2023 New York J-E-T-S season thread

NJDevs4978

Apparently the Jets didn't want to be on Hard Knocks but because they didn't have a rookie coach/QB and haven't been on it in a few years the NFL can just make them do it.  Lame, especially when these codicils never seem to apply to bluebloods like the Giants, Steelers, Patriots, etc...teams that have never been on HK and won't do it over their dead bodies.

Edited by NJDevs4978

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently the Jets didn't want to be on Hard Knocks but because they didn't have a rookie coach/QB and haven't been on it in a few years the NFL can just make them do it.  Lame, especially when these codicils never seem to apply to bluebloods like the Giants, Steelers, Patriots, etc...teams that have never been on HK and won't do it over their dead bodies.

Should Hard Knocks continue to even be a thing?  Do people still even care about it?  I kinda feel like the novelty wore off some time ago.

But yeah, if a team's already done it fairly recently, they shouldn't be forced to do it again.  I'm completely with you there!

I honestly don't know who it's really hurt, as much as the Jets themselves may kvetch over being a part of it.  Were the Cowboys in some of their sh!tty years hurt by HK or were they hurt by being a sh!tty team?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/is-there-a-hard-knocks-curse-history-of-how-nfl-teams-have-fared-after-appearing-on-hbo-show/ar-AA1dMhxC

But again it's fvcking lame that they say if you were in the playoffs you can't do it.  Like it's not a big deal if you're rebuilding but if you won last year then you don't have to deal with it?  fvck off, Roger.  Sad that the Jets are the only team who did HK that actually went as far as the conference championship lol

I sure wouldn't want to do the in-season HK they've had the last couple years though, that could really be a distraction.  The Colts and Cards both fell apart while doing that which didn't help lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

Sean Payton for some reason (probably jealousy over all the attention we're getting) decided to take a blowtorch to the Jets, first throwing Hackett under the bus for one of the worst coaching jobs he's ever seen - which you kind of expect, since he's invested in proving the problem with Russ wasn't Russ, and quite frankly Hackett was a poor head coach - but you never really see anyone, even Belichick criticize fellow coaches.  He better prove he's right and get Russ back to a HOF level if you're gonna mouth off this much, though.

But then he's also going off about the Hard Knocks thing and saying how it's disrupted teams before and bringing up comps to the 2000 Redskins who signed every aging star under the sun...Sean stfu, the Jets didn't even want to go on Hard Knocks in the first place.  It was the fvcking league trying to milk out all the juice from our getting Rodgers, being in NY, etc and I don't want to hear the HIGHEST PAID COACH IN THE LEAGUE start talking about other teams' big name stars. 

People act like the Jets are attention-seekers just because they got Rodgers, as opposed to getting Rodgers...because they actually think it'll help them win?  We got so much sh!t during the Rex years for Rex talking, who's talking now?  Joe and Saleh sure aren't, the players really aren't.  Maybe the backlash against the Rex Jets wasn't all because Rex had a big mouth.

It's amazing how jealous everyone else is when the Jets get attention, heaven forbid we - for once - don't get attention because of losing or some fvcking sideshow off the field.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's amazing how jealous everyone else is when the Jets get attention, heaven forbid we - for once - don't get attention because of losing or some fvcking sideshow off the field.

I always prefer any attention paid to the Jets is spent pointing and laughing at them, but I won’t sh!t on them for trying to win. It’s the name of the game. Plus the Fins-Jets rivalry has been irrelevant for far too long; I want the hatred on both sides to get back to 80’s levels. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah at least the Jets-Fins rivalry is an actual rivalry where both teams have stuck it to the other when it mattered, and not a total one-sided sh!tshow like Mets-Braves.  

Black Friday this year too; hope that game has big playoff and division implications for us both. 

Edited by MadDog2020

• 3 weeks later...

As a Pats fan, it's kinda funny to be fully on the outside looking in...but hard to imagine the Pats finishing higher than last place this season.  All three East teams are just better.

