How is everyone doing

stevestevens

Congrats! Hope it all works out. Even if its crappy pay and no bennies it'll definitely help you in gaining experience and all.

Damn, commuting into NYC all through winter, not too fun.

So, they're gonna get you drunk huh? We're ready for more drama! :evil:

Thanks! .. and don't remind me... in the snow will be brutal I'm going to have to buy those funky colored rubber boots. Haha.

And I don't know about that whole drunk part -- isn't it inappropriate to be intoxicated in front of co-workers. :P It was very strange how he brought up drinking though it was kind of unprofessional, but then again, he just started working there and was my age so I'm not sure he really knows what is professional and what isn't based on the fact that he didn't even read my resume.

But I am sure there will be some drama.

Best wishes with that LA. Hope it works out.

Thanks! :)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! .. and don't remind me... in the snow will be brutal I'm going to have to buy those funky colored rubber boots. Haha.

And I don't know about that whole drunk part -- isn't it inappropriate to be intoxicated in front of co-workers. :P It was very strange how he brought up drinking though it was kind of unprofessional, but then again, he just started working there and was my age so I'm not sure he really knows what is professional and what isn't based on the fact that he didn't even read my resume.

But I am sure there will be some drama.

Funky colored rubber boots? Galoshes? They make them in funky colors now? Damn I'm out of the loop!

Yah, I'd say it's a bit inappropriate. He should know what is professional, I mean you do right? He probably just thought what he was doing was a waste of time and he'd rather be googling something. :evil: His opinion probably doesn't count anyway.

As for intoxication in front of co-workers, I'v had a boss or two get drunk in my presence...after hours of course...:whistling:

Funky colored rubber boots? Galoshes? They make them in funky colors now? Damn I'm out of the loop!

Yah, I'd say it's a bit inappropriate. He should know what is professional, I mean you do right? He probably just thought what he was doing was a waste of time and he'd rather be googling something. :evil: His opinion probably doesn't count anyway.

As for intoxication in front of co-workers, I'v had a boss or two get drunk in my presence...after hours of course...:whistling:

Yuuuup they do. Though I've been told by various people that I should just "suck it up" and wear heels on the bus/subway/walk to the office as it is a major faux pas to wear anything but on the way to work---but I'm just thinking about that snow and it's hard enough to navigate my way around in heels since I can be a bit clumsy.

Like these 86972_WC9779.jpg or 65713_WW3737.jpg

They are ugly though. I can't really wear flats though since I'm only 5'1" and all my pants are the correct length for heels. So this may be a problem. I guess I could buy cheap heeled shoes at payless that I don't care about just so I don't ruin good shoes in yucky weather and not care so much if my feet are in pain.

Re: the guy who interviewed me--or was supposed to-- you're right I knew it was unprofessional he was just being a you-know-what. I would never say, "The program is a good time.. we'll go out and get you drunk." And he was like, "It's a lot of work.. you know... whatever...it sort of sucks right now."

Wow, those are ugly. I didn't think it was possible to make something ugly even uglier.

You need to tell these various people that they're clueless. I mean there are so many women that wear sneakers on their commute and switch out with a pair they keep at work. Hell, they even do it in suburban offices. Yah, maybe you shouldn't go in on the first day like that but once you're settled in then definitely.

Damn, it must be late if I'm giving shoe related advice :wacko:, someone who wears nothing but sneakers almost everywhere! :P

I cannot fall asleep on public transportation, I feel like I am gonna get molested.

I will never get drunk around co-workers. A company I used to work for had a very awkward Xmas party when a senior married manager proclaimed in a drunken roar that she wanted me to come home with her. The owner wasn't amused with the drunken display and the next two parties I participated in with them were alcohol free.

Wow DM, that sounds awkward.

I love drunked work parties.... I mostly behave.. although I will get buzzed...and I get to see sides of some people I never knew existed.. its sort of hilarious.

We had a hotel party one year where things got nuts because many of us got rooms after, lots of single good looking people.

This past year... with the teachers... one teacher peed herself and 2 others got hammered... all over age 50...and all very proper people at work...so it was all very funny.

Anyhow, i dont like to complain on message bords about personal thigns.. but while I am posting in this thread... I will say that Im working without a contract... and im not happy about it because there is nothing We can realy do to take a stand... if it affects the kids.. and all of ti does. We cant leave on time and come in on time, because it affects the kids...we need to stick to our normal earlier times.. and we cant not grade papers cause it affects the kids. I was suppose to be getting close to a 5k raise beacuse I finished my Masters and instead my check is actually 300 less per check because of Union dues/pension etc. So frustrating.

Yeah, i go to a school with over 3700 students and they cut funding for agenda books, chalk, gym activities (they gave me POWERWALKING!?! i walk in a circle in the gym for 35 minutes) books (i dont even have an english book, whenever we read books the teacher scans copies of the story and hands them out), yet they get brand new uniforms for the football team which dosent effect me at all as a student, teachers all got raises and other various crap that effects my education by bettering themselves.

I think you should get a raise because you worked to receive it. Im against all the teachers getting paid more just because they decide too. Its unfair to me a student that teachers get paid more evn though they have nothing more to offer me.

