Game Thread: Devils vs Rangers-10/8

Derek21

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils looked realy ragged at times, but came through w/ a great 3rd.

Broduer...  he is simply the best... nothing else to say...

what about goal - nongoal... how dies this happen 2 nights in a row to Nj"??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make it 3 games in a row for the Devils that they had to check upstairs for goals.

I can't believe the power just went out for a sec. Although I should because every town around me has been losing power on and off for the past 2 days. I'm on the fire department and we had a couple of transformers blow the other day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the power didn't go out. Some of the overhead lights apparently blew.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Notes:

The game was delayed about five minutes midway through the second period when the arena lights dimmed due to a weather-related power surge.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2005100811

Truthfully the Devils were atrocious for the first half of this game, and then picked it up in the third. It seems like the only line that is able to sustain any pressure in the zone is Gionta-Parise-Kozlov. Larry started juggling the lines and put Kozlov with Gomez and Almo, and then had the smurf line of Gionta-Parise-Brylin out for a couple of shifts.

I thought the PP looked seriously lost at times, but they did manage to construct the Almo goal - look what hapens when you get to the net!

PK was sold again - Madden and Pando made a bunch of subtle plays to negate shooting lains and limit chances.

I thought Rafalski played well and the rest of the defense was much more physical. Again Malakhov was solid, and made a couple of nice plays against Jagr one on one. White also played like a man possesed. The Devils did a nice job of limiting the Rucinsky/Nylander/Jagr line's chances, and the few that they mustered Marty was there. Marty was superb.

The Devils will have to start clearing rebounds and/or players from the front of their net because there have been too many instances of Marty making multiple saves and then allow a goal on the second or third swipe at it.

Edited by L

Just an observation from the upper deck. The Devils started hitting. When they saw they weren't getting penalized for hitting they really took off. It would have been a long week if they lost that game because they played like crap in the first 2 periods! :angry:

Edited by Rock

My take on the game tonight, the Devils thus far and the "new" NHL...

The Devils looked horrible tonight. Watch the game against the Pens and then watch this one. The difference is skating. Today tey all just sat with the puck and waited for it to magically appear down ice. With the new rules and the speed the Devils have, they should be drawing 2-3 hooking penalties a period. Another thing, when they pass it up in the neutral zone, the man they pass to is always skating the wrong way. It's so frustrating when they can't get anything going and keep passing to players skating towards the Devils net.

Honestly, the Devils look lost without the leadership of Stevens. Even with Niedermayer in there last season, they were still lost just not as bad as this year. They need to name a captain. I'd like to see Madden shine above the rest because he's got the fire that Mogilny and Rafalski just don't have but we need some serious leadership and drive. The whole team looks unmotivated. Maybe they're just getting back into the rhythm, who knows... Also, Langenbrunner just looks out of shape. He's slow, not really "with it" around the puck, y'know. Scary thing is he's looking kinda like Friesen last season. Hopefully he'll get his act together soon. We're going to need him.

Now to the "new" NHL... The delay-of-game penalties for defencemen who put the puck in the seats is the dumbest rule next to the shootout. Tonight there were two good examples (one each way) of the defencemen just trying to clear the zone while being pestered leading to penalties (both of which were questionable because of where the puck left the playing surface).

Overall, I'm not happy about this season. I know it's only a few games in, but if the Devils don't start turning it around it's going to be an ugly season...

-Dan

what i find just really funny abuot this is that you guys seem so frustrated by the devils...im just laughing about how much more frustrationg you guys would have if you guys were bruins fans...

the lack of desire they are playing with is remarkable...

i actually kidna like the "new NHL", i just really the flow. watching the canucks game and the bruins game today really showed me how much i jsut LOVE the back and forth. its wonderful. aside from that stupid box and the kind of irritating other things. i just thing hte flow really outweighs a lot of things that i find as irritances.