Hockey Hall of Fame

NJayDevil

Went up to Toronto last weekend before classes started and first stop was the HHoF.

Great setup, great fun. The Cup was there and there wasn't much of a line at all so I got to touch, kiss, and take plenty of photos with it. Overall I thought Toronto was a wonderful city. Similiar to Sydney, but just not as developed on the water front.

Other than seeing all the trophies and the Cup, my favorite part(s) were reading up on all the dynasties, the shrine to Gretzky's 802nd goal, and the fact that the first symbol you see when walking past the admissions stand is a Devils jersey with Stevens on the back. :)

I was there the summer of 2000. Sorry to break it to you, but the Stanley Cup they keep there isn't the real one. One of the guards who was standing with the supposed Cup told me the real one is constantly going all over the world for photo things and whatever, such as the one in Continental they had a few years ago. He said they keep an imitation Cup there so they don't lose visitors.

I was there the summer of 2000. Sorry to break it to you, but the Stanley Cup they keep there isn't the real one. One of the guards who was standing with the supposed Cup told me the real one is constantly going all over the world for photo things and whatever, such as the one in Continental they had a few years ago. He said they keep an imitation Cup there so they don't lose visitors.

Yes they use a stand-in cup, but there are times when the real cup is there. When I was there they told me I lucked out. In another half hour the "Presentation Cup" had to attend a function in Toronto. They said they would close down the hall for about 10 minutes so they could make the switch. So the "real one" was there when I was. B )

Once June hits, of course the real one is doing the winners tour all over the world. With camps opening I assume the tour is now over and now is the time for the engraving of the winner's names.

I was there in 2000. It was a year after the Stars were given the Cup because of Bettman's strong desires to have a team south of the ma$on dixon line win it all, so seeing the Cup for me as a Sabres fan was bittersweet.

When I was looking at the Cup, I said to the guy who was working there at the time, "Do you have any whiteout, I want to take off the 99 Stars from this Cup"...and he said with a smart ass tone "Who do you like" and I said "Buffalo" and he says..."Well I doubt your team will ever be on this Cup"...and I asked him who he liked, and he said like a proud father "Leafs"...so I started looking around the Cup...and asked him..."wait, where are they on here...oh all the way up here, I think there is some dust collecting on the 1967 portion of the Cup"

One example why I loathe the Leaf$

Dammit Sabres, win it this year! :argh::lol:

The *real* cup is always there.

From http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/22/Tampabay...ns_runnet.shtml

-The bowl that currently sits atop the trophy is a copy of the original purchased in the early 1890s by Lord Stanley, the Earl of Preston and governor general of Canada. It now resides in the Hall of Fame in Toronto, after it grew brittle and was retired in 1969.

But it's in the room off to the side of where you get your picture taken with the Cup. Most people prefer to get their picture taken with the replica than with the real bowl. Real bowl is boring. They also keep the old rings that they had to strip off in the same room with the old bowl.

I'm not 100% sure that there is *ANYTHING* left of the trophy that Lord Stanley bought that is incorporated in the trophy the players hold over their heads after winning it all. Which would make the Grey Cup the oldest trophy in professional sports! Woo!

The *real* cup is always there.

From http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/22/Tampabay...ns_runnet.shtml

-The bowl that currently sits atop the trophy is a copy of the original purchased in the early 1890s by Lord Stanley, the Earl of Preston and governor general of Canada. It now resides in the Hall of Fame in Toronto, after it grew brittle and was retired in 1969.

But it's in the room off to the side of where you get your picture taken with the Cup. Most people prefer to get their picture taken with the replica than with the real bowl. Real bowl is boring. They also keep the old rings that they had to strip off in the same room with the old bowl.

I'm not 100% sure that there is *ANYTHING* left of the trophy that Lord Stanley bought that is incorporated in the trophy the players hold over their heads after winning it all. Which would make the Grey Cup the oldest trophy in professional sports! Woo!

Yeah I didn't like changing designations like that. :P Next thread on HHoF Cups, I'll use "Presentation Cup" "Stand In Cup" and "Original Bowl or Cup" to distinguish the three. B )

I visited in June of this year, probably my favorite museum I ever visited. I'm probably going back up to Toronto sometime next year when a buddy of mine from Denver who grew up there, returns to see his relatives and really show me around Toronto. First place I'll visit will again be the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Edited by E-Devil

I asked the same thing to the guard standing there because I know about the Presentation Cup and he assured me it was the real one. Just by looking at it, with all the scratches, faded spots on the base, bumps I thought it was the real one too. Also seems kinda late in the summer for one of the 'Canes to still have the Cup for a day as well. If I were there on July 11th or something and saw the Cup then I would realize it wasn't the real one.

and the fact that the first symbol you see when walking past the admissions stand is a Devils jersey with Stevens on the back.

Too bad it's practically the ONLY piece of memorabilia of the New Jersey Devils.

I've been there a handful of times. I was lucky enough to go in 2003 when the Devils had just won it, and that huge wall-sized picture of the team was all New Jersey :evil: I was just there a few weeks ago and it's definitely changed some aspects since my last visit.

If you go to the Hall of Fame, make sure you leave some time to take the Air Canada Centre tour. It runs every hour from 10am-4pm. Just show up at the Galleria, Gate 1 and purchase a ticket. ($12) We got to stand at centre ice and were taken into the locker rooms as well as the set they shoot HNIC on. Ironically enough, we also were shown Tie Domi's private box. :doh1: Fun time, even if it is Leaf-oriented.

Edited by jbech

Never been I think probably the closest I've been to toronto is when I was in West Virginia. Don't usually visit the east coast too long of a flight. The only big city in Canada i've been to was Edmonton.

Deadmonton smells, of course i say everywhere stinks :noclue: Did you go to Wanye gretzky Drive and see the low class area it's in?

Ive been to the Hall Of Fame in TO . I got my picture with the real cup when it was here a few years back.

jbech: Are you sure it was 2003? Maybe they make a new poster every year. :noclue: I was there in 2000 and they had this poster up:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/don_...KodakMoment.jpg

Every year the Stanley Cup Winner's Center Ice picture is replaced with the current champion. It's been that way for 10+ years now.

Edited by RicPerrott

Deadmonton smells, of course i say everywhere stinks :noclue: Did you go to Wanye gretzky Drive and see the low class area it's in?

Ive been to the Hall Of Fame in TO . I got my picture with the real cup when it was here a few years back.

No we basically stayed in the mall the week I think it was we were there. We drove from here to there so it kinda sucked. Edmonton was allright but yeah some parts did kind of smell. there were alot of places I wanted to go but never made it but that happens all the time. I've been to Vegas twice and still haven't seen everything I want to.

The malls alright, we rented a room there last weekend and once my family stayed there for a couple weeks many eons ago. The best part of that mall is the wicked wave pool though...

The malls alright, we rented a room there last weekend and once my family stayed there for a couple weeks many eons ago. The best part of that mall is the wicked wave pool though...

Yeah we also got the room in the mall which was kind of cool. The wave pool was allright but my favorite thing there was the arcades. Especially since I got addicted to Police 911 there and played for a few hours. I also got a little addicted to I think it was called Taco Time it kills Taco Bell in my opinion.

No way, Taco Bell owns Taco Time all the way. Did you go in the submarine or the skating rink?

No way, Taco Bell owns Taco Time all the way. Did you go in the submarine or the skating rink?

I liked taco time better not sure why I just thought it was better. I did go in the submarine thing but not the ice rink though I did see it once or twice. I also heard somebody in a card shop talking to a sales person about how he didn't want the government in his business I can't remember the whole conversation but I just thought it was funny.