Plane Terror Plot Disrupted in England

thefiestygoat

Not sure if this goes here or in politics. Move it as you see fit.

Sky News

Police say they have disrupted a major plot to blow up as many as 20 planes over UK and US cities with explosive devices smuggled aboard as hand luggage.

Thank God this was stopped. Good job to all the authorities who prevented another tragedy.

I think these threats have been going on for years, just now all the governments feel the need to make it public after 9/11, which is a good thing IMO.

Well, I'm certainly not against the people's right to know; but I wish people wouldn't over-react.

I was helping conduct a study in 1998 of police services in a small town along the road between Ottawa and Toronto. We knocked on peoples doors asking if they thought that the police were doing a good job and whether, in their opinion, crime had gone up or down over the last 10 years. Virtually the whole survey said that crime had gone up. However, statistics didn't bear that out. Certainly by reported crime numbers, complaints had been down drastically since 1988. And we also asked people if they had reported a crime and/or had been a victim of a crime (unreported). Even comparing 1998 extrapolated figured of all crime (reported or not reported), crime was still well below what was reported in 1988. Which left the police scratching their heads. We gave them the report, as is, and let them draw their own conclusions. Crime was well down, but people were convinced that it was through the roof.

Off the record, we could tell them what our own personal feelings were, but not as part of the study. Most of us were in agreement that the 5 o'clock news concentrates on crime, particularly violent crime, and therefore the people think it is common. Then they get paranoid and scared of everything. So long as the news reports the exceptions, people will consider it the norm.

I don't live my life in fear of some terrorist trying to blow up my plane. I'm far more afraid of dying crossing the street in rush hour traffic... those people don't look where the hell they are goin'. I'm pretty sure statistics would bear my fear out. I'm more likely to die in a car-on-pedestrian accident than being killed by a terrorist. But car-on-pedestrian accidents are not on CNN.

Edited by Don

I don't live my life in fear of some terrorist trying to blow up my plane. I'm far more afraid of dying crossing the street in rush hour traffic... those people don't look where the hell they are goin'. I'm pretty sure statistics would bear my fear out. I'm more likely to die in a car-on-pedestrian accident than being killed by a terrorist. But car-on-pedestrian accidents are on CNN.

Hell yes. Paranoia is a very big problem now, espcially with lots of 24-hour news channels. Big news is what makes news sell. As scared of it as people are, they still want to know the worst that is out there....only problem, by reporting the worst people think it is the norm as Don says.

And Rowdy.....flying isn't worth the hassle? You don't want to see the world?

Yes, all the security issues with flying are a pain....but people take advantage of the freedoms provided and those freedoms then get revoked. Honestly I was very pissed off by the governments recent retraction of the security protocols put in place after 11th September 2001.....yes they are saving money and time...but at what cost?

None of these "terror" events will stop me flying....the odds are on your side...think how many people around the world fly every day. I really am more scared of being killed in may car or crossing the street, I certainly don't take risks there, always look both ways and keep looking.

EDIT: Yay, my 500th post. I am now a senior Devil, woohoo. And yet, still a mere fraction of a sammyk.

Edited by ThreeStars

Crasher -- all liquids are banned? Good because we were all just saying carry on a powdered explosive and order a nice bottled water... hey :unsure: What about rest rooms?

Saw it on FOX news this morning... only baby bottles of juice and forumla/mommy's milk are allowed on the plane AND a parent has to taste test it.... kinky ain't it ?? B )

thank god we flew yesterday!!

Seems to be that peaceful :rolleyes: Muslim Religion responsible.....AGAIN.

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long to use this beauty.... :evil:

arnt I so smert? :lol:

post-909-1155249170_thumb.gif

Do NOT kill all muslims!! :pray:

Do NOT kill all muslims!! :pray:

It is just a cool T-shirt I found. sheesh. Didn't say anything about killin. yer reading too much into it! :lol:

Even before 9/11, I felt that flying wasn't worth the hassle. Events since then have only served to strengthen this conviction.

I'll keep drivin my gas hog never was a huge fan of flyin anyway.

Crasher -- all liquids are banned? Good because we were all just saying carry on a powdered explosive and order a nice bottled water... hey :unsure: What about rest rooms?

Bisquik?? :unsure:

Okay. So how do they go about *FINDING* liquids?!?!

I just bought the new Lewis Black album and he had a segment on how he wasn't allowed to bring an empty lighter on the plane. He was allowed to bring matches. But not an EMPTY lighter: "What am I going to do? Sort through my carry-on, find a vial of lighter fluid, fill up the lighter, pull out a bomb and light it.... or use a match?"