48 Hours in Free Agent Hell

msweet

http://thefourthperiod.com/columnists/wyshynski.html

TFP Columnist Greg Wyshynski has kept his keen eyes and rapier wit tuned to the last two days of free-agent madness, and has 48 pithy observations and contemptible jokes to show for it.

(WASHINGTON, DC) -- It is noon on Tuesday, July 3. Exactly 48 hours have passed since the horn sounded, the whistle blew, and every warm body without a contract or the shackles of restricted free agency entered the open market with the self-assured optimism of a gorgeous single blonde in a miniskirt strutting into a sports bar on a Friday evening.

The last two days of NHL free agency reminded me of the sci-fi film "Dark City," in which sinister aliens literally recreate the landscape of a metropolis while the unsuspecting citizenry sleeps.

Sturdy buildings suddenly collapse, tenements are speedily transformed into mansions, and the Flyers become legitimate contenders instead of lottery fodder

I really liked the article..But this really made me laugh:

27. Smyth said that Joe Sakic called him up and "helped the process along" in getting him to sign with Colorado. Reportedly, the sales pitch went like this: "Dude, you'll be able to help us keep Kevin Lowe's team out of the playoffs, and I promise you'll be at least 500 miles from wherever Alexei Yashin ends up."

14. Full disclosure: I'm a New Jersey boy and a Devils fan. I don't want to say the last 48 hours have been devastating, but the moment I heard Gomez and Rafalski had both bolted, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" cut out and everything suddenly went black...

This one is also funny..

1. Can TSN legally bring a collusion case against every general manager in the NHL for withholding all the blockbusters until after its studio special ended? Seriously, for a while there I thought the boys were going to base an entire show around whether Todd White deserved that fourth year with the Thrashers...

Looks like there is little recourse for the Oilers. I watched a clip from TSN regarding this situation and without a signed player contract past history between Mike Vernon and the Wings renegging on a deal dictates that the Oilers will lose just as Vernon did. Sadly the reporter also said Nylander didn't want to go to Edmonton so much that he took less money from Washington. He felt the winters would be too harsh on his wife and 6 kids. And this coming from a guy from Sweden! :giggle:

Funny article, btw. :lol: