) Devils colors.  It's all good. 

• Like 1

Overall, I like how they are handling these throwbacks.  Four games is about right for these.  I could probably be alright with 6 games, but above that it would get to be too much.

Also, while I do like the red Reebok retro's, these whites look better IMO as they looked real sharp on the ice.  Not only that, but last night really made me miss the Devils wearing white at home.  I wish the league would go back to white at home full time.  They could reverse it every 10-20 years just to keep it interesting.

Finally, I thought that at least partially the reason why a lot of the new jerseys look awful on people with less than perfect builds was the absence of the bottom stripe.  However, when I saw people even the legit Heritage jerseys who aren't in the best of shape it still looked horrible.  Therefore I am now convinced that it is the material more than the missing stripe that is doing it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, and it's an especially harsh shade of green on those...it really looks bad.  The green shade used on ice looks a million times better.  Did see some Heritages that were a hell of a lot closer to the real thing.     

Knockoffs will never bother me...not everyone has the funds to afford closer to "real deal" jerseys, or even the knowledge to see the differences (even the ones that are obvious to most).  They're in the building and supporting the team and wearing their (sometimes a bit off) Devils colors.  It's all good. 

My stance on the knockoffs is this: wear what you want to wear.  However, just don't try to convince me that they look as good, if not better, than the real thing.

And yeah the green on the knockoffs is almost like a neon green.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I absolutely understand its a way for people to save money and fit in, and hell by all means do it. I dunno though, something about them, probably cause most look very bad, bothers me. Oh well, I'll get over it.

• Like 1

My stance on the knockoffs are now this: wear what you want to wear.  However, just don't try to convince me that they look as good, if not better, than the real thing.

Yeah, this.  As a car enthusiast, you sometimes get a similar vibe from people who insist on "false badging" their cars (to a higher trim than it really is).  I always found that practice odd, because non-enthusiasts aren't going to care anyway, and hardcore enthusiasts will see through the charade very quickly (as your lower trim will likely be missing body effects, have a cheaper interior, have far less under the hood, etc).  So what are you really gaining? 

Just now, jagknife said:

Yeah I absolutely understand its a way for people to save money and fit in, and hell by all means do it. I dunno though, something about them, probably cause most look very bad, bothers me. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Here's one way I've always looked at it...maybe a deeply loved one (possibly one who's even since passed away, like a grandparent) bought someone a really bad knockoff without knowing it (maybe saw the price and thought it was a steal), but out of love and respect for the one who bought it, the person who received the jersey wears it to games.  Because sure, as a jersey enthusiast, I'm not going to pretend some of the truly horrible-looking fakes don't make me cringe a bit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, this.  As a car enthusiast, you sometimes get a similar vibe from people who insist on "false badging" their cars (to a higher trim than it really is).  I always found that practice odd, because non-enthusiasts aren't going to care anyway, and hardcore enthusiasts will see through the charade very quickly (as your lower trim will likely be missing body effects, have a cheaper interior, have far less under the hood, etc).  So what are you really gaining? 

Here's one way I've always looked at it...maybe a deeply loved one (possibly one who's even since passed away, like a grandparent) bought someone a really bad knockoff without knowing it (maybe saw the price and thought it was a steal), but out of love and respect for the one who bought it, the person who received the jersey wears it to games.  Because sure, as a jersey enthusiast, I'm not going to pretend some of the truly horrible-looking fakes don't make me cringe a bit. 

Well sh!t, now I feel like an a$$hole... haha

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First part: I think for a lot of people the fact that it is fully stitched is what makes them feel like the quality is superior.  If they purchase a replica from NHL and get it customized, the NHL Shop (aka Fanatics) is going to send them heat-pressed crap with plastic lettering.  So at least part of the reason is that the NHL/Reebok shot themselves in their own foot.

As for the second part, my brother purchases hockey jerseys of various teams for his 11 year old son as he is getting into this stuff.  Almost all of them are knockoffs and they both legitimately don't know the difference.

First part: I think for a lot of people the fact that it is fully stitched is what makes them feel like the quality is superior.  If they purchase a replica from NHL and get it customized, the NHL Shop (aka Fanatics) is going to send them heat-pressed crap with plastic lettering.  So at least part of the reason is that the NHL/Reebok shot themselves in their own foot.

As for the second part, my brother purchases hockey jerseys of various teams for his 11 year old son as he is getting into this stuff.  Almost all of them are knockoffs and they both legitimately don't know the difference.

That's the other reason I don't get on knockoffs (even really bad ones)...some of the fans showing up might very well be going to their first game, in a jersey that they just got, and haven't been following the team long...they flat out just don't know.  But at least that person is THERE. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's the other reason I don't get on knockoffs (even really bad ones)...some of the fans showing up might very well be going to their first game, in a jersey that they just got, and haven't been following the team long...they flat out just don't know.  But at least that person is THERE. 

I love seeing people there excited for the same team as me. Especially young(ish) people. It's not like it is a secret that the Devils are the bitch of the Met teams, so it's that much more awesome to me when the young people, for whatever reason, align with NJ rather than NYR, PIT, or PHL.

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The problem is, we did quite a few years of sucking already, but the rebuild didn't rally start until like 4-5 years into it. 

Go look at our 2014-15 roster, it's amazing. Count how many guys played for us that year who are playing in the NHL this year.

Here's the list:

Greene (should he be?)

Schneider (should he be?)

Zajac

Henrique

Kinkaid 

Larsson

Merrill (barely)

Severson

I think that's it. 8 guys out of the entire roster. And most were done within 2 years of that team. We've had 4 years of sucking (possibly more if you eliminate 2011-12), and last year we sucked but Taylor Hall carried us. 

Where are all the draft picks from all of those years we sucked? Hischier is fine, #1 overall but in a weak draft year, and fvcking Zacha.

man that's sobering AF.

If they don't figure out a way to bring in some top talent on both sides of the puck and perhaps a stud goalie (if Blackwood isn't the savior) this team will continue to be superbly mediocre for years to come.  They've been treading water for how many years in a row already? Feel like forever already.