Hockey movies

Fidgetess

To gear up for the upcoming AHL season, my friends and I wanted to have a hockey movie marathon (plus I want to build my hockey movie collection), but we're having some trouble coming up with some titles. We have so far:

Slapshot

Slapshot 2

Miracle

Mystery, Alaska

We're looking for a couple that we haven't seen, but we can't think of any. Anyone know some others that I could get my hands on?

Les Boys 1, 2 and 3. Haven't seen 4 yet to recommend it, but the first three were hilarious.

http://www.rogersvideo.ca/movie.asp?mid=21423

But if you want to see an awesome hockey story:

http://www.cinemamontreal.com/aw/cdva.aw/p...ilms__(vf).html

The former is dubbed in English, the latter has subtitles.

The first are comedy movies about a garage league team.

The second is a short TV-miniseries about an NHL team in Quebec City. It follows the life of a super-star player as he breaks into the league. He deals with jealous veterans, being given too much too soon, and high expectations by the fans.

To gear up for the upcoming AHL season, my friends and I wanted to have a hockey movie marathon (plus I want to build my hockey movie collection), but we're having some trouble coming up with some titles.  We have so far:

Slapshot

Slapshot 2

Miracle

Mystery, Alaska

We're looking for a couple that we haven't seen, but we can't think of any.  Anyone know some others that I could get my hands on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Slapshot 2 is just not the same. I like the other movies that was mentioned. I still watch the Mighty Duck movies, eventhough im coming up on 21, in a couple of weeks.

I didn't like Les Boys 1, but will give 2-4 a shot. I mean, it was OK, but one thing that really killed it was it was dubbed into English, even on DVD! How is it that there's a DVD where you can't watch the film in its original language? If they could translate the movie for dubbing, they could translate it even more easily for subtitles. That was just plain dumb.

Haven't seen Youngblood. Miracle was OK. Mystery, Alaska was good. Slap Shot I watch constantly, Slap Shot 2 is a travesty.

I found these others, but they might be hard to find unless you have Netflix or something:

Hockey Night (1984)

Paul Shapiro directs this Canadian homage to the country's greatest sport: hockey. In a small town, an eager coach (Rick Moranis) tries to build a first-rate boy's team that will stand up to squads from neighboring communities. But truly gifted athletes are scarce, and he can't find any who are up to the task. That is, until he comes across a teenager (Megan Follows) who can stop any puck in its tracks. The problem? The wanna-be goalie is a girl.

from Netflix, given 2 1/2 stars out of 5

King of Hockey (1936)

I had the feeling that Warner Bros. was trying to showcase some up and coming stars near the start of their careers: both Dick Purcell and Wayne Morris started to get onscreen billing in 1936, and a hockey sports drama was chosen because Purcell was on the Fordham University hockey team and had experience playing the game. His hockey sequences look pretty good, but Morris looked very uncoordinated as the goalie. With the exception of Max Hoffman Jr., who you never see playing very much, the other players were hired from the University of Southern California and Loyola University hockey teams, making the action on the ice look very good indeed. The female leads, lovely Anne Nagel and her cute kid sister, Ann Gilles, were easy to enjoy, and the plot, involving gamblers trying to get Purcell to throw games, was the passable but predictable. Hockey fans will like this film, if only for action.

from imdb.com, given 5.9 stars out of 10

The Mystery of the Million Dollar Hockey Puck (1975)

Could there be a more "Canadian" way to smuggle a fortune in stolen diamonds than inside of a hollowed out hockey puck? Well neither can I. And evidently, neither could the writers of this great little piece of Canadiana.

When a pair of bungling burglars mistakenly lose said item, it falls into the hands of two adventurous Montreal urchins. Now to get the darn thing to the proper authorities before the evil-doers can catch them. The climatic scene alone, which takes place at the old Montreal Forum arena (during a Canadiens game, no less) makes seeking out this little treasure well worth your while.

taken from imdb.com, given 5.8 stars out of 10

I'd go on, but they keep getting more and more obscure. I doubt Netflix has all three of those, probably has one or two. Here's a link for 777 more matches: http://imdb.com/find?more=tt;nr=1;q=hockey

Strange Brew

I know that it is really not a hockey movie, but it is a fun, stupid movie that I love.

STRANGE BREW!!!!!

You're right.. it's a stretch to make a hockey relation - but it is about the Great White North.

bob.jpg

(Actually, "Bob and Doug" are a parody of all the stereotypes Americans have of Canadians)

[bob = Dave Thomas, the pharmacist friend from "Grace Under Fire", Doug = Rick Moranis from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and "Ghostbusters"]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Sheeps: I borrowed Les Boys from a friend - it's french. So I guess they did two releases - one french with no english subtitles and the other english dubbed with no subtitles. Seems stupid - why two production lines? Why not make one DVD with your choice of audio language and your choice of subtitles?

But was that your primary reason for not liking it? Or did you just not find it funny?

How weird I thought it was those two guys from SCTV... :unsure:

People know about Strange Brew - if they don't it's an age thing! I keep meaning to joke back to your references of late :P You know I still think Great White North is some of Rush's best work :P

And C'mon Bob & Doug aren't THAT far off the (Ontarian) mark, you've GOT to admit, eh? I confess it dilutes to a different (though similar) species errr... stereotype as you head West... Maritimes are the only sane bunch of yus! ;)

Edited by Pepperkorn

Guys, I *OWN* Strange Brew. And on DVD. Yeah.

Why didn't I like Les Boys? I don't know. Like I said, the English dubbing probably killed it. If I could watch it in French with subtitles I'd probably like it a lot. I liked the story, but the jokes didn't translate when dubbed. I absolutely hate dubbing and that's one of the reasons I love DVD's, because it's so easy to throw on additional language and subtitling tracks so they usually do it.

The best part about Canadian Bacon was all the hidden jokes. There were some that were not very hidden, such as the Toronto being the capital of Canada or Ottawa with its arctic-like exterior.

There was one great one, though, that you pretty much would have to be from the Western New York / Southern Ontario area to understand. At one point, they're in Lake Ontario and they show a shot of "home," supposedly Buffalo, with a bunch of industrial plants puffing out smoke into the sky. The joke is, of course, that "home, sweet home" aint actually so sweet. The irony of the joke is that it's actually Hamilton, Ontario that they're showing!

My favorite part is when the Americans with their truck full of anti-Canada slogans ("Canada sucks", "Canadians: Eat my Shorts!", "Canucks bite!"), they get stopped by the cop (Dan Akroyd) who says:

"You know, with this truck here, you are likely offending a great number of Canadians. You probably don't want to piss these people off. I'm sure that a lot of people will be very, very upset with you for what you have written on your truck. And I am of course referring to the fact that the truck is not bilingual."

So they spray paint the french equivelants on the truck ("Canadians: Mangez mes brefs!") and drive off.

Edited by Don