2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Gotta admit, after the largely exhilarating season turned in by the Devils, the Mets are not going to feel like much of a compelling watch.  I know they're both filling up some nice glamour columns but Reyes and Wright Part Deux don't excite me...you just know they won't get it done when the Mets really need them to.  Scherzer and Verlander will scuffle their way through meh-ish seasons as age finally catches up to both.  Senga will continue to walk the ballpark because sorry pal, you're not pitching to AA-types anymore.  And Peterson and Megill will continue to do what they do...occasionally be good but offset with their fair share of bad.  Maybe as the kids get comfortable they'll be able to provide hope and excitement, but the 2023 Mets are playing like the kind of team that you want to see blown up.  There's just not much to suck you in right now, the way they're playing.  

• Like 1

Wasn't the prettiest game, and the offense is still a major concern, but FINALLY they eeked one out against the damn Reds 2-1? Verlander with his first win as a Met.

The team just looks so comatose and hung over from last year (and it's not like a World Series loss hangover...) but they really need to go reel off 4-5 in a row or something like that

13 hours ago, '7' said:

Wasn't the prettiest game, and the offense is still a major concern, but FINALLY they eeked one out against the damn Reds 2-1? Verlander with his first win as a Met.

The team just looks so comatose and hung over from last year (and it's not like a World Series loss hangover...) but they really need to go reel off 4-5 in a row or something like that

The weird part is they went 7-1 on the West Coast before short circuiting…wonder if something happened in SF? More likely they were just due to pay the piper for their pitching woes and the offense went cold again

One big problem is that last year's team (as we often discussed) was NOT built to last.  We were so excited to see them win 101 games and make the playoffs that we all lost sight of the fact that making the postseason wasn't really good enough for that group...due to age and the fact that some guys were clearly not likely to stick around (especially in the rotation), last year needed to be World Series or bust...it's not like the 2022-23 Devils, where it's the just the beginning.  The 2022 Mets didn't represent some beginning of a 4-6 year window.

It kinda feels like they might have already crested.  Who knows what Scherzer is now?  Verlander's had two good starts, but another guy who's hardly a kid.  Senga averages over 6 BB per 9 IP...I can't take a guy like that seriously.  Peterson and Megill are still way too involved.  At least Alvarez and Baty are in the picture.  The Mets have to find out about their kids one way or the other.

At least we're not dealing with THIS crap...this is why NO ONE really had much right to get on the Mets or go the LOL Mets route with Jacob deGrom leaving.  Especially when there was a team dumb enough and arrogant enough to just act like he was all of a sudden not going to suffer frustrating injuries and setbacks in giving him FIVE YEARS:

Rangers' Jacob deGrom: Could miss another three weeks - CBSSports.com 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

41 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Now outscored 34-9 in the first inning this season after Senga coughed up a four spot lol 

And Senga actually didn't walk the ballpark today.  Go figure.

Was obviously all for Buck getting the job and he's not going anywhere soon (and does have time to pull his team out of this, though it's already getting dicey*), but man he's clearly a guy who's never going to take a team all the way.

*Mets will soon be 18-20...sure, it's early, blah blah blah.  But to reach 90 wins, they now have to go 72-52.  82-42 to get to 100.  Doesn't take that long to make your season harder to navigate when you start digging yourselves a hole...the Braves can do it, but they have heart and toughness.  This Mets team is like a fancy glassworks store...it's all very expensive and incredibly easy to break.  They've had zero fight in them since that Braves sweep last year.  

Mets have now been shut out 7 times ALREADY this season.  They were shut out all of 8 times in the 2022 regular season.  

17 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Not a great start, don't the mets usually start hot and get everyone's hopes up before fading by August?

It varies from season to season.  Last year they were very steady, but of course got swept in a key series against the Braves late in the season, which cost them the division, so they made the playoffs as a wild card and then got knocked out in that round.

I don't see any surges coming...different team, especially in the rotation.  

If the Mets’ mission in 2023 was to make sure that I don’t give much of a sh!t about them by June…well done boys, you’re doing a fine job!

Nats score in every single inning other than the second.

Bob Klapisch has to be taking notes for a sequel at this point.  

Another day, another lifeless Mets loss in the making.  About to go 6-16 in their last 22 ballgames.  Oh my.

17 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eventually maybe they’ll call up everyone who can outperform the sad sacks

Funny, that's what Atlanta would do...maybe the Mets can start following the lead of the team that's largely run circles around them since the 90s?

Lesson learned yet again:  money can't buy you championships.  Especially if you're throwing it at the wrong guys.  Not saying that it isn't nice to be able to spend (especially when it comes to keeping the guys you really wanna keep), but drunken sailor spending on anyone and everyone won't get it done.

And the Mets are going to have to go GM hunting at some point.  I get it, they hired Eppler because no one else seemed to want to have anything to do with the Mets at the time.  Could be a different situation now.  

Fair to start wondering what the Mets might be able to get for Robertson before the deadline.  

At least it looks like the kids are all right, too bad the extra inning gimmick is probably gonna ruin their shot at a potentially season-changing win

The Rays' running pretty much stole those two runs in that inning.  Time for the Mets' big bats to actually show up in the clutch

Edited by NJDevs4978

0-2 and Lindor going for the fvcking 3-run HR, figures.  Now Alonso probably hits into a DP

Or not...at least Alonso does come through some of the time, LIKE NOW!  Now THIS could be a season-changing win.  If it isn't, nothing will be.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Yeah nice job pulling out a win, but still under .500 and still just their 7th win in their last 23 games.  Let me see them go on a sustained burst.

If nothing else...Alonso is hitting a fvckton of home runs.  Now has one in three straight, 5 in his last 10 games, and earlier this season hit 9 in a 15-game stretch.  If he remains at 16 dingers by game's end today, he'll be on pace for about 58 over 162 GP.

Escobar finally starting to hit lately...lots of his teammates need to follow suit. 

With Nimmo suddenly falling to under a .300 BA, made me realize how cold he's been...only a .296 OB% and .625 OPS over his last 22 GP.  Also 26 K and just 6 BB during that stretch.  VERY unlike him.

So another win...now 22-23.  When the Mets get to be 10 over .500 with lots of time to make a run...maybe then I'll get fully sucked back in.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If nothing else the fact they beat Tampa after losing to all these sh!t teams is still annoying from the sense they play down to the level of their competition.

Like I said if they don't use Wednesday's game as a springboard, it ain't happening this year.  So far so good after yesterday afternoon, barely.  They have a brutal schedule this month but as we've seen with the Mets, the quality of the opponent is irrelevant.

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If nothing else the fact they beat Tampa after losing to all these sh!t teams is still annoying from the sense they play down to the level of their competition.

Like I said if they don't use Wednesday's game as a springboard, it ain't happening this year.  So far so good after yesterday afternoon, barely.  They have a brutal schedule this month but as we've seen with the Mets, the quality of the opponent is irrelevant.

I don't think it's the bolded.  It's a mediocre, inconsistent team doing mediocre things.  They have issues in the rotation and neither the offense nor the pitching is all that good.  Even with Lindor and Alonso driving in their fair share of runs, they're not getting a whole lot of hits.  It's like I said...let me see them get to 10 over .500 by the end of June and maybe I'll start to believe that they might be able to salvage this season.*

* and I fully get that they're in the WC hunt, but I can't take a team that's not even .500 seriously.