Why does't OLN have the pens/caps game?

DevsRule

Because it's a Flyer station :angry:.

I could say a lot about this topic but what the F is the point when the god damn league is out to lunch! They always will be!!!!! :rant:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. But you being a Ranger fan can't complain.. they've had like what.. 5? 6? 7 games on OLN? Geez, It's like everytime I watch a game it's Rangers-Pens, Rangers-Habs, Rangers-...........

Yeah, Tampa Bay - Philadelphia's a brutal matchup. Only the rematch of the 2004 ECF.

If it were Buffalo - Philadelphia, you might have a point. Washington and Pittsburgh have no other reason to watch other than Ovechkin vs. Crosby, and that's not even a real matchup anyway, since they're not on the ice together.

I'd like to see that game too, but is it really an important game? Both of those teams will miss the playoffs by a wide margin. And there's still 15 years to see Ovechkin and Crosby.

But Crosby vs. Ovechkin is supposed to be the "magic matchup" that the NHL should promote

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about St. Louis vs. Gagne? Lecavalier vs. Forsberg? What about those matchups? They're not any good?

I really don't see Crosby vs. Ovechkin against one another in a game as being that exciting until they meet in a playoff series - that's when it will get interesting. Otherwise, Tampa-Philadelphia's clearly the better overall game.

Just about everyone here complained when Mario Lemieux was overpromoted - now you think these guys are being underpromoted. Which is it? Ovechkin was on last week and Crosby will be on again soon enough.

What about St. Louis vs. Gagne?  Lecavalier vs. Forsberg?  What about those matchups?  They're not any good?

I really don't see Crosby vs. Ovechkin against one another in a game as being that exciting until they meet in a playoff series - that's when it will get interesting.  Otherwise, Tampa-Philadelphia's clearly the better overall game.

Just about everyone here complained when Mario Lemieux was overpromoted - now you think these guys are being underpromoted.  Which is it?  Ovechkin was on last week and Crosby will be on again soon enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't mind Tampa Bay and Philly but just because Crosby and Ovechkin are suppose to be the new faces of the NHL is a good enough reason to have them on OLN tonight.

What about St. Louis vs. Gagne?  Lecavalier vs. Forsberg?  What about those matchups?  They're not any good?

I really don't see Crosby vs. Ovechkin against one another in a game as being that exciting until they meet in a playoff series - that's when it will get interesting.  Otherwise, Tampa-Philadelphia's clearly the better overall game.

Just about everyone here complained when Mario Lemieux was overpromoted - now you think these guys are being underpromoted.  Which is it?  Ovechkin was on last week and Crosby will be on again soon enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anyone is discounting the matchup of Tampa Bay v. Philly, but for all the talk of the NHL needing to market its stars, it's clear that Ovechkin and Crosby will be at the forefront of that. Hell, the matchup was mentioned on multiple ESPN shows. Hockey getting lipservice on ESPN in a positive light? Will wonders never cease?

Yes, Crosby was mega-hyped coming into the season. Yes, a lot of us got sick of it and complained about it. But now that he's proving worthy of the hype (thus far), shouldn't the NHL use its media outlets to showcase him? The NBA was all too anxious to broadcast a Lebron-Carmello matchup when it first occurred, though few would look at a matchup of Cleveland-Denver as a great game in itself. The appeal of watching that game was to see two future superstars strut their stuff on cable TV. Why shouldn't the NHL follow suit in this case?

That being said, Tampa Bay v. Philly will be a good game, and the NHL will be able to market established stars in Forsberg, Lecavalier, and St. Louis. Still, my vote would be for Crosby-Ovechkin.

True. But you being a Ranger fan can't complain.. they've had like what.. 5? 6? 7 games on OLN? Geez, It's like everytime I watch a game it's Rangers-Pens, Rangers-Habs, Rangers-...........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any OLN game is not on my TV. So I'm not sure lucky is the right word.

Hey. I see the Devils are going to be on OLN soon.

Any OLN game is not on my TV. So I'm not sure lucky is the right word.

Hey. I see the Devils are going to be on OLN soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah...... well you write articles and stuff.. so you get to go to a lot of games (I'm assuming) so you're still lucky! :D

Yeah, Devs-Bruins next Tuesday on OLN

This was pretty simple - the defending cup champs against a perenial playoff contender, or, two perenial losers who fail to make the playoffs more often than they do.

Of greater concern though was the way they cut to an "in game look-in" or whatever they called it, show the caps on a 5 on 3 powerplay for a minute or so, then, just as one of the caps is about to one-time a crossice feed, they cut back to the studio and their lifeless bobbleheads, deer caught in the headlights looking, no on-air charisma, intermission crew.

It almost seems like they reached into a hat and pulled out their line up. They dropped the ball on a LOT of great matchups..starting with day one.. when they didn't choose to cover the Devils vs. Pens game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bettman told me in an interview that OLN had to pick and choose its lineup before the season based on the games that were available. The league is going to schedule games based on when OLN is going to broadcast them next season (i.e. more compelling games, and certainly more West Coast teams in prime time.)

As for last night, I think OLN just doesn't have the ability to turn around its operation from one game and set up for another game with only a few weeks' notice. This Crosby/Ovechkin match-up wasn't as hyped three weeks ago.

<JESTER>