JR's could lead to his retirement

sw61776

By Tim Panaccio

Inquirer Staff Writer

The next 48 hours could be unnerving for Jeremy Roenick.

And by the time the weekend has passed, the Flyers center should have a good idea whether his 16-year NHL career is over.

Today and tomorrow in Montreal, noted neurologist Karen Johnston will examine Roenick extensively to determine how much damage his brain has suffered from concussions.

Roenick, who says he has had 10 of them since coming into the league in 1988-89, is worried that he might be advised to retire.

"I probably won't know anything until Saturday, maybe later," Roenick said from Phoenix late Wednesday. "I'm bringing some stuff for her and I have a bunch of stuff that has been sent to different people. She's handling everything on her own. She's going to run me through two days of tests."

Johnston is chief of the neurotrauma unit of Montreal General Hospital and on the staff of McGill University's department of neurology and neurosurgery. Among her hockey patients are Eric Lindros, Mike Richter and Scott Stevens.

Lindros sat out the 2000-01 season as a Flyer, partially as a result of Johnston's recommendation that he take at least six months off to recover fully from multiple concussions suffered during the 1999-2000 season. Lindros was traded to the New York Rangers in August 2001.

Stevens, a member of the New Jersey Devils, missed most of last season after Johnston diagnosed post-concussion syndrome. Richter, another concussion victim, retired from the Rangers last fall on her advice.

Johnston wants to examine X-rays, MRIs and reports dating as far back as Feb. 14, when Roenick's left jaw was shattered when struck by a shot from the Rangers' Boris Mironov in New York.

Although he returned to play in late March, Roenick contends that his health has deteriorated since May 15, when, he says, he suffered another concussion after being slammed against the glass by Tampa Bay's Fredrik Modin in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals. Since then, he says, he has suffered various symptoms of a concussion, including persistent, intense headaches.

Flyers general manager Bob Clarke says that Roenick passed his physical at the end of last season, and as that as far as the team is concerned, he is healthy until proof otherwise is provided.

The Flyers do not contest the February concussion in New York. By Roenick's count, however, he later incurred two more concussions. He was struck by a puck in practice last spring by a shot from Mark Recchi, and suffered the Modin hit against the glass in Philadelphia.

So that's three concussions last season, by his count, and the battering likely will render him unable to play this season if the NHL lockout is lifted.

If Roenick is medically determined to be unable to play, he will be entitled to his $7.5 million salary this season. Under the terms of the expired collective-bargaining agreement, all injured players from last season must be paid, even during the lockout.

There are more than a dozen highly paid players - including Ed Belfour, Zdeno Chara, Saku Koivu and Alexander Mogilny - who are undergoing medical rehabilitation from last season and will be tested to see whether they qualify to be paid for this season.

Roenick's primary symptom - persistent headaches - is identical to what bothered Lindros in 2000 after he was hit by Stevens in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals. In 1999-2000, Lindros suffered four concussions. It's not unreasonable to assume that Johnston will recommend - at the very least - that Roenick take six months off to recover. She could also tell him to retire.

Regardless of what happens this weekend, visits to the hospital won't be over for Roenick, who has been losing his voice since July. He will undergo surgery to remove a polyp on his vocal cords sometime in the coming month.

"I got a lump in the throat," he acknowledged this week.

Doctors in Phoenix plan to biopsy the polyp. Roenick said they told him it appeared to be benign.

"It's from stress and overuse of my voice," Roenick said, forcing a laugh. Everyone knows Roenick loves to talk.

"I've just got to get through the weekend and see how it all goes," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philly.com

If he kept his yap shut maybe his throat would be in better shape. I hope he is out soon...he bets on sports...Rose gone why not JR gone? Because JR thinks he is entitle to do whatever he wants with his outside life. btw...did JR didn't look all that head achey while working with the ESPN boys during the World Cup???

ehh I'm an evil person -- he'll "retire" and make an amazing come back once the league is back in decent shape. :rolleyes: PUHLEASE! and I was just as "unfair" to Stevens during his charming ailment so don't think I'm just biased against the schmuck. I have no patience for neurological disorders -- get over it :angry: it's all in your head! :rofl::unsure:... all in your head... :unsure: get it? :smilegah: that was a joke ...