Get the feeling this will be the final year of the BB era...I don't think it will be a firing, as much as it will be a mutual parting...no reason for it end any uglier than it already will.  I have no idea what direction the Pats will go in after that, but I think this team is going to be bad for quite some time...and that's how it goes.  We saw the Devils be anywhere from championship level to solidly competitive...and then they weren't.  For a long time.  I can see articles being written 5-6 years now about how far the Pats have fallen from their "glory days", but at least there were glory days...two decades of them.  But that being said, I think it's going to be ugly for quite a while in Foxborough.  The Jets, Dolphins, Bills...it's flat-out their times now, right now.  

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well guess Dalvin Cook signed after all lol, a one year deal. 

$7 mil base, up to $1.6 in incentives. I wanted the Fins to sign Cook, but the $$ was too much. This division is gonna be thunderdome this year.

Edited by MadDog2020

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No chance. He wants Shula’s record.

I mean the final year of BB's time in NE.  Supposedly Bob Kraft is getting restless, and I don't see how BB is going to sneak this team into the playoffs.  He's a long way off from Shula...30 wins behind him.  

BB is also 71 years old...how much longer can he keep going?

I think Shula's record is safe for now.

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mean the final year of BB's time in NE.  Supposedly Bob Kraft is getting restless, and I don't see how BB is going to sneak this team into the playoffs.  He's a long way off from Shula...30 wins behind him.  

BB is also 71 years old...how much longer can he keep going?

I think Shula's record is safe for now.

I think Belichick will coach until he drops dead. The man is a psycho, not unlike Lou.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I think Belichick will coach until he drops dead. The man is a psycho, not unlike Lou.

That plus the longer he doesn’t win post Brady the more he’s going to want to prove it wasn’t just about Brady, especially if Kraft is the Modell to his Paul Brown and lets him go.

Of course he still beats us in his sleep till proven otherwise, at least since the Fitzmagic walkoff winner. Jets-Pats is only marginally better than Mets-Braves as a ‘rivalry’, solely based on 2002 and 2010, since we actually took a bite out of them both years. The rest of the time it’s mostly been Bill running up the score on us with a diabolical smirk and 2010 was a long time ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I think he'll take on one last HC gig after NE.  This is a make-or-break year for him up in NE...let's face it, he rode Brady for a long long time (who covered up for a lot of meh defenses, especially after the first SB wins), and he's made his share of questionable personnel decisions in recent years...and of course, bringing back Puppetricia and Joe Judge and having them become this two-headed OC monster...that looks like and feels like the move of a guy who's running out of answers.  I already mentioned it but I think Kraft is losing patience...if the Pats miss the playoffs and finish with another losing record, I think BB and the Pats simply part ways.  I think they'll try to do it with both sides taking the high road (it was obviously an incredibly productive partnership), but we'll see if it winds up getting ugly.

Will some other team scoop BB up?  I have no doubts about that.  Then we'll find out if he just needed a change of scenery and still has some magic left, or his time in the NFL is simply up.  

• Like 1

Jets absolutely needed Dalvin Cook. Hall will not be the same back, maybe all year. What he showed early in his rookie season is something even the best conditioned guys (Barkley) take a long time to recapture. With Cook I'm glad we can sort of spread the workload around a bit and bring Hall more and more into the offense as he shows himself capable and healthy

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, '7' said:

And just like that...Rodgers is done. Here comes the achilles news. O line looked like trash pass blocking and one rather harmless looking tackle...and done.

Usually they’re non contact injuries…this looked more like a high ankle sprain or a broken foot, both of which would be bad enough - especially with the first six weeks on our schedule

Definitely shades of 1999 though

Edited by NJDevs4978

Rodgers listed as questionable FWIW.

Not great for the NFL is Aaron is out for a significant stretch.  His coming to the Jets was one of the most compelling stories of the offseason.  His presence alone figured to make the Jets must-watch football.

..Well xrays negative but it didnt look like a break. Still what I worry about is structural damage...I think there's definitely something there. This season...you cant have Zach Wilson as your QB. You just cant with the rest of the team where they are. It holds them back

If he comes back this year, Jets could be too far out by then. They aint winning tonight and they are not walking into Dallas with Wilson and winning

Edited by '7'