All Star Defensemen For The East

GetReal

GetReal....Jaromir Jagr is coming down the ice one-on-one in OT in the playoffs with one of those defensemen you mentioned.....or go into the corner with Bertuzzi, Lindros, or Glenn Murray....Who would you want that defensman to be??? If you pick any of those guys over stevens you are on Crack!!! Those guys my be deserving for what they do in the box score but lets not lose sight of a defenseman's first responsibilites.

GO DEVILS!!!

Stevens makes it for the very same reasons Leetch does - past accomplishments. That being said, I do not have a problem with All-Star selections based upon that. I'd much rather see guys like that make it than the one-season wonders. Its the same in every sport, you finally go a year or two after you deserve, you make it a year or two longer than you deserve.

That being said, Leetch was voted in, no choice there, what I do not understand is how Stevens made it over the two Devil defensemen.

As for a Stevens / Leech comparison, you just cannot make it. What one can do the other just cannot.

A few years ago when both Stevens and Nieds went to the All-Star game and were paired together, they were not on for a single goal against. In fact, I think they were each a +6. They actually played defense. Leetch was a -6 in the same game. While you can argue that there might be better purely defensive defensemen now because Stevens is older, what exactly is wrong with having someone who WANTS to play defense go to the game?

I wouldn't Rag on Leetch for having a -6, I'm sure sure he just wanted to skate around and put a couple cannon shots on net. By the way GR, while you're bitching about Stevens going to the All Star game, you could also mention the ballot stuffing that sent Ozolinch to the game. I actually don't have a problem with that either, since the game is in Florida.

I wouldn't Rag on Leetch for having a -6, I'm sure sure he just wanted to skate around and put a couple cannon shots on net.

I'm not ragging on Leetch for the -6, Blackjack. He probably didn't want to play defense, and I understand that considering his offensive skills and the All-Star game format. But my point was that what is wrong with having someone who can play defense and wants to do so go to the game?

Oh, blah, GR just had nothing else to whine about today. When you're on an 8 game unbeaten streak, he has to scrape.

Next, he'll be bitching that Slapshot's accuracy with the T-Shirt cannon has been slipping lately and it's likely due to Lou Lam's shorting him during mascot arbitration.

I agree, nothing wrong with some nice defense in the all star game. Although Stevens might have to stop himself from upending some of the forwards that skate into the zone with their heads down :D

If they skate through the middle with their head down....then they deserve to get hit.

It's part of the game ......