GDT 10/30/2022 Blow Jackets @ Devils Please No More Friggin’ Injuries

Colorado Rockies 1976

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is why I’m not sold that he has earned a $9.5m contract after 9 games. I hope he is past it, but the guy used to disappear for weeks at a time. 

FWIW, the circumstances were different when the invisibility stretches would happen…different coaching, different teammates (or young teammates still working on hitting their strides), his teams often falling apart as a group…and of course, he was still developing.  At the very least, he’s following up last year’s career year with a terrific start this year.  It’s not really 9 games…he now has 88 points over his last 80 games.  If he stays healthy and produces at around a PPG for this rest of this season, it’s fair to argue that he’ll have left the disappearing acts behind.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

fair, but wildly different scenarios. Johnny Ohio produced at a near HOF level for several years and hit a wide open market with a bidding war. Bratt is an RFA. 

His deal will come in at 8.5ish I think. 

Actually if you take a closer look at his numbers, he's been kind of up and down; the two seasons prior to last year really weren't all that special.  If he hit UFA coming off those seasons, he probably doesn't get the same kind of deal, from an AAV standpoint (though I'm sure he'd still get a good one...PPG players aren't exactly in major abundance). 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually if you take a closer look at his numbers, he's been kind of up and down; the two seasons prior to last year really weren't all that special.  If he hit UFA coming off those seasons, he probably doesn't get the same kind of deal, from an AAV standpoint (though I'm sure he'd still get a good one...PPG players aren't exactly in major abundance). 

He had one "ok" year in the COVID season (where he was nearly a point per game). He had one "meh" year before that, 58 points in 70 games. But before that he had a 99 point and an 84 point season, and of course immediately after those years he had his 115 point season. 

If anything was the outlier, it's his 2019-2020 "meh" season. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

FWIW, the circumstances were different when the invisibility stretches would happen…different coaching, different teammates (or young teammates still working on hitting their strides), his teams often falling apart as a group…and of course, he was still developing.  At the very least, he’s following up last year’s career year with a terrific start this year.  It’s not really 9 games…he now has 88 points over his last 80 games.  If he stays healthy and produces at around a PPG for this rest of this season, it’s fair to argue that he’ll have left the disappearing acts behind.

That is exactly what I am hoping for. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

He had one "ok" year in the COVID season (where he was nearly a point per game). He had one "meh" year before that, 58 points in 70 games. But before that he had a 99 point and an 84 point season, and of course immediately after those years he had his 115 point season. 

In his "meh" season, he was 13 points above Kyle Palmieri, our leading scorer that season. 

Yikes. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Right now Bratt is the best player on the team. But what’s even more surprising is Jack is not #2, Nico is. And it’s not like Jack has been playing bad at all, but Nico has been fantastic at both ends of the ice so far this season. Add in Dougie looking more and more like himself, and we’re talking about the Devils having potentially 4 elite players. FOUR. How many years did we go without having even one?

Nico is number one. PPG rate, toughest opponents, play offensive and shotdown role, productive with Tomas "i will never use my opportunities" Tatar and rookie Zetterlund, PK, PP, faceoffs, positional defense, finale minutes. His impact in Colorado game  cannot be overestimated. 

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

He's had kind of a weird career...in his bottom four seasons, he's averaged 23 G and 45 A per 82 GP.  In his top four seasons, he's averaged 33 G and 62 A per 82 GP.  That's almost a 30-point difference...and there really hasn't been much rhyme or reason as to what kind of a season he has when...it's not like he had a few developmental seasons and then became this lock to put up big numbers year in and year out; of course it's also not like he's ever been completely non-productive or had a black-hole kind of year, but imagine you sign him to huge money and in two out of the first three seasons, you get the Bottom Four Seasons Gaudreau?  And Columbus wouldn't really have much right to be aggravated should this happen...the track record that's now 8 seasons old suggests that it can go either way in any given season with him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976