NHL 08 demo

stevestevens

I just dled and played the new NHL 08 demo on 360. Its actually much better done then last years, the checking works now. Pronger can check the crap out of someone but Sealene can give the a push, so it evens up. And the shooting works much better also, Heatly can fire bullets while players like Niel can just aim it in the direction. Its much better than last years, they even included the plays where someone stands infront of the net and tries to deflect it. I cant wait until the game drops on sep 11.

I downloaded the demo last night on the 360. Maybe someone can explain to me how the hell you move and shoot, because I find it to be retarded compared to NHL 07. It says you use the left stick to skate, and when you do, the guy doesn't move or moves very slow. It says to use the right stick to shoot, but when you do, the guy just leaves the puck behind like a drop pass. So please- explain EA's infinite wisdom to me because so far, my opinion of this game is it's fvcked.

R button works great.

One smart thign to do if your ahving trouble scoring is if you can get into the zone and pass it to the blue line and take a slaptshot because the players will go infront of the net and deflect the pucks in. Turning works well if you use the L stick, to make sharp turns do more of a slam to change the direction of the players. Crossing over you turn to the direction of the player and move towards him and if you pass the new player go towards the opposite direct, if your skating and want them to switch sides go straight and theyll automaticcly switch for you.

NOTE: some players are better at seeing then others, others will imediatly cross while others will need more time to, same as the player going infront of the net and etc.

I think the defense still sucks to be honest, but you could only play the demo on pro so I didn't really get to test it much since the computer barely got 1 shot on goal per game. Scoring is way to easy on pro.

Yeah, the lame ass defence is what kills the game for me. Especially the forced backwards skating with no lateral mobility.

I downloaded and gave this a whirl a few nights ago myself. Not bad and it's even within the realm of possibility I may buy my first new NHL game in about 3 years. ;) $60 is still going to be hard to justify though considering I actually get more quality gameplay out of some of the cheaper arcade titles, such as the absolute masterpiece that is Space Giraffe. :P

<flame suit on>

Edited by Googer