2023 New York Mets off-season thread

NJDevs4978

So another bargain-bin signing:  Sean Manaea for 2 years, $14.5 million per year, Opt-Out after the 2024 season.

He both started and relieved last season, but obviously the hope is that he can be the pitcher he was from May 22-on:

90 IP, 73 H, 38 R, 34 ER, 26 BB, 96 K, 3.40 ERA (3.04 FIP), .218/.283/.325 against (only allowed 6 HR for this sample).  His numbers were even better once he joined the rotation in September.

At least this signing feels like it has some degree of upside.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Marcus Stroman to the Yankees for 2-37, guess he finally got to go to the team he wanted to go to four years ago, albeit not at anywhere near the bag he’d hoped for midseason

His act is going to get real old there, real fast.  Especially since he’s not nearly as good as HE thinks he is.  Guy absolutely stunk up the joint as last season wound down; he put up an 8.29 ERA over his final 11 appearances (9 starts).

• 3 weeks later...

So Ottavino opts of his old deal to hit the free agent market...

only to re-sign with Mets for less money on a new, one-year deal.   His option was good for $6.75 million, and he wound up taking $4.5 million to re-sign.

Some might call that "bad business sense".  

• Shocking 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So Ottavino opts of his old deal to hit the free agent market...

only to re-sign with Mets for less money on a new, one-year deal.   His option was good for $6.75 million, and he wound up taking $4.5 million to re-sign.

Some might call that "bad business sense".  

He needs to look for another agent.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah odds are he wanted a two-year deal and nobody was willing to give it to him at 38, with his career of being up and down (albeit he's been mostly up in his two years here). 

Yeah he’s just up and down enough (and old enough) that he and his agent probably should have read the market better than they did.

I actually don’t mind the signing one bit. Especially at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, CR! I'll admit here I haven't followed the Mets, or baseball in general, for quite some time. I'm not sure how much I'll contribute to this thread going forward but I hope the OG crew is still around (CR = confirmed, Hasan?, 7?). Hope of all ya'll are well! 

Let's Go Devils and Let's Go Mets! 

Yeah we’re all still here nmig.  Last season was obviously a lousy one, and this offseason wasn’t much to write about…even though I understand why the Mets didn’t go on another insane spending spree.  

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Mets to Shut Down Senga due to Shoulder Strain

I’m not a Mets fan, but I was sorry to see this pop up in my YouTube feed.

This just comes with the territory of being a Met fan.

That being said, baseball players have really become delicate lil’ creatures.  Coupled with the game having turned into a HR/K/BB derby, the product is really becoming harder and harder to embrace.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I just shook my head and said, Mets.

Same.  It never comes as a shock anymore.

I've brought this up many times, but I love all of the arm-babying that goes on...and how NONE of it has made the slightest bit of difference; if anything, pitchers are getting hurt now more than ever.

Former Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone made it clear that he thinks all of these over-precautions are absurd, and that guys should be THROWING.  Now they get protected in the minors where they often barely average 5 innings per start (if that much), then get called up and are expected to pitch 6+ innings and suddenly the injuries start.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Totally makes sense, same with hockey players who came right into NHL from college, they don't have the stamina.

What makes it even more annoying in baseball is that there's so many smug "by the book" types, when it comes to various aspects of baseball.  And I just wonder why NO ONE challenges these guys when it comes to any of this stuff.

I remember when Luis Rojas was managing the Mets, he took deGrom out of a game due to too many "up downs".  Basically he had stood up and sat down too much due to having to bat, and had spent time on the basepaths.  All I could think was "Are you fvcking SERIOUS?!"  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What makes it even more annoying in baseball is that there's so many smug "by the book" types, when it comes to various aspects of baseball.  And I just wonder why NO ONE challenges these guys when it comes to any of this stuff.

I remember when Luis Rojas was managing the Mets, he took deGrom out of a game due to too many "up downs".  Basically he had stood up and sat down too much due to having to bat, and had spent time on the basepaths.  All I could think was "Are you fvcking SERIOUS?!"  

Part of the problem is that not enough pitchers fight to stay in games in which they’ve a chance to win.  One of the things I appreciate about Gerrit Cole is that he wants to work as deep into each game as possible because he believes he gives the Yankees the best chance to win.  Most pitchers today have had it drilled into them so often that they shouldn’t pitch more 5-6 innings per start that they don’t think twice when their manager takes the ball from them.

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Part of the problem is that not enough pitchers fight to stay in games in which they’ve a chance to win.  One of the things I appreciate about Gerrit Cole is that he wants to work as deep into each game as possible because he believes he gives the Yankees the best chance to win.  Most pitchers today have had it drilled into them so often that they shouldn’t pitch more 5-6 innings per start that they don’t think twice when their manager takes the ball from them.

Yeah, not many bulldogs anymore.  Go your 6 innings and you "did your job".  They've all been programmed to think that way.

You have managers that overthink constantly too..."AAAAAA!  Can't have my starter face a lineup for a third time, even if he's cruising!  Gotta go to the bullpen!"

And of course, a set-up guy can retire the side in the 8th on less than 10 pitches, but nope, if you're ahead, gotta go right to your closer.  When will these dipsh!t managers learn that not all innings are equally stressful?  Maybe a second inning after an easy first winds up being less taxing than just one 20-25 pitch inning another night.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, not many bulldogs anymore.  Go your 6 innings and you "did your job".  They've all been programmed to think that way.

And starting pitchers make more than ever. Work less, get paid more. It’s a joke. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And starting pitchers make more than ever. Work less, get paid more. It’s a joke. 

And they get hurt CONSTANTLY!  Guys like in-their-prime Randy Johnson, Scherzer and Verlander, all of whom could pile up the innings, even later into their careers...absolutely a dying breed.

deGrom was the best pitcher that I ever saw in terms of pure dominance, but the guy might not pitch 100 innings in a season again, let alone 200.  And he managed 200+ IP only three times in his career.  Randy Johnson did that 14 times, Verlander 12, and Scherzer 6.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And they get hurt CONSTANTLY!

They get hurt so much because they’re babied from the time they pick up a ball. It’s a systemic thing now in the game. The old school guys THREW, and threw a lot and they were used to it. These pu$$ies whine if they have to go more than five innings. And how about the no-hitter being relegated to a non-entity? ‘Oh you have a perfect game going Clayton Kershaw? Well, too bad you’re coming out in the 6th’. And does Kershaw tell his manager to eat sh!t like any pitcher SHOULD in such a scenario? Nah, he bitches out like the pu$$y he is. Baseball used to be a great sport. It’s ruined now. 

• Like 1