2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

6-2 in their last 8.  Lindor showing signs of life.  At least things are trending in the right direction...

Lindor got an important run in today (not a hit...sac fly, but every little bit helps) and how about Capt Unclutch Conforto going the other way with 2 outs to get Jake a TWO runs. I guess for deGrom this counts as a deluge of offense

Still looking up and down the Mets lineup, the averages are still hideous

.500 (ha...deGrom. The franchise)

That's Alonso at .257. That I'm happy to see I was worried he could go south and turn into a Chris Carter type (remember that guy with the Astros/Yankees) I want to see him up above .240 at least

All credit to Diaz for what was essentially a six-out save, but yeesh as ugly a win as you can get otherwise with renewed injury concern for Jake.

This would have been a good time for a Carrasco return but apparently he had a setback they don't want to call a setback and is ruled out till the end of the month.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 5/8/2021 at 7:27 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And on a side note, Wade Miley threw the season’s FOURTH no-hitter last night.  Not even a quarter of the way through through the 2021 season yet. Baseball is feeling more broken by the day.

Ironically it seems like deadening the ball to cut down on home runs has done that at the expense of adding more K's and an even worse batting average.  Not exactly helping the entertainment value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Ironically it seems like deadening the ball to cut down on home runs has done that at the expense of adding more K's and an even worse batting average.  Not exactly helping the entertainment value.

Bet the farm Has, the ol juiced ball will no doubt be making a comeback sooner rather than later (I'm saying by Memorial Day they'll revert back to It)

• Thanks 1

It’s weird...Mets come off a sweep and have now won 7 of 9, yet nothing truly feels “right”.  deGrom having more injury woes just adds to that “all is not well” feeling.

re:  ‘7’ and the Mets’ BA list...last I read, the majors had a collective .232 BA.  So I get the feeling you’ll see your fair share of lineup BAs like this around MLB.

And yeah, like Has said, might as well re-juice the ball.  The game will be a little less broken then at least.  But I don’t see how baseball in 2021 is going to suck any kids into watching...it’s just not a very compelling product.  

Yeah too bad for him that he didn’t go that route much sooner.  He really thought he was going to reach the majors someday...that was just never going to happen.  Even the Mets (who I absolutely could’ve seen giving Tebow anywhere from one AB to a few games, just because) knew that they couldn’t go that far...of course, if Tebow had been playing in AAA again this year, who knows if they would’ve been able to help themselves.  Guy technically never should’ve played above A ball.

The latest example of how much a joke baseball is - Mullins hits what would normally be a popup to shortstop that gets botched into a three-base error because of the shift (and some nice hustle).

Edited by NJDevs4978

50 minutes ago, '7' said:

McNeil goes 2 for 2 and of course gets hurt just basically running. It never ends. Nimmo, Guillorme, Davis, now McNeil. Carrasco and deGrom too now

Cramps apparently.

BTW, on a side note, Matz has given up 28 hits and 5 HR in his last 18.2 IP (18 ER), covering his last four starts.  That sounds much more like the Matz who was just god-awful for most of the year in 2020.  

So Baltimore adds a run because of instead of just taking big cuts like the previous two hitters (with a man on third no less), Galvis dared to take what the Mets were giving him and laid down a perfect bunt to get the run home.  Kudos to a player willing to play old-fashioned SMART baseball.

And there’s Alonso swinging at the first pitch against a guy who clearly has issues throwing strikes.  Another rally-killing DP.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

fvcking McCan’t strikes again...three more years of this...

Man they'd be much better off with a Nido-Mazieka platoon at this point lol, Mazieka seems to be a good luck charm.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They gutted another one out. Have to say I'm impressed. Offenses everywhere around the majors seem to be sputtering. Because of the style of play you see teams have stretches of games where they'd get 1 run on 3 hits...then 1 run on two hits, then 9 runs on 17 hits. You just don't see any sustained stretches. The Mets offense has underachieved terribly...but they have come up with some timely production even if their numbers as a whole are kind of ugly. Also should be kept in mind that we have played the fewest games in the majors (though our runs per game is still pretty awful)

tomorrow is Harvey day. Hopefully we blast him

Edited by '7'

Had a good feeling after that almost home run...just felt like that “closer” was kinda hittable.  Was great to see the Mets pull that one out.

Yeah, just not much offense in the majors right now in general.  Mets have had their share of issues, but they’re far from alone.