Slap Shots: Brooks exclusive

Derek21

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09302007/sport...ng_the_nice.htm

"We have repeatedly expressed our belief that individual clubs could achieve the same or better results by entering the new media business on their own terms, rather than being mandated to submit to a league-wide initiative. Moreover, the NHL's projection of revenues and implementation of this plan has been flawed - the June projected results were already $12.6 million behind plan for the first two years, even after reducing spending by $2.7 million."

According to one source, the NHL projects revenue of merely $4 million through European enterprises this season, that compared to the approximately $125 million the NBA is believed to generate from its international endeavors. Despite a player base that's greater than 30 percent European, the NHL has failed to take any meaningful initiatives regarding globalization, just as it has failed to take any meaningful economic initiatives at all - other than redesigning its clubs' uniforms to capitalize on retail sales, that is.

"After sacrificing a season to set our player cost economics on a proper footing, we believe that the League continues to squander opportunities to improve our business and solidify and grow our fan base," Dolan wrote. "The proper focus for the league is the growth of interest in the game as a whole, both in North America and internationally - and we support that focus.

The NHL is unable or unwilling to generate revenues on a national or international scale. As such, the league now intends to siphon unique club revenues into its Sixth Avenue pot, the better to divvy up, don't you see? Dolan sees. And he, the Garden and Rangers don't intend to stand for it.

"We can no longer stand by idly and let the League continue to impair our rights, force us to ignore proper growth opportunities and attempt to make us submit to central control and cede our right to compete individually," Dolan wrote in closing. "I welcome the opportunity to discuss our position with you directly."

I dont see how it could hurt. marketing the rangers independently indirectly helps the league, and through that promotion could lead to revenues for other teams by their affiliation with the rangers. I am all for the rangers spending the money they make that other teams cant afford to spend if it helps make hockey more popular worldwide. It's within their rights, and its horrible that the league wants to steal revenue from them so they can not use it, or squander it with their stupidity.

I am not normally a hater on the league like most people here are, but league does enough to the most profitable clubs via revenue sharing. The way they are limiting them in other ways is overstepping their bounds, and I think it is awful. I think it is alright for the league to impose rules that ensure that independent actions by teams do not jeopardize other clubs (as they should be protecting all 30 teams), but beyond that a team has the right to sell their IP as they see fit. And if they have the cash to get the job done, then they should. I would rather see hockey fans worldwide wearing rags jerseys than any NBA jersey (even if it was from a NBA team that I like, of which I dont like any but you get the point)

the rags have every right to be pissed.

"The proper focus for the league is the growth of interest in the game as a whole, both in North America and internationally - and we support that focus.

You may never see a better example of hypocrisy than this statement. Dolan through his control of the MSG network, and FSNY, has for years held hostage hockey TV rights in a bid to further fatten his own wallet. Remember his "metro" channel, and how after no other cable companies wanted to carry it he started to move the hockey broadcasts, be it Rangers, Devils, and Islanders, to that channel effectively freezing out thousands of potential fans who did not subscribe to Cablevision. Or how about the fact that Dolan, and his Cablevision empire to this day will not allow the HD feeds for all MSG, and FSNY games to be broadcast anywhere except on Cablevision. They are even so bold as to announce it on commercials during the broadcast "The most sports in HD, only on Cable(vision), never on sattellite, or phone company TV". Wouldn't those HD broadcasts go a long way in helping grow the sport? They support the growth of interest in the game as long as it benefits them.

Chris

Edited by chrisg19

And now it's time for the ^7^ Conspiracy Theory™:

By taking over and effectively silencing one of the best marketing engines in the league, Bettman is artificially forcing revenues down, and by extension salaries stay down as well. Just another example of how -- say it with me now -- Bettman is ruining the sport.

You may never see a better example of hypocrisy than this statement. Dolan through his control of the MSG network, and FSNY, has for years held hostage hockey TV rights in a bid to further fatten his own wallet. Remember his "metro" channel, and how after no other cable companies wanted to carry it he started to move the hockey broadcasts, be it Rangers, Devils, and Islanders, to that channel effectively freezing out thousands of potential fans who did not subscribe to Cablevision. Or how about the fact that Dolan, and his Cablevision empire to this day will not allow the HD feeds for all MSG, and FSNY games to be broadcast anywhere except on Cablevision. They are even so bold as to announce it on commercials during the broadcast "The most sports in HD, only on Cable(vision), never on sattellite, or phone company TV". Wouldn't those HD broadcasts go a long way in helping grow the sport? They support the growth of interest in the game as long as it benefits them.

Chris

Same thing in Philthy Comcast hold on to Cryers and Sixers game they will not

show CSN on Sat.

Edited by Devilish34

I find irony in him complaining about the NHL monopoly on the websites while his company maintains a monopoly on local HD sports stations.

Despite that, he's got a point.

If the league brings a technology platform that allows them to have highlights at the same quality level as NFL.com, I'm all for it. I don't care about getting my news from them, I just want a consistent source of high quality video.