Flyers over the cap...

Don

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not over the cap.  Their RFA's have not signed contracts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right. But the offers are still on the table. If today Esche, Gagne, et all run in and sign their qualifiers, the Flyers are toast. They made the offer and they are liable for them. That money is due.

They are not over the cap.  Their RFA's have not signed contracts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is our answer. Clarke may be actually right this time. (for the time being)

The Bobby Clarke philosophy is splurge first-worry later.

I doubt this do-do bird actually has a clue what hes doing to his cap situation.

Obviously other gms know clarke's situation and hopefully will be offering bottom dollar for Flyers assets now.

Ring: Hello, Oh hi bobby. You want to trade Gagne? Yeah, I'll give you a 5th rounder.

Being ugly?

I guess everyone here is hoping that the Flyers pull a Rangers. A whole bunch of star individuals with no cohesive chemistry.

Unfortunately, they also have a good mix of youth with Carter and Richards.

they might have until oct 1 to get under the cap. who knows though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That seems to be the million dollar question - when do teams have to be under the cap?

It is crazy to me that this isn't public knowledge two weeks after the ratification of the CBA.

(Unless I just totally missed something)

:o

According to Spector's:

FROM THE MAILBAG: Scott Richards writes in : "Al Morganti was on WIP (which you can listen to on 610wip.com), and Flyers F.O. guy Ron Ryan called WIP to say that Jeremy Roenick IS NOT traded to the L.A.

Kings for draft picks. Roenick assumed it was he who was moved, and Ryan said that this was only one avenue the Flyers were exploring. The Flyers are said to possibly be moving (according to WIP) Handzus (whose

contract might not be enough alone) or more likely Desjardins, whose has a large salary cap number as well. When I hear more, I will let you know but there is a definite press conference to announce the signing

of Peter Forsberg, at 2 year and roughly 11.5 mil (which means the Flyers are approx. 3 mil over the cap - and Ryan also said that the Flyers DO NOT have to get back under until almost the start of the season). "

Thank you very much RD.

Excellent job today (that goes for all of the admins too).

So it would appear that teams have a nice window for flexiblity over the course of the next two months... interesting.

it's been posted before.  Actually on nhl.com's faq about the cba.  No team shall be over the max or under the min at anytime. 

NHL has to aprove all ransactions, I ASSUME that the tended offers wouldbn't be ratified until there is cap room,  the team would have o make room before the deals get finalized, maybe that is where the fines come in.  I wouldn't be suprised if they would be UFA's if they couldn't fit them into the cap,  That would be good.  Again purely guessing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that's true, then they bent the system and should be penalized.

If the system says you can be over the cap till such and such a date before the season ever starts then they didn't do anything wrong. What they did is put themselves in a position where the league collectively can if they want say 'f-you' and squeeze the Flyers' um, private parts by not trading with them so the Flyers are over the cap when it does matter.

Edited by Hasan4978

I really don't see this as a loophole. The Flyers have not given any of their players a paycheck. If anything, they're going to lose out because everyone knows they have to make a trade, so they will offer as little as possible. So I say let this continue.