Edited by Pepperkorn

I do wish him well.. sorta (I can't help it :P)... but in the process his retirement means an INSTANT job at ESPN and that would be disastrous !!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a nightmare! And I thought that Steve Levy and Darren Pang were bad enough. I will have to use my MUTE button more often if JR gets on.

I do wish him well.. sorta (I can't help it :P)... but in the process his retirement means an INSTANT job at ESPN and that would be disastrous !!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a nightmare! And I thought that Steve Levy and Darren Pang were bad enough. I will have to use my MUTE button more often if JR gets on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You didn't have it muted already? :P

In all seriousness, I pray that if JR DOES get a job at ESPN, they give him some sort of training beforehand. He's not the worst in the world, but he really needs to stop screaming and moaning all the time. It's annoying on the ears and makes my TV make funky noises.

You didn't have it muted already?  :P

In all seriousness, I pray that if JR DOES get a job at ESPN, they give him some sort of training beforehand. He's not the worst in the world, but he really needs to stop screaming and moaning all the time. It's annoying on the ears and makes my TV make funky noises.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't mute him I NEED the sound for recaps *groan*

(believe me CHico has the SAME "just STOP" Reactions though :P

honestly why do u guys hate jr so much. maybe its cause jr is one of my fav players, but i find him hillarious and such a great rah rah guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see, sometimes people are going to have mixed feelings for a guy who calls their team "boring" and says he would never play for them...

I have closed captioning on my TV, but I NEED the sound for recaps.. I don't type and watch.. I type and listen to the announcers to know what's going on... hit rewind on TiVo and then SEE what happened ... it's why I hate ESPN so bad... bad announcers who can't call a play to save the city they're broadcasting in :P

... I'm having the same problem with Jerry Lawler now for RAW Recaps .... *ugh*.. but at least for wrestling I can feed off the commentary of my minions :evil:

I've also hated Roenick ever since he went to Phoenix... and as tired as I am about overpaid NHL Players... NHL Players who piss about how boring the game is that's paying them $5 million a year to PLAY IT.. it's just unacceptable !

Edited by CRASHER

honestly why do u guys hate jr so much. maybe its cause jr is one of my fav players, but i find him hillarious and such a great rah rah guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see, sometimes people are going to have mixed feelings for a guy who calls their team "boring" and says he would never play for them...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh c'mon, he was just towing the company line there. I'd imagine if he was playing for the Devils he'd say the same about the Flyers. He had plenty good to say during the WC about the Devils.

EDIT: :rant:

Edited by sammyk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh c'mon, he was just towing the company line there. I'd imagine if he was playing for the Devils he'd say the same about the Flyers. He had plenty good to say during the WC about the Devils.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

o...he said that?

well its kinda funny cause if u hear him talk about martin brodeur and scott niedermayer he holds HUGE regard for them.

i think brodeur, niedermayer, thornton, and floppa are the 4 guys he really respects. if u ever ask him the no.1 athlete in the world he always says floppa without hesitation. and without hesitation he says brodeur is the best goalie. whenever he is talking about goalies and them playing good he will always say "they're just playing like marty brodeur against us"

anyways. i'm a big jr fan. him and cechmanek were the main reasons i was ever a fan of them. i'm still kinda one of them, but not as much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, if he can "tow the company line", then why can't I dislike him for it? It's called rivarly, sammy.

Oh c'mon, he was just towing the company line there.  I'd imagine if he was playing for the Devils he'd say the same about the Flyers.  He had plenty good to say during the WC about the Devils.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, if he can "tow the company line", then why can't I dislike him for it? It's called rivarly, sammy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who said you can't dislike him for it?