Settlement is expected to come by Wednesday

DevilMinder

By ED MORAN, morane@phillynews.com

July 11, 2005

Negotiations between the NHL and the players union continued through the weekend in an effort to bring the 298-day lockout to an end and ensure there will be a hockey season beginning in the fall.

According to several reports through last week, the details of a 6-year deal have been agreed upon and attorneys from both the league and NHLPA are going over the document to be sure it is exactly the way they want it. An announcement that an agreement has been reached could come as early as this morning, but it is more likely to happen Wednesday, sources have said.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to some sources, the league wants to hold off until Wednesday when the baseball All-Star Game is completed and before MLB play resumes.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has called an executive committee meeting for today in New York so league officials have an opportunity to examine the deal.

Some of the details of the deal have been reported. Some of the more important points include:

All of this damn anticipation means A) there's going to be a whopper of a letdown if this thing somehow gets torpedoed or B) it's almost going to feel anticlimactic after ALL the anticipation when they finally get a deal done. I'll feel more like breathing a sigh of relief than celebrating :P

It's been a long time in coming and I sincerely hope it get finalized very soon, but inside I have this feeling that it won't get ratified by the players because it get hung up on one point or for some strange reason the owners won't go along with it.

It would be nice to have facts to talk about and to see the effect the agreement will have on each team and especially the Devils.

I think everyone including the fans wants this done.  I believe it will happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I check this site & aol to see if an announcement has come. It'll happen very soon I nope. Then Spectors' will heat up & we'll be tossing FA's names around like ping pong balls. Back to normal! Cant wait.

There is definitely a sense out there that "No News is Bad News".

Today is THE day. It's after the All-Star game. It's before baseball starts back up again. The timing is perfect to get all the headlines. If there is no agreement today, the likelyhood of this being all smoke and mirrors increases.

I'm not giving up on my 2007 prediction just yet.....