PK Subban new TV show

StarDew

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The guys got personality up the wazzu. I don't have any doubts he won't be great on TV. He already is.

Yeah I didn’t think much of him as a player here, but if he ever wanted to be part of the Devils broadcasting team, no objections here.  

• Like 1

At the risk of turning this into a PK Appreciation Thread, seeing him on TV - it really has opened my eyes to the reality of the last few seasons. A lot of posters here hated PK and couldn't wait to see him gone (can't blame em with that contract). But with a player like PK in that room during that terrible stretch of losing seasons, it probably really helped guys like Jack to stay humble and keep their head up. Without someone with PKs positivity in that room, who knows, maybe Jack gets frustrated with the trajectory and demands a trade. I think he was an invaluable teacher to the young core and we owe him some praise for that at least.

29 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

At the risk of turning this into a PK Appreciation Thread, seeing him on TV - it really has opened my eyes to the reality of the last few seasons. A lot of posters here hated PK and couldn't wait to see him gone (can't blame em with that contract). But with a player like PK in that room during that terrible stretch of losing seasons, it probably really helped guys like Jack to stay humble and keep their head up. Without someone with PKs positivity in that room, who knows, maybe Jack gets frustrated with the trajectory and demands a trade. I think he was an invaluable teacher to the young core and we owe him some praise for that at least.

As far as on the ice goes, PK wasn't good as a Devil; Nashville knew he was on the decline and got out at just the right time.  There was a reason as to why no one traded for him as his contract here was expiring and why no one pursued him as a UFA.  And the slew-foot crap was REALLY hard to defend.  I do remember him sticking up for Jack after a particularly hard hit, which I thought was plenty cool.

Yeah, I think he could've been a help in the locker room.  Maybe a little like Chico with those dreadful 80s Devil squads.  Keeping everyone loose and trying to keep the players from getting too down on themselves as the losses start piling up. 

I doubt Jack was ever demanding a trade this early into his career; for one, he's not signing up for 8 years if he's not feeling pretty good about the direction of the franchise.  For another, 1OAs and top players sometimes have to spend their late teens/early 20s slogging their way through tough seasons (both from a personal and team standpoint).  Not like Jack himself tore it up right from the get-go...he didn't truly turn the corner until his third season (which saw him miss a bunch of games due to injuries), and the team followed suit in his fourth year.  He's only 21 (about to turn 22)...that's not bad, as far as age goes, with your team becoming legit relevant and looking like it should be for quite some time.  I think these guys understand on some level that if you're going to a team that's in the position to take you 1OA to begin, most of the time that team is going to need a few years to properly build around you (and for other prospects to develop along with you). 

If the Devils were still floundering a few years into his current contract, yeah, I could see Jack then starting to chirp some.  Once you're 5-6 years into your career, yeah, gotta think a guy like him needs to see some organizational progress.  Fortunately he's already seen it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

46 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I don't blame people for not wanting to watch him play, he just didn't have it anymore, but everyone complaining about the money made no sense. It was almost all already paid by the last season and fans didn't have to write the check anyway. The cap space he used wasn't going to go to anyone else that year or the year before. They just wanted to complain.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't blame people for not wanting to watch him play, he just didn't have it anymore, but everyone complaining about the money made no sense. It was almost all already paid by the last season and fans didn't have to write the check anyway. The cap space he used wasn't going to go to anyone else that year or the year before. They just wanted to complain.

Yeah even though I didn't like his level of play when he was here, the contract was never an issue at all.  The Devils had more than enough cap space to take on the hit and his money didn't stop the Devils from making any other moves.  His contract was not good value in the slightest, but it was NEVER an albatross.