Well the raises are normally minimal.. .Our pay scale goes up by steps.. .there are 16 steps total.. and the raise is about 800 a step.. but you dont go up a step a year... like in 5 years you would be on a step 2 or 3. I dont find that a problem.. because just like any job, you get raises... I mean an administrative asst has nothing else to offer or a secretary and they still get raises. I was a cashier at Pathmark when i was young, i still got raises. But our problem is on top of not getting our raises they want to cut our benefits and add 20 more minutes onto our work day... If they are going to do those things they should still give us the raise.

I know its a useless cause arguing a teachers side... and I dont even know what high school teaching is like on the teaching end.. but teachers do so much extra stuff that students and people not working in a school district are not aware of.

Something as simple as recommendations for high school students...that can take up hours and hours or a techers time each year that they dont get paid for.... something that without a contract, they are telling teachers not to write... for the students to get into college.... and the parents are furious at the teachers who are saying no, when our union is telling them not to. Unfortunately, while you can go against what your union says, the rest of your collegueas would not appreciate it because it shows the board we will work no matter what crap they pull.

But ya - I wont get into it :) Because Im tired of hearing I am a glorified babysitter..

That sucks langs. Hope they pull it together for you soon.

DM you need therapy. molested??? :rofl:

LA03, Congrats on the position. Hope you get a sweet resume out of it. I think the dude in yer interview with the cool act was just mackin on a pretty girl.

&

As much as I'd prefer to see you walking in front of me on the way to work in heels, you gotta get yerself some traveling shoes and foul weather shoes for yer commute.

Of course, lunches and heading out after work, (you know to get hammered with yer new buddy :lol: ) you should keep up the good appearances. :uni:

How far from the City are you? If I remember correctly, you're Northern Jersey, right?

Yep, Northern NJ. I take the DeCamp bus from West Caldwell. I think I'm going to start taking the train in from Newark though

(My dad works in Newark so he can drive me to the station in the morning and I'll just take the DeCamp bus home --that will save me $2 a day--doesn't sound like much but it adds up.)

LA03, Congrats on the position. Hope you get a sweet resume out of it.

As much as I'd prefer to see you walking in front of me on the way to work in heels, you gotta get yerself some traveling shoes and foul weather shoes for yer commute.

Of course, lunches and heading out after work, (you know to get hammered with yer new buddy :lol: ) you should keep up the good appearances. :uni:

Thanks! Haha yeah I'm definitely wearing sneakers in to work tomorrow as my feet are KILLING me. I was practically limping home today from the bus stop. Lol and I'll be sure to remember heels after work. ;)

The conference room we sat in today was about 80 degrees all day because the air isn't on in the office anymore. It was not fun. Also, since some people in the group don't have any PR background we went over stuff like how to write a press release today and that was sort of boring to me since I majored in PR, but it's always good to brush up I guess. Tomorrow we have more orientation stuff and then friday we get put into our groups after lunch. That's when the real work begins. Today I found out I'm in the Healthcare practice and I'll be working with pharma companies. I was hoping for something a little more on the "fun" side, but it should be challenging.

Mougaagaga, my English teacher, have sent for about 10-12people in our Principale sector(Secondary 3-4) office...Because they were all late, and he was upset about it(It was like their first late -2lates for the year) And the 10-12studens may have a "remise de temps"(Retenue? you know, you stay after school to copy load of lines) And two of my mates(We're having a project) were in the "lates" so I had nothing to do for the rest of the period.I hate that teacher.

For the last 2days I've been in Math rushing(I have an exam tommorow, counts for about 20%-25% of the term) And for the first one I had 52%..Now I studied hard, did all the homeworks to prepare for the exam and I hope it works out.. :)

Edited by TravisZajac

...I'll be working with pharma companies. I was hoping for something a little more on the "fun" side, but it should be challenging.

My school has homecoming next friday, and i just got my ticket to go.

The one thing i hate about these is, when you dont have a date, everyone tries to force one on you.

I dont really plan on bringing anyone just because its more fun to go without a date, i mean prom is a differant story, but not homecoming.

So far ive had 6 of my friends, and my sister all try to get me to go with their friends.

OBHS sucks!...just kidding man. Good luck with that.

I'm doing pretty good, just started a new job at NAPA today. Basically I spend my entire afternoon just driving around to gas stations and auto shops randomly delivering parts. It fits in good with my schedule, its Monday-Friday and it allows me to keep my nights open to study and work out. Now I can start paying off all my credit cards that I used for school this semester. :P

The OBHS sucks part might be true, its not a great school. I mean, its ahrd to be, there is literally (and exactly) 801 kids in my senior class and over 3000 in the school. Its actually been better this year, theyre making it alittle fun.

NAPA sounds like a good job, theyll probably treat you well at it. I wish you luck on your new job!

Life's been pretty alright for me. Just doing my thing. Got another tattoo yesterday around my ankle, dropped a nice $300 on it but it came out fantastic. It's my fourth tattoo...looking to get another one soon -- they're friggen addicting. Not good for an aspiring school teacher.

Eh, as long as I don't get my arms done...or invest in a lot of long sleeved shirts. =p

Life's been pretty alright for me. Just doing my thing. Got another tattoo yesterday around my ankle, dropped a nice $300 on it but it came out fantastic. It's my fourth tattoo...looking to get another one soon -- they're friggen addicting. Not good for an aspiring school teacher.

Eh, as long as I don't get my arms done...or invest in a lot of long sleeved shirts. =p