Ivan Hlinka killed in car accident

LOTCB

Sad news.

Ivan Hlinka killed in car crash

Ex-Penguins coach Hlinka killed in car accident

Aug. 16, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- Czech Republic national ice hockey team coach, and former Pittsburgh Penguins coach, Ivan Hlinka died Monday after sustaining serious injuries in a car crash, an official said.

Hlinka was taken to a hospital for treatment where he died, Czech national team spokesman Pavel Barta said.

The accident took place near Karlovy Vary, 69 miles west of Prague, at about 11 p.m., Barta said.

Hlinka's car collided with a truck, he said.

"Ivan Hlinka was hospitalized with serious injuries and despite all efforts he didn't survive," said Zdenka Markova, spokeswoman for Karlovy Vary's hospital.

Hlinka died at about 1:30 p.m., she said. He was 54.

Hlinka, who was reappointed Czech coach in May, led the Czech Republic to gold at the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics.

He then coached the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2001, taking them to the third round of the playoffs. He had a 42-32-9 record with the team before being replaced four games into the 2001-02 season.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

it's so surreal. I can't believe it really. Part of me thinks the usual sad bummer guy died stuff -- but then when I think about it being Hlinka - he was a very alive kind of guy. And all the Czech jokes that everyone made when the Pens bit it in the playoffs. How Jagr was supposed to bring him to the Craps and stuff... I mean.. it's just WEIRD!! I dont know sometimes I just can't get my head around existing and not existing...

Isn't this the coach that Jaromir Jagr openly feuded with and ultimately was responsible for his firing? I could swear he was the one in charge when Jaromir Jagr was telling his linemates to ignore all orders from the coach and follow his way more offensive minded lead. This is tragic.

He got Constantine fired for being too defensive-minded. He got Hlinka fired as well, but I don't think it was because Ivan was demanding too much defensive play. Jagr never lasts too long with any coach. In the end, there is always something wrong with them. They expect him to breath the wrong way. They use the wrong hair gel. WTF knows???

You may want to go over to www.hockeyrodent.com, he seems to have a few more details from someone he knows who is a czech reporter.

It seems that the current rumor is that Hlinka was on his way to visit Jagr, who is still undecided as to whether he will actually play in the WC, when he was killed. Yikes.

:( sad indeed