A Little Something for Discussion

Alias

I've seen that before.  It's an ironic piece, no?

(Determining whether it's irony-ironic or Alanis-ironic is left as an exercise for the reader.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it ironic that alanis-ironic isnt irony at all? Just bad luck?>

Where were African Americans mentioned in this story?

Right, all the affirmative action and additional loans/aid for minorities is just meant to keep them down! That's exactly it!

This piece is very good and demonstrates where the conservative movement has continually failed.

i see what the author is saying, but it hasnt been just liberals who have passed important legislation in this country throughout the years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why this article is so dumb and the only reaction i gave to it was "Stupid Story"...

Don, unlike you, I cannot afford during my workday to sit and type those inflated posts like you do. I'm also not on this site 24/7 like you. I have important things to take care of, which I'm sure you'd appreciate it knowing how much you like the police.

My posts are in and out...........you don't like it, tough, you don't exactly impress me.

And I call a spade a spade.

That's quite an insinuation there Jimmy.... I'd show you my employee evaluations if I had any. The reason I don't have any? Because I'm considered a work-a-holic and have been promoted so often I'm never in one place long enough to get an evaluation. Not one boss has ever questioned me posting on njdevs during the day, and if one did I'd rip them a new one considering the time I've put in on weekends and evenings and not charged a dime of the overtime I coulda claimed.

And my point was that if you come into a thread where people are debating a topic and you write "That's stupid" you're not really contributing anything.

BTW - just so that you are aware - my goal in life is NOT to impress you. :P

i see what the author is saying, but it hasnt been just liberals who have passed important legislation in this country throughout the years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why this article is so dumb and the only reaction i gave to it was "Stupid Story"...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but the author wasn't passing it off as an unbiased and completely disinterested account of what the various political parties have done. As a piece of political propaganda I think it works very well- it's humorous, well written and pithy. As well as biased, which is a prerequisite for political writing.

The fact it reveled in its biasness(probably not a real word) is the reason I decided not to rail against it

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hm. I think it might just be 'revel in its bias'. To be biased, to hold bias...ah the English langauge.

It's interesting.

I wonder how much of it has been because of Nader. Championed a ton of automotive safety issue and been a strong consumer advocate since the 1960's. May I mention he advised a locked door between the airplane cabin and cockpit before 9/11, or will it go ignored yet again?

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. to fix coffee. He fills his pot with good, clean water because America has always had an abundance of clean water - due mainly to the fact that we're a young nation with a relatively low population density, but some liberal took the credit for it anyway.

He takes his medication with his first swallow. The drugs are roughly 50% more expensive than anywhere else on the planet because some liberal forced government regulation down the throats of drug companies... and btw, the drugs work in less-regulated countries as well. All but $10 of their cost was paid by some other individual, because some liberal believed that stealing from one person to give to another was a good way to get some extra votes.

Bacon and eggs today, he decides. The bacon is safe because consumers wouldn't buy unsanitary food once some bright entreprenuer offered them a better, safer and newer way to do things.

Once he

Edited by Tretyak 20

Nice try, Tretyak, but if you wanted to imitate the original piece,

Maybe he didn't want to imitate the original piece :noclue:

You're right. Why author a thoughtful, intelligent commentary when it's so much easier to bash the other side without adding any ideas of your own? :rolleyes:

At 6 A.M., Tretyak awoke to fix coffee. He wished that instead of a machine, he had a servant like in the good old days, but a machine was more efficient anyway. As the machine whirred and buzzed, he began to feel a tingle at the back of his neck. Efficiency, he thought, hallowed be thy name.

He always takes his medication with his first swallow; today it was a passage out of Atlas Shrugged that he'd have to choke down, reminding him that poor people are stupid and get what they deserve. He then wished the government would stop regulating corporations. If he had believed in God, he'd say a little prayer, hoping those poor conglomerates can go back to unreglulated mania.

Bacon and eggs, he decides today. He's lucky he had an education and has a high-paying job, or else he wouldn't be able to pay for the bypass surgery that'll probably be required somewhere down the line with such breakfasts. But he reminds himself he deserved that education because he was a better person.

Once he's outside, he inhales clean air, because he lives far away from anywhere where there would be dirty air. Then he chuckles about people who do have to live in polluted areas. Surely the corporations will begin to clean those areas up on their own initiative, because it's in their self-interest to do so, and self-interest rules all. Ah, self-interest. Tretyak begins asking what his self-interest is as though it were a mantra.

He gets in his expensive SUV and reminds himself that global warming is a fraud. Not only that, but unsubstantiated human waste is the goal of humanity itself. How else can we let the glorious human spirit out!

Okay, I can't go any further with this. Regardless, Tretyak's post reeks of the taxation-is-fraud, all-government-is-waste, Libertarianism that will become a legitimate movement in twenty years. The fallacies of this thinking are many, and the assumptions it rests on incredibly outmoded.

Edited by Triumph

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.